• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We toyed with going to Northstar, it will be worse there with the lower elevation and more gradual pitches.
Two years ago I was stoked for about 18" of fresh at Northstar. WOOHo...push push push.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There's no snow in the trees outside our cabin at Squaw. The roads are gooey. Looks like it rained last night. Snowy and windy now. Red Dog and the resort run are all that's scheduled now. They are bombing like crazy. The top might not open - but if it does it will be fantastic! If it doesn't, the skiing might suck.

I80 is still closed on Google but open on DOT. The 7 hour round trip to Reno airport to drop off my son (who made it home) could have gotten us a long way towards home.

Eric

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Rose is on wind hold for all the main lifts. Wizard and Galena open. Open powder on the lower green runs=a lot of work to get anywhere. Just not enough pitch to keep moving.
All lifts on hold at Mt. Rose now. Going back to bed.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Rose is on wind hold for all the main lifts. Wizard and Galena open. Open powder on the lower green runs=a lot of work to get anywhere. Just not enough pitch to keep moving.

Gotcha. This week I can't really go up. I just think this is so cool. We totally needed a refresh. I do hope it coold down with the next storm. Time to check BA's updates ...

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Webcams show totally clear roads over the summit and MASSIVE logjam of cars going into checkpoint. I just don't understand why they do this unnecessarily . . .

It's beyond me. Think of the lost business opportunity. A lot of people would go in and spend money in Tahoe if roads were open (assuming safe conditions). I do understand the need to protect the public. But this is different and not needed.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Webcams show totally clear roads over the summit and MASSIVE logjam of cars going into checkpoint. I just don't understand why they do this unnecessarily . . .
My guess is it's a CYA for CA. You know there will be some dumb ass who crashes and sues the state for not letting them know the conditions are not perfect.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's beyond me. Think of the lost business opportunity. A lot of people would go in and spend money in Tahoe if roads were open (assuming safe conditions). I do understand the need to protect the public. But this is different and not needed.
I've never been able to determine the source of the malfunction. Caltransit has vehicles traversing the effected sections (which are relatively short) both directions. They have their own webcams. They can make adjustments on a moment's notice. Sometimes its really necessary, and I appreciate every bit of it at those times. But at other times it just seems like some supervisor is saying "Well, those guys are on the clock for 5 more hours, so might as well give them something to do".

It seems like a case of a desperate need of a small amount of professional management.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
My guess is it's a CYA for CA. You know there will be some dumb ass who crashes and sues the state for not letting them know the conditions are not perfect.
I don't think so. As liability sensitive as things can be, this isn't a case where there is a lot of potential liability (the roads are literally 100% clear and temps above freezing). I really think that is just an example of how bureaucracy can go bad when there isn't enough GAS ("Gives A Shit"). Those guys clocked in. Their job is to run the checkpoint. There is somebody else driving the road, reporting the (good) conditions. But nobody is connecting the two and saying "maybe we should take down the checkpoint and have those guys stand by".

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
The webcams don't show the ice that these idiots spin out on and close the road

That's why the check the cars to make sure they are chained up and to modulate the flow of traffic

They don't want to close the highway because of stupid people which are plentiful in this state

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
The webcams don't show the ice that these idiots spin out on and close the road

That's why the check the cars to make sure they are chained up and to modulate the flow of traffic

They don't want to close the highway because of stupid people which are plentiful in this state
I'm not driving it today, so I can't speak to today's actual conditions. What you are saying is definitely true sometimes. And definitely not true sometimes. We've all seen both circumstances many times I am sure!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Two years ago I was stoked for about 18" of fresh at Northstar. WOOHo...push push push.

One bluebird day 2 seasons ago, I was slopeside at squaw; but left to go to northstar by 11am. Conditions though were last bit of rain on top of over a foot of fresh was warm then overnight freeze. So unskiable, breakable crust over at Squaw, whereas the lower elevation at Northstar left it warm enough so the crust didn't form, or melted off by noon. If final storm comes in warm and ruins it with a crust, northstar may come out better.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've never been able to determine the source of the malfunction. Caltransit has vehicles traversing the effected sections (which are relatively short) both directions. They have their own webcams. They can make adjustments on a moment's notice. Sometimes its really necessary, and I appreciate every bit of it at those times. But at other times it just seems like some supervisor is saying "Well, those guys are on the clock for 5 more hours, so might as well give them something to do".

It seems like a case of a desperate need of a small amount of professional management.
They cannot do it at a moment's notice when moving the checkpoint, and not lifting controls entirely; this is a sequenced event which needs double staffing. You need to get both checkpoints up, before you shut the other one down so it takes over. Once swapped over, you don't need the other checkpoint and you rotate that staff or shuttle the staff over. I don't think they have standby staff at every single checkpoint position the whole time.

I think this requirement for failover is what causes extra time in dynamic movement of the checkpoint position.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
They cannot do it at a moment's notice when moving the checkpoint, and not lifting controls entirely; this is a sequenced event which needs double staffing. You need to get both checkpoints up, before you shut the other one down so it takes over. Once swapped over, you don't need the other checkpoint and you rotate that staff or shuttle the staff over. I don't think they have standby staff at every single checkpoint position the whole time.

I think this requirement for failover is what causes extra time in dynamic movement of the checkpoint position.
Certainly. But sometimes the checkpoint just needs to be removed altogether.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Sooooo heavy at Alpine today. The lift situation was a little wild, too; they started out with Roundhouse open, started spinning Summit like it might open, then shut both down 30 mins later? Didn't see what happened with Lakeview & Scott, but both were open at least briefly around lunch.

Pictured: Florida Man invents........ a new type of kick turn?

IMG_1618.jpeg

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had an interesting 3 days at Tahoe. Skied Alpine all three days. Saturday was very windy and only Hot Wheels and other beginner lifts were spinning. Yesterday the snow was awesome, but visibility and wind were difficult. By the end of the day only Hot Wheels and Sherwood were open. Today was warmer, and the snow that fell overnight was HEAVY. I left before Summit opened (people were lining up in anticipation when I was leaving), so I don't know how conditions were up top. Probably better.

I haven't skied off Hot Wheels that much in long time!

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had an interesting 3 days at Tahoe. Skied Alpine all three days. Saturday was very windy and only Hot Wheels and other beginner lifts were spinning. Yesterday the snow was awesome, but visibility and wind were difficult. By the end of the day only Hot Wheels and Sherwood were open. Today was warmer, and the snow that fell overnight was HEAVY. I left before Summit opened (people were lining up in anticipation when I was leaving), so I don't know how conditions were up top. Probably better.

I haven't skied off Hot Wheels that much in long time!

Is the gully open at least!?

God, now I’m hoping we can even get up there next week. peter and I are not regular drivers, so driving through/on any snow for us will be character building...and we also have to make it up the treacherous hill going up to Tahoe donner. Hopefully there is a clearing some time during our trip....

What do you do when you start sliding? Just be calm and go with the flow until your car stops?

Sponsor

Staff online