• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Two spaces or one?

One space or two?

• One space

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Two spaces

Votes: 26 53.1%

• Total voters

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Doh!

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Wow, six pages. Very amusing for one who has not taken a typing or a keyboarding class. I never knew about this 2 space controversy. (Subtext: I'm here to boost my post count.) or is it ). or is it no parenthesis and, how, do, I, properly, use, commas,? Maybe the in next thread we can diagram sentences. Do they still do that?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
abraham-lincoln-quote-internet-hoax-fake-450x293.jpg

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
No, I think he was referencing the Morans, the famous Irish clan of grammar dialecticians, closely related to the MacKern typesetting innovators.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
When I was in high school only the girls got typing and the boys got woodshop. But I thought it was odd because the boys also had to submit a senior thesis. I got my older sister to type it for me. We had to use "Campbell's Form and Style of Thesis Writing" and I think they said two spaces at the end of a sentence. When in college my girlfriends would helped me out with my typing needs. I had to learn to type on my own as computers came around (also little help from Mavis Beacon typing software) I think the software also used two spaces at the end of the sentence. When at my last teaching assignment part of the job was teaching sixth grade keyboarding and I taught two spaces at the end of the sentence. Getting todays students to type is a challenge because they only want to text with their thumbs:doh:.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
harsh...but true

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I learned to type from the 1947 family typing book. Each of us kids got $5 bucks for completing the course. That was big bucks in 1950 to 1960.

6D06FB44-A358-469A-8C8F-842DCEE42B0E.jpeg

In hour 6 there is this.

C234BE52-573E-4416-BDAD-F4F10587D181.jpeg

Remember two spaces after a period.

That’s how I learned and it has been automatic ever since.

jkj space jkj space

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Why does it make a difference anyhow? If someone gave me a document with one space between some of the sentences and two between others, I wouldn't even notice. If the document were formatted with equal length lines, the space between words on one line may be significantly larger than the space between sentences on another line. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A sentence is a complete thought. It deserves and needs to be separated from the other sentences by two spaces. (period)
Who made up that nonsense? Who in the world is this Philip Pepe idiot, and why the heck did anyone think they should listen to him?

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Who made up that nonsense? Who in the world is this Philip Pepe idiot, and why the heck did anyone think they should listen to him?

The same applies to Strunk & White.

"That's just your opinion, man ..."

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Last edited:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, reading that did it. I quit the curmudgeon club. One space for me from now on.
Best of all, I now know that I can do two spaces on my new smartphone and get a period.
Whoopie!
I'm still in the club, but I don't care what the computer does with it after I type it. I can't see retraining myself to do only one space when I'm on the desktop (as I am now) and if I do two on the tablet or phone and it turns it into a period and a space I think that's great! (And I typed this sentence after the last one, just because I could put two spaces after the exclamation point, too.)

Sponsor

Staff online