• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Two spaces or one?

One space or two?

• One space

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Two spaces

Votes: 26 53.1%

• Total voters

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Which side of this are you arguing? When you hit the space bar twice, it puts in a period, and a single space. (Just as it should!)
I never argue with my "smart device". The device proves itself to be smarter than me time and time again.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd just like to note that, as far as I can tell, every post in the thread has used just one space between sentences. I wonder if the forum software gets rid of extraneous spaces? I typed this with two spaces between sentences intentionally. But is that how it shows up? If not, what's that tell you?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Let's put this typewriter no longer used excuse to rest. No typewriters in 1776.
dunlap-1600x1600_1024x1024.jpg

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Yeah, agree. You seem to have attracted all of our resident curmudgeons with this thread.

I should change my screen name to Resident Curmudgeon. And yes, I just put in two spaces after the period.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
That's force justified to get a clean line on the right side. Spacing is all over the place on this. Not a good example either way.
Fair enough. Plenty of other ancient hand written documents with two spaces though. Also a few with one space. Seems to be something that some folk have always done correctly (with two spaces :D), and others have done differently.

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Fair enough. Plenty of other ancient hand written documents with two spaces though. Also a few with one space. Seems to be something that some folk have always done correctly (with two spaces :D), and other's have done differently.

Your permission to lecture others on grammar issues has just been rescinded! :roflmao:

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Fair enough. Plenty of other ancient hand written documents with two spaces though. Also a few with one space. Seems to be something that some folk have always done correctly (with two spaces :D), and others have done differently.

Handwriting? Are you talking about the declaration? That was typeset and printed. Handwriting is a free for all, use whatever spacing you want ...

According to this the French have won! Well French spacing anyway: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_sentence_spacing

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm also old enough to have taken typing in junior high school on a manual typewriter. I got pretty fast, and it has served me well to this day. In fact, I maintain that that typing class was the most useful of any of the high school or college classes I took and has given me the most enduring knowledge/skills used daily, bar none. That said, and knowing that two spaces after a dot is correct, I don't do that on computers because it looks just plain odd.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I never actually got beaten by Mrs. Gaydos in junior high typing, but I sure knew to include two spaces after the period. More readable, at least to these old eyes. The single space makes my eyes work harder to recognize the beginnings and ends of sentences.

scott43

Skier
I'm also old enough to have taken typing in junior high school on a manual typewriter. I got pretty fast, and it has served me well to this day. In fact, I maintain that that typing class was the most useful of any of the high school or college classes I took and has given me the most enduring knowledge/skills used daily, bar none. That said, and knowing that two spaces after a dot is correct, I don't do that on computers because it looks just plain odd.
Totally. Think of the hogwash we learned in grade 9...and then there's typing. I took it as a throw-in elective..my buddy wanted to..man, glad I listened..

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have taken to using a sentence on each line for some nitwits at work.
If I write in paragraph form, they get confused and don't seem to understand the message.
Having line by line points seems to simplify it for them and there is less uncertainty.
What do you think? :)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^
That was very clear to me.Sometimes you just have to try something different.Who knows if it will work or not?If you find that it doesn't work,you can always go back to doing it the other way.That's the point of experimenting after all.Maybe people who like two spaces should try one for a while,and perhaps they'll find that it works just fine.Although it does sound like it's a habit for a lot of people.

scott43

Skier
^^^^
That was very clear to me.Sometimes you just have to try something different.Who knows if it will work or not?If you find that it doesn't work,you can always go back to doing it the other way.That's the point of experimenting after all.Maybe people who like two spaces should try one for a while,and perhaps they'll find that it works just fine.Although it does sound like it's a habit for a lot of people.
Yeah, you're talking like we have a choice. We've been WATERBOARDED people!!!! TWO SPACES!!!!!! :eek::D

Sponsor