• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Two spaces or one?

One space or two?

• One space

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Two spaces

Votes: 26 53.1%

• Total voters

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Pretty sure I explained this upthread, but anyway, it's not the forum software - it's fundamental to the way HTML presentation works. White space is white space. You can experiment with this by writing a very simple HTML file with a few sentences. Try putting 1 space; try putting 100. It will look the same.

Oops - meant to further explain - you don't need a web server for this. You can just "File-> Open file" and navigate to the foo.html file you created.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Pretty sure I explained this upthread, but anyway, it's not the forum software - it's fundamental to the way HTML presentation works. White space is white space. You can experiment with this by writing a very simple HTML file with a few sentences. Try putting 1 space; try putting 100. It will look the same.
I tried to double space post #2 in this thread. When it and the edit failed, the old curmudgeon in me said, " Ahh #&(#/@+ it!"

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Saved by HTML. If I had to look at the ghastly layout of double-spaced sentences, I swear I'd quit the Internet. Nine spaces between each of these sentences, BTW.

@Seldomski, I laughed out loud, but alas, I've never been on a snowboard (is it snowboard or snow board), and I know the correct answer is 1, unless you are using a typewriter.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
greatestman-1.png

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The more important question..when coding..tab or spaces? 3 or 4? THAT...is the question..:huh::popcorn:
OMG.

I believe general agreement is that tabs would be great so that everyone could choose their own tab stop ... but no one can seem to do them consistently, so we have to use spaces.

Also yaml will barf if you don't use two-space indent. So there's that.

Totally on topic because it's spring.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But wait. There's more. All you people talking about double spacing and single spacing: You should remember, from the typewriter days that we now all know you experienced, that these terms refer to spaces between lines, not between sentences - i.e., how many times you hit the carriage return lever (which also rolled the platen to the next line).

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well you can't teach an old dog new tricks. And when i was in school I was always one to do as little as possible, so 2 spaces between each sentence made my essays look longer. That is assuming I even turned one in:)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty sure I explained this upthread, but anyway, it's not the forum software - it's fundamental to the way HTML presentation works.

So did I. It doesn't matter. Facts are so tiresome.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
It's well-known that 87% of people will make up facts to prove their point.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Yes, but as the immortal Homer tells us, "Some people will use facts to prove anything!"

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And now, the (ahem) correct quote:

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true! --Homer Simpson

Sponsor

Staff online