• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt. Rose is absolutely packed today. I got up to parking lot 5 and gave up. Steady stream of cars as I head down the hill. I may be spoiled but this doesn't look like fun. Slide side isn't plowed yet so all parking is on Rose side. Screenshot_20190118-090229_Chrome.jpg

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
WU-KW-10day2.jpg

Yikes what a line! Friday Reno sick day. (well sick of work)

Bailed at each point driving up during the current balmy storm series though in hind sight might have done so after storm #2. The series did not follow expected forecasts closely that is more often the case so no surprise there and a reason powder skiers sometimes just needs to gamble. Complicating my situation was a medical issue staying home has been the wiser choice and tomorrow Saturday (MLK) is a pass black out date.

This last storm #4 of the series is set to come in Sunday day hours through wee hours Monday with forecast snow totals increased now to over a foot at KW. Snow levels are a wee bit below freezing again at 7.8k during day hours as the red temp line shows above on this wunderground snippet for Kirkwood Meadows at 7.8k and wind speeds at the base are not too strong so enough lifts are likely to be open while the Backside will likely be closed. With the weekend crowds, the shallow new snow during Sunday will be tracked out quickly. Then during night hours some colder dry snow on top for Monday. So see driving part way up on SR88 during the evening Sunday and overnight road side in the Forester on the sly. Then Monday dawn drive up in likely R2 conditions to the resort and ski the Backside areas at 8.2 to 9.4k elevations that ought be untracked and will have drier powder as always.

Then will stay several sunny balmy days at my new favorite cheap mid week Stateline motel, mostly ski HV and KW bumps, and may even do NS one day since their base is now fine.

Last edited:

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Weather forecast says "R" for Sunday around Tahoe. Anyone got a better guess if it'll be skiable?
Planning on driving up from bayarea early tomorrow and returning on Monday. Would like to ski whole day Sunday.
I'm more or less in the same boat. I was going to drive up leaving the bay area around 4pm today but decided to leave tomorrow , (Sat , morning). I plan to stay for 3 nights and return Tuesday afternoon. I also saw the forecast for Sunday and am now thinking to try to get an afternoon of skiing in tomorrow (Sat) due to the Sunday forecast. I will be skiing with my two young kids at Diamond Peak.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm more or less in the same boat. I was going to drive up leaving the bay area around 4pm today but decided to leave tomorrow , (Sat , morning). I plan to stay for 3 nights and return Tuesday afternoon. I also saw the forecast for Sunday and am now thinking to try to get an afternoon of skiing in tomorrow (Sat) due to the Sunday forecast. I will be skiing with my two young kids at Diamond Peak.

I should have added in my note that I'll likely ski Saturday afternoon and Monday morning (at Rose).

Joshuawjc

Getting on the lift
Skier
Anyone with a Sugar Bowl report, perchance?? I managed to get a flat coming over the summit last night -- figured the least I could do today was reward myself with an afternoon half-day if it's non-nuts.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
I will be skiing with my two young kids at Diamond Peak.
I going to Snowind Sports tomorrow early AM to get my bootis dialed in. Thinking of doing Rose or Diamond Peak after. Are we expecting big crowds at each? I know there are blackout passes at Rose so maybe....

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I will be trying Rose in the morning. I won't be as nuts as it is today but it will still be busy.

sonnyc

Booting up
Skier
Do you think the I80 would be clear or less chance of R2 Monday morning heading to Alpine? How is Alpine's crowd for MLK Monday?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, maybe I jumped ship early today.
Screenshot_20190118-112011_Chrome.jpg

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Sierra cement at Sugar Bowl today. Lots and lots of heavy snow. Flat vis, and towards the end rain/snow mix. I couldn't see anything in a natural snow low angle bowl, hit a big pile. Superman'd and fell on the heavy deep cement. First crash in a year or more. Oh well. Lots of people falling or crashing given the conditions.

On the way here, 1.5 hours delay with the stupid chain controls. The road was perfect. So we parked far, and started late. Seen better ski days. But Mendieta Jr came with me. That's always fun. Pictured below, taking a break in the Bowl by the Racing run.

20190118_094354_HDR.jpg 20190118_112930.jpg

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
So Saturday (if we drive up tonight - still on the fence as we both have colds that aren't going away)....
Squaw or Alpine?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Slide side opens about 10.30 and the line migrated to there so there was no line on Rose side
I almost packed up and headed back but had other things to take care of. Tomorrow, maybe.

Sponsor

Staff online