• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Two spaces or one?

One space or two?

• One space

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Two spaces

Votes: 26 53.1%

• Total voters

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So, regardless of what you personally believe to be correct, eventually all of the “two spacers” will age out of the keyboarding world. They will be blissfully relieved of the burden of typing two spaces.
The two spaced typists have passed on! This typist is no more! He has ceased to type! He’s expired and hit “return.” He’s a stiff! Bereft of life, his fingers rest in peace! His metabolic processes are now history! He’s kicked the bucket, he’s shuffled off his mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!He's f*ckin' snuffed it!..... THIS IS AN EX-TYPIST!!

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
That sounds right... since it means I'm not in the club :D

SMH... the young have no respect.

upload_2018-5-13_12-47-18.jpeg

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
The first rule of Curmudgeon Club is you must bitch and whine about Curmudgeon Club...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, I will concede one space after a period. But.... the display software should render a space after a period as wider than those between words.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Ok, I will concede one space after a period. But.... the display software should render a space after a period as wider than those between words.

Kerning, eh? That's font specific, I think ...

SugarCube

Out on the slopes
Skier
When I was in high school only the girls got typing and the boys got woodshop. But I thought it was odd because the boys also had to submit a senior thesis. I got my older sister to type it for me. We had to use "Campbell's Form and Style of Thesis Writing" and I think they said two spaces at the end of a sentence. When in college my girlfriends would helped me out with my typing needs. I had to learn to type on my own as computers came around (also little help from Mavis Beacon typing software) I think the software also used two spaces at the end of the sentence. When at my last teaching assignment part of the job was teaching sixth grade keyboarding and I taught two spaces at the end of the sentence. Getting todays students to type is a challenge because they only want to text with their thumbs:doh:.

Part of my job is hiring people (I work for the government--I could tell you more but then, well, never mind). We still give typing tests and require people to type only 45 wpm (gross, not net). Staggering to see how many people fail: thank you, texting.

And, here's the exact language from the typing test software:

"Be sure to type only one space between words. Although the text you are typing from has one space at the end of each sentence, you may type either one or two spaces at the end of sentences. More than two spaces will be scored as an error."

Finally, after 16 years in textbook publishing, I'm still a two-space curmudgeon.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This topic just came up in another community that I belong. The members are for the most part Engineers, Programmers, and Telecom people with many of them saying one space and their reasoning is base on writing software code. BTW have you ever tried to read something technical written by an Engineer, it is not fun.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

So you want an em space and not an en space eh.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
This topic just came up in another community that I belong. The members are for the most part Engineers, Programmers, and Telecom people with many of them saying one space and their reasoning is base on writing software code. BTW have you ever tried to read something technical written by an Engineer, it is not fun.
That's because most of the folk who wrote the computer algorithms for that writing software code were young illiterate computer geeks who didn't know any better than to use one space after a period.:D

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

That doesn't even make sense to me. I can't think of an instance in any programming language where a period is followed by a space.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
That doesn't even make sense to me. I can't think of an instance in any programming language where a period is followed by a space.
These guys are Bell Labs retirees so the may have a Bell shape head. Not sure what they are referring to but they do have some smarts.

Sponsor