• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
My first Gathering was in Summit County during the first week of April. As a lover of spring skiing, I always wished that location/timeframe was be duplicated. LGC threads on Epic always were very appealing. I seem to remember the reason for the late season skiing was that UL and others who worked in the skiing business did not have to take time off during peak season, plus housing costs were reduced.

UL Hope you are healing well.

The last Gathering in Big Sky was the last week in March and spilled over into April. I remember calling my Dad to wish him Happy Birthday, April 2, from somewhere on the hill at Bridger Bowl.

Last edited:

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
The last Gathering in Big Sky was the last week in March and spilled over into April. I remember calling my Dad to wish him Happy Birthday, April 2, from somewhere on the hill at Bridger Bowl.

And that was the last time you and I got to make some turns, plus tip some brewskis, together, miss you and the team. A personal pet peeve about early March western trips is that when I return to homebase mountains, the season is pretty much shot, and, it is hard to get excited at a small hill. I always viewed early April skiing in the west as bonus days in God's Big Mountain universe.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Wayyy better skiing in early March....My understanding was it was tentatively scheduled for early March...Similar dates as this year would be my vote:ie: March 2-9, 2019 week. I doubt I'd go if it was late March/April...too big a risk of crappy conditions...

It's more money to fly/hotels etc/more crowds etc during spring break..

My 2 cents...

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
And that was the last time you and I got to make some turns, plus tip some brewskis, together, miss you and the team. A personal pet peeve about early March western trips is that when I return to homebase mountains, the season is pretty much shot, and, it is hard to get excited at a small hill. I always viewed early April skiing in the west as bonus days in God's Big Mountain universe.

In case you missed it there is a mini Gathering happening in less than 2 weeks from now in Banff:

https://www.pugski.com/threads/the-...gathering-thread-april-15ish-21ish-2018.9364/

Lake Louise and Sunshine Village are part of the MCP this year and Ikon Pass along with Norquay in 2019.

And in case you have never been there to view the mountain scenery, no question that Banff and the Canadian Rockies=God's Country.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Has a date been set yet for Big Ski 2019?

Yes it has. The Big Sky Gathering will be scheduled for 2/24/19 - 3/2/19

We did our best to avoid holiday weeks and Spring Break weeks. Turns out there was a major conference (like 600 people) scheduled to be held at the conference center the first full week of March so the week before made all the sense in the world as we didn't want to compete with those numbers on the lodging front.

Please be patient with all other details. I don't suspect there will be a date change but at this point no further info is available. At some point the usual detailed post will explain everything.

Enjoy the rest of the season everybody !

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier

Yes @Living Proof it has been too long. I would prefer a late March early April schedule for all the reasons you stated.

You mean something like Let's Go Colorado 5 the first week of April 2020 at Copper Mtn ?

(no, really 2020- not a misprint)

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Awesome! Now I can watch flight prices.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Yes it has. The Big Sky Gathering will be scheduled for 2/24/19 - 3/2/19

We did our best to avoid holiday weeks and Spring Break weeks. Turns out there was a major conference (like 600 people) scheduled to be held at the conference center the first full week of March so the week before made all the sense in the world as we didn't want to compete with those numbers on the lodging front.

Please be patient with all other details. I don't suspect there will be a date change but at this point no further info is available. At some point the usual detailed post will explain everything.

Enjoy the rest of the season everybody !

IEEE has a conference in Big Sky every year in March.

https://www.aeroconf.org/

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep... that's the one we're avoiding. It starts March 4th 2019. I'll likely be crossing paths with some of my co-workers on the 3rd.
Surely you can convince your boss that you need to be at that conference!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Good thought... but all that would buy me would be sticking around for another week and attending seminars and lectures during most of the ski time. It would cover my airfare for the Gathering though.... hmmm.....

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
^^^
Good thought... but all that would buy me would be sticking around for another week and attending seminars and lectures during most of the ski time. It would cover my airfare for the Gathering though.... hmmm.....

On powder days I would recommend attending the lectures and seminars dressed in ski clothes and then take a few runs at lunch time.:daffy:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^

What a badly planned event! :nono: I've seen some that give people three hours off in the middle of the day and have an evening session. Not this one! I guess you are supposed to skip out surreptitiously and "network" on the lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor