• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
First of all, those will probably not be Uber-busy days. If it was me, I’d start early. Boot up at Midway Lodge and try to be at the quad before eight. Ski that for a while and if you want to follow lift openings go to the Gondola at nine. Late day is a nice time to be at Spruce. Or if it gets stupid go to Spruce until the crowds get smaller and then go back for more quad laps.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With it being President's Day Weekend I'm blacked out this coming weekend, but hoping to still ski somewhere. Thinking about hiking or a riding a smaller mountain near Sunday River. I've heard Mt. Abram and Black Mountain of Maine offers discount tickets for Sunday River pass holders on blackout days...anyone have any intel on this?

Don't go to Black Mtn whatever you do. Stay far away and I recommend playing skier pinball at crowded Sunday River. Pay full price for the SR ticket, befriend the ski industry.

OKay, I will come clean. I skied Black Mtn (Rumford, ME and not the one in NH) for the first time this past Sunday. It was fabulous. I am not inclined to share what a hidden, uncrowded gem it is on a public website. I want to keep it a secret for myself. Their normal weekend ticket is $45. They do offer the 1/2 price blackout deal. I am not sure if they will do it for my Ikon pass, but I will check this coming weekend, I am going back for sure. It has 1400 ft vertical and about 50 runs. The Glades are absolutely outstanding. The whole place is an example of what great things that light skier traffic does for trail conditions. The mountain skied great last weekend. It is closed during the week, so it will be even better this weekend. Crowded at this mtn (based on what other skiers said) means you have to wait for 4 chairs before its your turn. I waited for 2 chairs max last weekend. There is one top to bottom lift that you ride all day long, but it feeds the whole mtn and there is good variety in their terrain. If you are into backcountry or skinning, this place is a paradise. The Angry Beavers have done a really good job at this mtn. (I will end it on that note). I will be on my AT gear this weekend for sure.

Not sure about a discount at Mt Abrams, its a pretty low priced ticket as well. Its smaller than Black, 1000 vertical, and more of a low budget mtn. They don't make much snow, but with enough natural it is pretty good for a day.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
OKay, I will come clean. I skied Black Mtn (Rumford, ME and not the one in NH) for the first time this past Sunday. It was fabulous. I am not inclined to share what a hidden, uncrowded gem it is on a public website. I want to keep it a secret for myself. Their normal weekend ticket is $45. They do offer the 1/2 price blackout deal. I am not sure if they will do it for my Ikon pass, but I will check this coming weekend, I am going back for sure. It has 1400 ft vertical and about 50 runs. The Glades are absolutely outstanding. The whole place is an example of what great things that light skier traffic does for trail conditions. The mountain skied great last weekend. It is closed during the week, so it will be even better this weekend. Crowded at this mtn (based on what other skiers said) means you have to wait for 4 chairs before its your turn. I waited for 2 chairs max last weekend. There is one top to bottom lift that you ride all day long, but it feeds the whole mtn and there is good variety in their terrain. If you are into backcountry or skinning, this place is a paradise. The Angry Beavers have done a really good job at this mtn. (I will end it on that note). I will be on my AT gear this weekend for sure.

Thanks, this seems to be consistent with the feedback I've heard about the mountain in general.

Now that I've read this, feel free to delete, as you feel necessary ;) Also, feel free to PM if you have any additional feedback you'd rather not put out in the open, or if you're around and want some skinning partners (I'll be out with my husband this weekend...no plans solidified, just somewhere near SR).

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
First of all, those will probably not be Uber-busy days. If it was me, I’d start early. Boot up at Midway Lodge and try to be at the quad before eight. Ski that for a while and if you want to follow lift openings go to the Gondola at nine. Late day is a nice time to be at Spruce. Or if it gets stupid go to Spruce until the crowds get smaller and then go back for more quad laps.

Thanks! Hoping you're right.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Stowe- I prefer the lookout lodge. Hard to imagine midway gondola being less busy?

Black - my friend and his young family like it a lot. G

Abram - about 20 minutes from sunday river. has a trail called cliff and a cool bar. Less expensive lodging close to the mtn and you could ski one day at sunday river and one at abram and another at black!

Sunday river - it gets busy at the typical times but is manageable if you get there early and break at 11.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't go to Black Mtn whatever you do. Stay far away and I recommend playing skier pinball at crowded Sunday River. Pay full price for the SR ticket, befriend the ski industry.

Not sure about a discount at Mt Abrams, its a pretty low priced ticket as well. Its smaller than Black, 1000 vertical, and more of a low budget mtn. They don't make much snow, but with enough natural it is pretty good for a day.

@ScottB , how was the cover on the natural snow trails? I was there on MLK weekend for all the reasons you mention, and it was very bony off piste.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I love Mt. Abram and likely will be there Sunday.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@ScottB , how was the cover on the natural snow trails? I was at Black on MLK weekend for all the reasons you mention, and it was very bony off piste.

It was pretty good on their natural trails. Full coverage, no dirt, on all. There were a few spots that I would call "just enough" snow and I typically would choose to avoid them, which was easy to do by skiing to one side or the other. The glades were filled in much better and you could ski almost anywhere. The trails probably showed the effect of more skier traffic compared to the glades.

Their "back country trails" had good cover, but some area's had a bit of crust on top. Almost zero skier traffic on those. After this weeks storm(s), I expect everything to be in good shape. I was there last Sunday, before the 5" that fell Sunday night.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I love Mt. Abram and likely will be there Sunday.

What do you like there? We might get the cheaper Ikon or New England pass next year and fill in the blackout days with smaller places. My back is still screwed up from going over my handlebars there in November from an ice rut.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
It was 50 in Truckee, CA (Lake Tahoe) today, sunny. Sat on a deck in shorts and T-shirt. Skiing at Alpine Meadows was beautiful, Spring skiing - it's February though. I wish we had come another year or time.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It was 50 in Truckee, CA (Lake Tahoe) today, sunny. Sat on a deck in shorts and T-shirt. Skiing at Alpine Meadows was beautiful, Spring skiing - it's February though. I wish we had come another year or time.

It's California. What is California famous for?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What do you like there? We might get the cheaper Ikon or New England pass next year and fill in the blackout days with smaller places. My back is still screwed up from going over my handlebars there in November from an ice rut.

• Old school mom and pop vibe
  • Under the radar for crowds
  • They don't over-groom (looking at you, SR)
  • Very affordable
  • 4 seriously fun top to bottom ungroomed trails (Fractures Fairy Tales, Fearless Leader, Rocky's Run, T-bar Line)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor