• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Judging by the number of people reporting that they are calling in sick, tomorrow will be another royal clusterf&ck at Squaw...
And Alpine and Rose and everywhere else that didn't open or spin all their lifts. :eek:

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Squaw totally blew it today. My tenant who works at the resort said there were lots of really pissed off people. Icon might have lost some renewals with this. Squaw lost a lot of money. Wildflour was the only thing open and at least they cleaned up. It was obvious that the conditions would have been fine for a late opening. The lines at Northstar illustrated the demand for open lifts. And Caltrans was worse than Squaw - keeping a clean road in clear conditions, closed!

My drive up was easy. The tough part was seeing the signs on I80 saying it was closed. Two hours after the tweet that said it was open.

Don't come to Squaw tomorrow - they won't open. It snowed two inches.

Pardon the unhappy rant. It is the worst management of the resort and roads I've ever seen here. I hope this isn't the new reality of retarded corporate management. Silver lining, I get all the fresh snow tomorrow - lucky timing.

Eric

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Likely I'll call in sick, oops retired, tomorrow and hit Alpine (maybe Squaw) .
Say the Cluster F ain't so.

I-80 reports made no sense today. 80 opened EB at 2pm but not WB for another 5 hours due to "Whiteouts"
So one side of road was stormy and other side of the SAME road was clear and sunny ? wtf

btw, got email the Auld Dubliner was open for food & drink !

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Squaw totally blew it today. My tenant who works at the resort said there were lots of really pissed off people. Icon might have lost some renewals with this. Squaw lost a lot of money. Wildflour was the only thing open and at least they cleaned up. It was obvious that the conditions would have been fine for a late opening. The lines at Northstar illustrated the demand for open lifts. And Caltrans was worse than Squaw - keeping a clean road in clear conditions, closed!

My drive up was easy. The tough part was seeing the signs on I80 saying it was closed. Two hours after the tweet that said it was open.

Pardon the unhappy rant. It is the worst management of the resort and roads I've ever seen here. I hope this isn't the new reality of retarded corporate management. Silver lining, I get all the fresh snow tomorrow - lucky timing.

Eric
Wow....:nono::nono::nono:

They got 48" of light snow in 24 hours, on top of 80 ir so inches they got the prior week... They need time and not to have to work around skiers to make the place safe to ski. Did they lose money? Maybe, they had to balance the ledger sheets to what the cost would be if something went wrong, I would hardly call that "retarded".

This was Shirley...
51968820_10157087907894044_2351236733313482752_o.jpg

Granite:
51677749_10157087908099044_5849769234090950656_o.jpg

The village:
51535082_10157087909609044_6598700763306786816_o.jpg

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Likely I'll call in sick, oops retired, tomorrow and hit Alpine (maybe Squaw) .
Say the Cluster F ain't so.

I-80 reports made no sense today. 80 opened EB at 2pm but not WB for another 5 hours due to "Whiteouts"
So one side of road was stormy and other side of the SAME road was clear and sunny ? wtf

btw, got email the Auld Dubliner was open for food & drink !

"white out conditions" is code for a wide range of things e.g. snow removal, avalanche control, accident clearance, etc.
88 is still showing closed due to "whiteout conditions" :doh:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is it the worst? They announced right at 730 and did exactly what they said, so you could do something with your day without uncertainty.
Worse management would be saying they would open, with the parking lot unplowed and ppl parking whereever they wanted, then 10min before opening saying jk not open yet, go keep waiting in your kt line for 2more hours. Or saying closed then jk we are sneak opening at 2pm.
Back 10 pages of posts ago before the storm accelerated, plan A always was to be in town before saturday, sunday likely to he burnt, and monday to be the day.
If they lose these passholders I say great, could do without some of the high maintainence aggro folks that just make squaw so horrible.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This was the first run of the day today! After this we started hiking over to Solitude Canyon. You can tell I was stoked by the end of it :D

That looks like fun!

Eric
I was able to make it to the shop from Reno, but only because I had an employee ID.
There were other employees at the shop who didn't make it to work because they were either digging out of their driveway or couldn't get through traffic.
From my understanding, the issues with Squaw and Alpine had more to do with not being able to dig out the facilities (chair lifts etc) and avalanche control. Besides that, after the inbounds avalanche that they had last year that involved customers, the risk management is hyper sensitive.
Having been a risk management officer for a motorcycle club as well as a major construction business, I'm a little sensitive to this kind of thing.

@John Webb
Part of the reason I-80 was closed was because snow removal crews were trying to get it cleared.
Part of the reason was because when they did open it, some jack nugget crashed and caused a second closure. That may have been the whiteout incident.
They were allowing traffic to go from Truckee to Reno and vice versa, but not allowing traffic to go over Donner Pass.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is it the worst? They announced right at 730 and did exactly what they said, so you could do something with your day without uncertainty.
Worse management would be saying they would open, with the parking lot unplowed and ppl parking whereever they wanted, then 10min before opening saying jk not open yet, go keep waiting in your kt line for 2more hours. Or saying closed then jk we are sneak opening at 2pm.
Back 10 pages of posts ago before the storm accelerated, plan A always was to be in town before saturday, sunday likely to he burnt, and monday to be the day.
If they lose these passholders I say great, could do without some of the high maintainence aggro folks that just make squaw so horrible.
I feel the same way.
And, I had customers coming into the shop shop who were saying, "I have the IKON pass but couldn't ski at Squaw or Alpine today so I went to Northstar and bought a ticket, or Diamond Peak, or...." None of these guests were ticked off. Most of them were just trying to figure if they needed to keep their hotel for another night due to I-80 issues.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Yup. Everybody is going to be there today.

@Philpug nobody questions the need to dig out upper mtn. The lower mountain is a different story. A logical thing would have been to.open Snow King terrain on a delayed start and keep work g the upper mtn and KT. But I'm guessing that they just didn't have enough bodies for that. Just a tough day for them yesterday. I get it but it's still bad PR.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yup. Everybody is going to be there today.

@Philpug nobody questions the need to dig out upper mtn. The lower mountain is a different story. A logical thing would have been to.open Snow King terrain on a delayed start and keep work g the upper mtn and KT. But I'm guessing that they just didn't have enough bodies for that. Just a tough day for them yesterday. I get it but it's still bad PR.
Don't you think if they could have opened they would have? PR aside, how many day tickets did they turn away at $179 per? These resorts are not not in a postion to not make money...three negatives there...is that right? well...either way..if the could have opened..I am sure they would have found a way. As you said, much has to do with the lack of man power..I know business in town like Subway didn't open because staff couldn't get in

g3man

Booting up
Skier
Usually they give a detailed update after big storms like this one:

Caltrans PR is busy explaining to everyone how difficult it is to clean up SR88. Carson Spur is still closed as of this moment; wonder if they will get it opened at all until after Wednesday's storm.

Caltrans District 10 Feb 10 update on Carson Pass:

Caltrans District 10 Feb 10 update on Carson Spur:

Sponsor

Staff online