• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We had the hot tub cleared off last night and used it.
This much in Reno since 10:00 PM last night.
IMG_2897.jpeg

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Scattered clouds and no wind in Palo Alto now. Looks like a break in the storm? Hopefully they can get roads open and something spinning on the hills.

Caltrans needs to hire the crews from their "Highway Through Hell" show to keep I80 open. That's a pretty important road to close every time it snows.

My son who is there said yesterday was one of the best days ever at Squaw. He was impressed at how hard Squaw worked to open runs. He's pretty upset about today's full closure as he's seen it open after bigger storms and the weather is pretty mild now. Might be a staffing issue due to too many road closures.

Pray for competence in dealing with the snow.

Eric

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
lol i saw that. the northstar snow safety guy and parking and roads guy and food and bev guy, probably all collectively saw the twitter and got on the radio and said "you got to be kidding me.

unless you are slopeside, 267 is closed anyway so you cant get there

hv says 10am to start spinning something

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Check BA's report this morning. More snow than was even forecast, opensnow dot com:

BA-21019.jpg

Yeah not a misprint, 43 inches of new snow at Heavenly! Snow continuing through this morning, but just showers this pm so resorts will have time for to dig out this morning queuing up a sunny Monday as the day. Currently I80 US50 SR88 all closed so even though some resorts may open this pm some, I doubt many will be skiing except those local near resorts. With yet another big storm moving in Tuesday pm, it is not going to worth driving the 220 miles to SLT for just a bit more than one day so instead likely try and ski just Monday at Dodge Ridge again that is just a 165 mile drive with much less on snowy roads. In fact SR108 is just R2 currently despite adding another 31 inches during this storm so far. They expect to run just lowest 3 blue green lifts today so tomorrow will have lots of fresh even if Chair 8 remains closed. Any advanced powder skiers interested in linking up at the resort, pm me.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Check BA's report this morning. More snow than was even forecast, opensnow dot com:

View attachment 65359

Yeah not a misprint, 43 inches of new snow at Heavenly! Snow continuing through this morning, but just showers this pm so resorts will have time for to dig out this morning queuing up a sunny Monday as the day. Currently I80 US50 SR88 all closed so even though some resorts may open this pm some, I doubt many will be skiing except those local near resorts. With yet another big storm moving in Tuesday pm, it is not going to worth driving the 220 miles to SLT for just a bit more than one day so instead likely try and ski just Monday at Dodge Ridge again that is just a 165 mile drive with much less on snowy roads. In fact SR108 is just R2 currently despite adding another 31 inches during this storm so far. They expect to run just lowest 3 blue green lifts today so tomorrow will have lots of fresh even if Chair 8 remains closed. Any advanced powder skiers interested in linking up at the resort, pm me.
Thought about going to Dodge Ridge today, but as of now they are only planing on spinning 3 lifts (if that). Probably go on a hike and take pictures of snow in the Bay Area.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
This last storm is such a great reminder of how good it is to be loca to a ski areal. Especially if you can live close to the action, but a little below the snow line, so you don't have a lot of shoveling to do :D Enjoy, those of you who are! And kudos for those of you who braved the storm from long distances! I had a family function yesterday night that would have killed both days anyway. It will be the first time in a long time that two weeks go by without me clicking on skis. Oh well. Happy for those who can!

Edit: I LOVE seeing all this snow!!!!!!!!

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
267 still closed. 14hours so far.. this is definitely the longest it’s been shut down in the 5 years I’ve lived in this condo. At this point it looks like they are just trying to get the road wide enough for 2 lanes to safely pass. Guessing the road wideners are the next step. 060E982F-84D7-406A-9E33-527EAE5DA670.jpeg

update*** 11:00 now open

Last edited:

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
lol i saw that. the northstar snow safety guy and parking and roads guy and food and bev guy, probably all collectively saw the twitter and got on the radio and said "you got to be kidding me.

LOL - I work for a catering department and I swear our staff is first to riot if there's more than 1" anywhere in the county. I'm pretty sure we got the whole place shut down the other day because the president was waffling about a weather closure at a lunch meting & one of our staff piped up that she sure wasn't driving in just to deliver his gluten free cookies. :roflmao:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks like 80 and 50 are closed but snow fall is reducing/stopping shortly. I am hoping to get to s Tahoe tonight from Sacramento. Any local insight into when the roads are likely to reopen?

CalTrans has been conservative with road closures this season. I’d guess the interstate will open first, then 50, probably in the afternoon.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
We are sitting in our car - parked with lots of other cars - just outside the 80 on-ramp in Truckee (near you @Pequenita - on Richards). Cars are lined up to get on the road and Caltrans is just waiting on the ok to open it up.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We are sitting in our car - parked with lots of other cars - just outside the 80 on-ramp in Truckee (near you @Pequenita - on Richards). Cars are lined up to get on the road and Caltrans is just waiting on the ok to open it up.

You should come over here and hang out until the road opens. I’m just working and we’re below the Donner Lake Rd exit. My housemate just got back from a valiant attempt to get to sugarbowl.

Sponsor

Staff online