• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
For someone who's never done any cross country skiing but at least intermediate+ Alpine skiing, how easy is it to just get on the gear and hit these XC trails?

That looks awesome! I haven't tried skate skiing, but did classic a couple times. IIRC it was pretty intuitive; basically the same motions as skating down a cat trail. The only weird thing was that getting down downhill sections was super disconcerting? I definitely remember hitting a section that was maybe a steep green on downhill skis, and totally quaking in my boots because I could barely wrangle a parallel turn on those huge noodles. I don't think it was actually that bad, I think I was just freaked out when I put some edge pressure in & got a totally different response than usual, hahaha. Zero problems on the uphill + on the flats though!

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
0951BA08-B41E-4CA1-83D3-95ABDBB1257D.jpeg Midday sugar bowl report. 24” new
Insanely deep insanely heavy.
Go steep & deep or you’ll get stuck.
Disney open to top, may open Lincoln.
The measuring boot and tables at Judah are buried

I’ve never seen so much snow along the road (above cars) and on trails. Another 2 ft likely tonight
Starting near r*** line then snow line drops to below lake level for much of the storm.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
E8C8D075-5A32-429C-9BA0-16BA03ABE2F5.jpeg 99FCF53B-8CA0-4E22-9E24-53850D2BA78F.jpeg 1F704D87-BDC0-41F2-ABD4-7C3574F2169D.jpeg Snow was great at Alpine yesterday. Coming down all day, light and fluffy. I skied with @Leigh and sort of with @Near Nyquist a bit.

I had planned to ski again today, but decided to head back down the hill early after reading the blizzard warning. There were chain controls this morning, and the road was definitely not clear over the summit. From what I hear, the driving conditions are much worse now. I couldn’t afford to get stranded for possibly two nights.

I heard from Leigh that the snow today was much heavier. This happened a few weeks ago: two storm days, the first was light and fluffy snow and the second day it was warmer and heavier.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Just left S.B. got on 80 (open where I got on but had been closed at Donner & at Nevada line). I saw no vehicles of any kind in either direction till near Kingvale. Only 3 all way down till almost Nevada City. Snow line is at Cisco Grove (5000 ft)

80 may have reopened. Both upper lifts were open at Sugarbowl in afternoon. I think 80 is likely to close overnight as the snow picked up at 4pm.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
8pm now here in the South Bay where I live here in Campbell. Peak of storm could be strongest this 2019 winter, NWS radar is all yellow and red, with heavy rain and strong gusty wind shaking all the big trees along our street. When this reaches Tahoe...

storm-11618-20.jpg

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Just left S.B. got on 80 (open where I got on but had been closed at Donner & at Nevada line). I saw no vehicles of any kind in either direction till near Kingvale. Only 3 all way down till almost Nevada City. Snow line is at Cisco Grove (5000 ft)

80 may have reopened. Both upper lifts were open at Sugarbowl in afternoon. I think 80 is likely to close overnight as the snow picked up at 4pm.

How was the later snow? Any lighter? This is my fear with SB. It gets lots of snow but the lower altitude makes for more sierra cement and more ice than other place in Tahoe. I say fear ... because I am heading there Friday :)

SSSdave

Skier
Mendieta, the back side of the storm has lowering snow levels putting the cold dry fluffy snow on top. The wunderground graph for a bit west nearby Serene Lakes at 6993 feet. Note the red line.

SereneLks-11619.jpg

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My lights have flickered every now and then. How about yours? And I'm really hoping a branch doesn't fall on my car.....
I wouldn't be surprised if power went out. There were some power outages here earlier this week in the much milder storm. Luckily I don'y have any big trees near my car. My neighbor took down her big, hazardous silk oak recently too. My backyard is a pond right now, though. Lots of precipitation.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Agree with @SSSdave.

For a big storm series like this, only thing that matters is the last day and especially the last 12hours or so.

The intermittent rain may actualy work in our favor to lock down the drier snow where it stayed instead of blowing off, and heavy and wet enough to through to get rid of a dry layer that came on storm day1 . If there is a weak layer and it slides, ALL the storm snow is slide outs and the whole run is ruined and unskiable rubble.
We got a very good and desireable forecast with the current graph 2feet of cement comes down, and just the last day of the storm is colder. Although Sat and beyond's higher temp means we don't get to savor the good conditions for an extended period; it should mean our resorts 100% open also means good coverage and no more dirt and small rocks poking out, moguls rounded and more normal looking, and our cement and base is good and strong for rest of season.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
It's pouring and windy here in the Sacramento Valley. I'm thankful to be in my warm cozy house.
No longer warm and cozy at our house.
Power just went out
PG&E says no available crews. “It may be a long time”

Verizon cell tower still up strangely.
Update: Power back 12 hrs later.

Last edited:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Rose’s cameras show much coming down sideways but I fear it is really heavy. Debating on if I even want to head up with much to do here.

SSSdave

Skier
Obvious at 6am this Thursday morning the storm #3 will be an under snow producer. Late yesterday evening was wondering how the models were going to deliver as much snow as they kept forecasting. But then they are the ones with the models and to do so the fetch would need to train up from a southwest orientation with a sort of static low spinning that in. At least storms #1 and #2 were over producers as modest storms. No this won't go down as our dump of the winter and expect will see a larger storm this winter especially some with lower snow levels.

The long moisture fetch in the Pacific was increasingly buckling up with a dry slot to the north and the low not sticking around sweeping northeast off the coast. By time the intense rain precip on my above post reached the Sierra foothills, it seemed to stretch apart. Reno NWS is still predicting post front accumulations above 7k of 11 to 19 colder drier snow inches picking up this pm. Hope so but will believe it when I see it. Also today won't be the impossible windy blizzard day to get some runs in and that could spell more cut up versus untracked Friday.

NS reporting 19 inches overnight however it looks like their snowstake platter was righted about 1pm yesterday with a inch left atop and then another 12" added overnight. KW reporting 9" overnight with just 6" adding on their platter. HV reporting 6" overnight with 3 or 4 on their platter. Over 24 hours that includes part of the snow from storm #2, SB 15" and MM 18". Should be suspicious of some reports and some may revise down early reports after patrols have chance to check their slopes.

Last edited:
TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Obvious at 6am this Thursday morning the storm #3 will be an under snow producer.

According to whom?

Most of us here on this site go to opensnow for our forecasts.

BA has been spot on. Are making your statement based on the local bay area newscasters?

Sponsor

Staff online