• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
This is turning into a trip of hitting all the Tahoe places I've never been before :golfclap:... Having enjoyed Sierra on Tuesday, it was Homewood yesterday. Certainly a smaller place but not wanting to chance conditions at window prices for the bigger options, it turned out fairly good. Early morning groomers were fantastic, and the views, WOW I can see why Homewood remains a locals favorite if for no other reason. Not too crowded at all, either.

Of course, it warmed up to 40+ by mid day and it was either ice/crud in the shade, or mashed potatoes otherwise. Glad we had arrived early and skipped a lunch break, by early afternoon there wasn't much more worth skiing.

Now it's off to Mt. Rose today and likely Heavenly tomorrow just because it's the last day of the trip :Teleb:
Ha! Come back in April if you want to see mashed potatoes. Those were gnocchi!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Things are not looking good in the Sierras. I-80 is closed both ways from Nevada line to Colfax. Lodging in Truckee is full. @Tricia reports people coming into Blue Zone with nowhere else to go. Options appear to be into Kings Beach from N* or Tahoe City from Squalpine. Still have to navigate to get to 50 for getting down the west side. That won't help Boreal, Sugar Bowl, and the other up top. :huh:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We had a great day at Alpine today. It was packed in the morning, and parking was into the overflow lot. But almost all lifts were running, and as happens at Alpine, the crowds spread out. When the storm picked up, those having to head down I 80 left, and lifts started closing. We still had fun on Hot Wheels and Sherwood. The snow was great. I'm staying in Tahoe City, and there are some people here who got stranded. They've also closed the front desk due to "inclement weather."

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Things are not looking good in the Sierras. I-80 is closed both ways from Nevada line to Colfax. Lodging in Truckee is full. @Tricia reports people coming into Blue Zone with nowhere else to go.. :huh:
We're trying to go home over Donner on Monday after 2 weeks to Denver with stops at Steamboat,Winter Park,Copper, Snowbird,and Deer Valley..
A chance late Monday.

In Winnemucca now but we're holding a room in Reno that can cancel as late as 6pm if we don't wait till Tuesday.
too much::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow:
:snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::yahoo:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
O
We're trying to go home over Donner on Monday after 2 weeks to Denver with stops at Steamboat,Winter Park,Copper, Snowbird,and Deer Valley..
A chance late Monday.

In Winnemucca now but we're holding a room in Reno that can cancel as late as 6pm if we don't wait till Tuesday.
too much::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow:
:snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::yahoo:
Do you think 80 will be closed until late tomorrow? It's going to be a mess when it does open. I have to work Tuesday, so really need to get back tomorrow. But I'm loving the snow.
Your trip sounds great, btw.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
O

Do you think 80 will be closed until late tomorrow? It's going to be a mess when it does open. I have to work Tuesday, so really need to get back tomorrow. But I'm loving the snow.
Assuming the snow slows and they can get the vehicles out of the way to plow it should open either late tonight or early tomorrow. At least that's usually what happens.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
O

Just saw on Reno ABC TV news they hope to have 80 reopened Monday AM. We just want to get home now !

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm sure it got dropped somewhere. Still not enough snow in the trees that I'm willing to take @Philpug's skis!
I drove past Rose this evening. There's plenty of snow. Take the good skis there tomorrow! If it opens - the wind was howling.

I am not sure Squaw, Alpine, Rose or even Kirkwood will even be turning tomorrow.

The lower mountain at Squaw is a good bet. Always. But there will be serious crowds because three lifts are called upon to service all the powder demand in Tahoe. That's why powder only lasts one hour at Squaw.

Today was fun. Delayed opening. We have to come up with something new now that KSL (Kant Spin Lifts) has been replaced by Alterra (or ICON). Too late at night to work on acronyms.

6" of nice new powder. We were towards the back of the line at Far East despite being there at 8:30 sharp. Pretty cut up for us so we headed to Red Dog. Wait, the gondola is open! So up top to be the first on Shirley. We get there and it's busy up top. Gold Coast to Shirley is the Ho Chi Minh trail. Maybe we won't find untracked there. But there's a sweet Gold Coast line of untracked that just demands our attention. FUN! Then off to Shirley for a couple of fun soft laps.

The lifties we rode up with threatened us with closing Shirley (it was windy) so we beat most of the crowds down Mountain Run. Spring Bowl (mogul hill) was fun and we were nearly first tracks. Gleaned a few stashes of untracked on the resort run and it was time to get my son to the airport (some people HAVE to work - silly them).

I80 was closed westbound. That meant 89 was gridlocked. Google originally said to go to 80 via Northstar. Until we got to the turnoff then it sent us past Rose. Pretty drive? How would I know, it was whiteout. That's an inefficient way to get to the airport. But we got there. Raging storm on the way home as well. Rose will be buried!

I had to dig out at least a foot at the garage. It should be nice tomorrow,

Since 80 was closed, Friends were stranded. Our cabin is a bit busy tonight. Good party though.

Eric

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I should have stuck with my original plan of skiing from Stagecoach at Heavenly, but didn't want to deal with possibly closed lifts and the 16" reported by Northstar seduced me.

I thought I left early enough to get there before lifts open, but traffic with the worst being left turn into N* and slow drivers on a lot of the 2-lane meant I had to park in remote lot by 1st roundabout.

Windy at top of Zephyr all day and got worse nearly everywhere about noon. Rest of the day had a lot of good and bad, but don't have time or keyboard to add more, maybe later.

Wind gusts to almost 150 at 845 last night at top of Alpine and Squaw. Also strong enough here to sound like it blew all the snow off cabin roof.

Trying again today. I hope to catch friend at Stagecoach at 830 as Heavenly opens 30 min early today for passholders.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Warm in Reno today already. I can hear the snow melting off the roof. Hopefully it stays cold up top.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Warm in Reno today already. I can hear the snow melting off the roof. Hopefully it stays cold up top.
I just used the little snow blower to clear 1 path around the cul de sac sidewalk. HEAVYHEAVYWET!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
And Rose not far behind! Warm here in the Bay as well :(

View attachment 62315
Rose is on wind hold for all the main lifts. Wizard and Galena open. Open powder on the lower green runs=a lot of work to get anywhere. Just not enough pitch to keep moving.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Rose is on wind hold for all the main lifts. Wizard and Galena open. Open powder on the lower green runs=a lot of work to get anywhere. Just not enough pitch to keep moving.
We toyed with going to Northstar, it will be worse there with the lower elevation and more gradual pitches.

Sponsor

Staff online