• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Is this because of cars on the road, or are the conditions really bad?

Oh, it's bad. We're in Tahoe Donner. It seems only Northwoods is plowed on this side, and the snow is really coming down. We left our place (on Copenhagen) around 6pm to go to The Lodge for dinner. There was about 6-8 inches on the roads - unplowed. Upon leaving dinner - over a foot. And we were the only tire tracks on some of the roads. It's coming down quickly and the wind is contributing by blowing the snow off the trees. I got some vertigo on Mountain Run today - and almost got it again while driving.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I left Blue Zone last night around 8 and got home in Reno just before 9. That's not terribly bad considering the amount of snow we got in a short period of time. I'm thinking my commute to BZ this morning is going to be a little trickier.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like 80 and 50 are closed but snow fall is reducing/stopping shortly. I am hoping to get to s Tahoe tonight from Sacramento. Any local insight into when the roads are likely to reopen?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt. Rose is closed today (Sunday 2/10). It'll be a mad rush tomorrow.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Roads are closing. Might be regular overnight storm closures?
Currently closed are: 20,49,80,88,89 (Emerald bay),267,395(mono)

Rt 50 appears open.
I went to get my friends at Boreal. I left early and it was a good call. @3:45 80 WB was closed and blocked by Caltrans at Donner Lake. After talking nicely to him, he let me on. Honestly? I am not so sure he should have. Most difficult drive I've ever made. Road was definitely snowy, drifted, and rutted. But that I can handle. Visibility was so limited that at times all I could do is roll 5-10mph while looking right and staying close to plowed berm. Came across a stranded car (no awd, no chains). They said CHP was on the way. I refrained from "WTF were you thinking?". Came across a jack knifed semi (had chains on). Driver was already gone. Somehow found the Boreal exit. Whole trip took 45 minutes. Then we had to wait 45 minutes while they cleared a spinout from the entrance to EB 80. Drive back was easy. By then the wind had subsided considerably. Probably helped that EB lanes are lower than WB on the summit too. My passengers were all like "this is awful" and I was just laughing at them. That storm came in earlier and stronger than BA forecast, that's for damn sure. First time I've ever wondered if I bit off more than I could chew.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
@skibob judging from what I saw today at N*, volunteering tomorrow was a bad call. I hate Northstar, but the powder skiing today was pretty epic for a storm day. I can't imagine how fun it would be with a extra foot and a half on top...
Noticing my predicament, my wife has offered to help out. I have a good wife :).

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Ahhhhhhh, S**T. Northstar will be swamped again. They look to be opening if you can get there.
Not sure it will even be worth the effort to get over to N* first thing this morning. Probably going to take a while to dig out the lifts and throw bombs. With this much snow only the steepest stuff is really going to be skiable. It’s going to be a lot of people getting stuck in the POW all over the place..

Think I’m going to wait it out for a bit..

Update:: Shit 267 is still closed anyway! Going to take a really long time to open if none of the employees from Kings beach can get there

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online