• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Two spaces or one?

One space or two?

• One space

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Two spaces

Votes: 26 53.1%

• Total voters

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd just like to note that, as far as I can tell, every post in the thread has used just one space between sentences. I wonder if the forum software gets rid of extraneous spaces? I typed this with two spaces between sentences intentionally. But is that how it shows up? If not, what's that tell you?
That our robot overlords are computers.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
i-am-shocked-shocked-that-so-many-people-like-2-spaces.jpg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
knowing that two spaces after a dot is correct

:doh:

I learned to type on a typewriter, too. I'm glad I learned. Extremely useful skill. Doesn't mean I can't adjust .039% of that learning to bring the skill into line with what people have long preferred to see in print, that they simply couldn't produce at home (or in the office) during the typewriter age. Sigh.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have taken to using a sentence on each line for some nitwits at work.
If I write in paragraph form, they get confused and don't seem to understand the message.
Having line by line points seems to simplify it for them and there is less uncertainty.
What do you think? :)
Don't you mean:
  • I have taken to using a sentence on each line for some nitwits at work.
  • If I write in paragraph form, they get confused and don't seem to understand the message.
  • Having line by line points seems to simplify it for them and there is less uncertainty.
  • What do you think?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have taken to using a sentence on each line for some nitwits at work.
If I write in paragraph form, they get confused and don't seem to understand the message.
Having line by line points seems to simplify it for them and there is less uncertainty.
What do you think? :)

Yeah, I guess I'm a curmudgeon, too, for having the crazy expectation that professional people will be up to reading actual paragraphs. Anyway, I'm with you.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah, I guess I'm a curmudgeon, too, for having the crazy expectation that professional people will be up to reading actual paragraphs. Anyway, I'm with you.
Well, there is the DILLIGAF factor...when people out of university these days (or is it high school named university?) use "there" and "they're" interchangeably...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Active membership skews old here ... you can tell by the responses.

True enough. And possessing all the amazing wisdom that comes with age...including how many spaces to use.

Totally. Think of the hogwash we learned in grade 9...and then there's typing. I took it as a throw-in elective..my buddy wanted to..man, glad I listened..

Also, for me anyway, typing class included the bonus of finding myself in a class of 20 that include a whopping TWO boys. That was not horrible, and led to me taking Typing II as another elective!

We need a curmudgeon club.

We do.

You're enrolled.

It's called "pugski". ;)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'd just like to note that, as far as I can tell, every post in the thread has used just one space between sentences. I wonder if the forum software gets rid of extraneous spaces? I typed this with two spaces between sentences intentionally. But is that how it shows up? If not, what's that tell you?

Pretty sure I explained this upthread, but anyway, it's not the forum software - it's fundamental to the way HTML presentation works. White space is white space. You can experiment with this by writing a very simple HTML file with a few sentences. Try putting 1 space; try putting 100. It will look the same.

Sponsor

Staff online