• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Two spaces or one?

One space or two?

• One space

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Two spaces

Votes: 26 53.1%

• Total voters

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

upload_2018-5-5_22-58-22.jpeg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They changed it from two? F*** them.
:roflmao:
My Apple devices automatically put in a period when I hit the space bar twice.
:micdrop::micdrop:
I'll add another
:micdrop:

That was the argument I used with our favorite editor, but it didn't fly and I'm doing my best to conform.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I also read that as long as the words start and end with the correct letters and all the needed letters are included in each word, the acual order of the letters doesnt matter for readability.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My respect for this group has fallen off a cliff with this thread. Except for you, dbostedo. Reactionary thinking.

Go back fifty years. Consider a well printed page at the time. It looked just like this. One space. Only the crudeness of the typewriter forced us into the two-space thing - a blip.

I live with a professional designer. She spends all day making things easy on the eye for readability and understanding, as well as commercial appeal. She more or less lives and breathes typefaces and kerning and yadda yadda. She's just rolls her eyes when this comes up.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty sure it's just: the avionics ogwink

Two spaces on a typewriter, one on computers with scalable fonts. Readability trumps rules :micdrop:

My Apple devices automatically put in a period when I hit the space bar twice.
:micdrop::micdrop:

More importantly, are you allowed to drop mike emoticon your own statement, or only to give the highest respect to what other posters have to say?!

:wag:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
My respect for this group has fallen off a cliff with this thread. Except for you, dbostedo. Reactionary thinking.

Go back fifty years. Consider a well printed page at the time. It looked just like this. One space. Only the crudeness of the typewriter forced us into the two-space thing - a blip.

I live with a professional designer. She spends all day making things easy on the eye for readability and understanding, as well as commercial appeal. She more or less lives and breathes typefaces and kerning and yadda yadda. She's just rolls her eyes when this comes up.
50 years? Why stop there..
We need two spaces and a flourish...but I will settle for two spaces. :D
Capture.PNG

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To be honest, I am surprised that 2 spaces is winning in the poll.
I am trying to break the habit of using 2 spaces because I know it was a typewriter thing and I haven't used an actual typewriter in a decade.
But it was drilled into me so diligently and I typed a lot so its a hard habit to break.
Fortunately we have Sbrown to fix it when I fall back on old habits.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Miss Clark's ghost is on her way to lay a metre stick beat down on you. Don't yelp the beatings just last longer that way...

Yep! She is picking up the one with the metal edge too. (Note the neatly doubled space after the period)

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
To be honest, I am surprised that 2 spaces is winning in the poll.
I am trying to break the habit of using 2 spaces because I know it was a typewriter thing and I haven't used an actual typewriter in a decade.
But it was drilled into me so diligently and I typed a lot so its a hard habit to break.
Fortunately we have Sbrown to fix it when I fall back on old habits.

Active membership skews old here ... you can tell by the responses. I was a double spacer until I started working more in printing and design in the late 90s. It's been single space since then. As noted the double space was a function of crappy spacing on typewriters. Computers with properly kerned and spaced type do not need the extra space. And if you are writing something that will be published anywhere, your editor will take it out (find: space space; replace: space) ... so double space loses despite this poll.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I'm curious. How many Pugskiers are still using typewriters? Obviously not to post.
Unfortunately Pugski via Chrome on a Mac doesn't offer a monospace font. (Also, the 2 space yield . space also doesn't work . :huh:)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
More importantly, are you allowed to drop mike emoticon your own statement, or only to give the highest respect to what other posters have to say?!

:wag:
My "smart" device dropped the mic, I had nothing to do with it ;) .

Yeah, agree. You seem to have attracted all of our resident curmudgeons with this thread.
Who you calling a curmudgeon? Where's that "Stay off my lawn" emoji?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I tried single space for a while, decided it was more readable as two spaces. Hence my decision is consistent with the article and I'm sticking with it. Maybe it's because I'm old and that's what I'm used to seeing is the reason it's more readable to me, I don't know, but it is.

Sponsor