• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Big Sky sounds great. Looking forward to going back (was there for a week in 2010). Only problem with driving to Big Sky is that I have to pass Jackson Hole and Grand Targhee on the way there. :crossfingers:

Nice "problem" to have!

MarkP

Skier
I am assuming by 'Big Sky' you are meaning ski areas near Bozeman which includes Bridger Bowl. From what I remember, at the Big Sky gathering tied to another website they added a couple optional days at Bridger at the beginning. Personally, I think adding a couple optional days at Bridger at the end of this gathering would be ideal as skiing at Bridger then spending the night in Bozeman make catching early morning flights much easier.

And there's Targhee. I will purposely fly into SLC so I can hit Targhee on the way to and from Big Sky.

MarkP

Skier
Having a set rotation is nice... but I suggest continuing the annual vote where the next mountain is an automatic nominee but the floor is opened for others to be named.

James

Out There
Instructor
I don't disagree with the decision. It's just the "end of an era" thing.

I missed the whole process anyway -- I didn't realize it was going to happen so early in the meeting, so I skied till the lifts closed. And all the good beer was gone by the time I got there.:nono:
That's just wrong. I thought that'swhy it was done at lunch at Jackson and dinner time at Snowmass.
I think that all depends on what happens with the agreement between Vail and A-Basin. There was a brief chat on that topic in Utah. Problem now is that many / most won't be on the Vail Resorts pass products. I suspect most will be on the Ikon pass. So if the basin goes to that pass, we are in business. If not, everybody needs to buy tickets.
What's the choice, Mammoth? Mt Hood? I don't see the Vail pass as a deciding issue.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think that all depends on what happens with the agreement between Vail and A-Basin. There was a brief chat on that topic in Utah. Problem now is that many / most won't be on the Vail Resorts pass products. I suspect most will be on the Ikon pass. So if the basin goes to that pass, we are in business. If not, everybody needs to buy tickets.

I don’t understand.
What is this “buy tickets” of which you speak?
You mean, some people buy tickets? Like daily? OMG, that’s so horrible! Somebody should help those poor people! I am shocked, shocked! I tell you, that in this day and age, some one should have to go stand in a line, talk to a person and pay money (gasp....cash!) in order to do anything.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
That's just wrong. I thought that's why it was done at lunch at Jackson and dinner time at Snowmass.

What's the choice, Mammoth? Mt Hood? I don't see the Vail pass as a deciding issue.

I can't speak to what happened at the meeting as I was already out of commission.

So there is no confusion on this, Mother's Day is currently scheduled for A-Basin this Spring as usual.

I think the problem in the future with Mother's Day is going to be a reduction of attendees if the National Gathering is on an Ikon pass and A-Basin is on a Vail Resorts pass. It seemed to have a pretty light following last season. Now keep in mind Abasin may not even be on a VR pass next year as many of us suspect the A-basin agreement with Vail is due to end (we think). I'm not sure many would be willing to buy a VR Pass , Basin pass or pay for tickets for the event after paying for either Ikon pass earlier in the season. So while you may see the Colorado Crew skiing there on a Basin pass and a few stragglers from the metro Denver area and around the country, I think you'd be hard pressed to see a crowd of Pugskiers.

As MDF put it, maybe it's the end of an era. A logical spot to move it to would be Copper. No lift ticket cost on either Ikon Pass, exposure is good and it's up in altitude. Move it up to mid April and you're in business.

Mother's day is Tricia & Phil's event. It always has been. In effect it is a regional / "satellite gathering" as Phil phrased it. It's going to be their decision and I'm sure a difficult one.

Rio

Putting on skis
Skier
And there's Targhee. I will purposely fly into SLC so I can hit Targhee on the way to and from Big Sky.
Jackson & Targhee are overran with gapers and posers. If you're going to drive 400 miles you'd be better off flying into Spokane then hitting Silver Mountain, Lookout Pass, Montana Snowbowl & Discovery. All 4 have good snow and great terrain plus a local vibe you won't find at most ski areas anymore.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't speak to what happened at the meeting as I was already out of commission.

So there is no confusion on this, Mother's Day is currently scheduled for A-Basin this Spring as usual.

I think the problem in the future with Mother's Day is going to be a reduction of attendees if the National Gathering is on an Ikon pass and A-Basin is on a Vail Resorts pass. It seemed to have a pretty light following last season. Now keep in mind Abasin may not even be on a VR pass next year as many of us suspect the A-basin agreement with Vail is due to end (we think). I'm not sure many would be willing to buy a VR Pass , Basin pass or pay for tickets for the event after paying for either Ikon pass earlier in the season. So while you may see the Colorado Crew skiing there on a Basin pass and a few stragglers from the metro Denver area and around the country, I think you'd be hard pressed to see a crowd of Pugskiers.

As MDF put it, maybe it's the end of an era. A logical spot to move it to would be Copper. No lift ticket cost on either Ikon Pass, exposure is good and it's up in altitude. Move it up to mid April and you're in business.

Mother's day is Tricia & Phil's event. It always has been. In effect it is a regional / "satellite gathering" as Phil phrased it. It's going to be their decision and I'm sure a difficult one.

If you are cheap, like I am and my wallet tells me to be, you don't care if ABay is on the VR pass. You can get an Abay Spring pass (which generally pays for the spring trip) with a buy-up option for an Abay Season Pass the next year. If you are a MD regular, you only have to buy a pass every other year (with a Nov-Apr skiing gap every other year.) Hope they continue with that.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is there public transportation from Boseman to Bridger?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Paying for a lift ticket is the least of the expenses, at least for me. Airfare, car rentals and accommodations are likely to be a greater expense for me and I would view a daily lift ticket as a negligible expense, especially since whatever ski passes I would have for most of the season will have been long since paid for and not freshly deducted from my meager budget. Caveat: a daily lift ticket at A-Basin is likely to be far less than a daily lift ticket at Vail on a busy holiday or weekend.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good info to have. Thank you Rio.

We have been to Big Sky twice 2014 & 2018 and love it! The Gathering is a great excuse to go back sooner rather than later. Did not feel the need to rent a car either time. However, both times we did snag a ride down to Bucks T4.

PS. Having 12 days skiing there I can do some limited guiding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online