• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Interest was high enough this year to warrant a 2nd Gathering. Different time and place could accommodate those who can't make the preset one, or who prefer a different - or varying - location. That one could also include the annual vote ... and the east ... and non-US locations.

Probably the most important thing is to announce time and place early so people can plan.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With our new IKON pass, a trip to Big Sky is a definite possibility.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Actually, Stowe does get nominated every year by me (although in a non-serious fashion as I don't see a way for New England to ever garner enough votes to host the "real" Gathering).

Jim Kenney did nominate Europe one year, but it lost in a landslide to wherever we went that year.

In defence of Stowe....The Ski & Snowboard Hall of Fame ceremonies were at Stowe last year and it drew one of their biggest crowds ever. There were Euro Gatherings in the past that got minimal attendance...but evein if it is a few people...it is fun.

Interest was high enough this year to warrant a 2nd Gathering. Different time and place could accommodate those who can't make the preset one, or who prefer a different - or varying - location. That one could also include the annual vote ... and the east ... and non-US locations.

Probably the most important thing is to announce time and place early so people can plan.

A few years ago Epic tried two Gatherings, one in Utah and one at Mammoth. Attendence was mediocre at both. I think it was just a small percentage that was able to attend both. I am not saying that it cannot happen again but from we gather (see what I did there) meeting up with everyone is what the majority of the people like. Again, if someone wants to do a smaller Tahoe, Taos, Summit or even Whistler..we will help support and promote it.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And since there were no nominations (other than @KevinF) this seemed to be the logical option for the way to do this. Again, there is always the option of doing other resorts as a satellite Gathering.
I don't disagree with the decision. It's just the "end of an era" thing.

I missed the whole process anyway -- I didn't realize it was going to happen so early in the meeting, so I skied till the lifts closed. And all the good beer was gone by the time I got there.:nono:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I missed the whole process anyway -- I didn't realize it was going to happen so early in the meeting, so I skied till the lifts closed. And all the good beer was gone by the time I got there.:nono:
What...All the PBR was gone????:beercheer:

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Actually, Stowe does get nominated every year by me (although in a non-serious fashion as I don't see a way for New England to ever garner enough votes to host the "real" Gathering).

Jim Kenney did nominate Europe one year, but it lost in a landslide to wherever we went that year.

Shocker!

Here I was thinking after listening to Vail's rational for acquiring Stowe that the addition of Stowe to the Epic pass would bring considerable - or did they say significant - crossover between West and East coast skiers ;)

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Our conference group of 250+ Loves Big Sky. We have it in a similar rotation every 5th year not only for the kick ass skiing but for how well they treat us as a group.
Hoping my house is completed there before the gathering as accommodations are usually hard to come by for March anywhere from the valley up to the hill.
FYI, make your lodging arrangements early.
Some VRBOs in the meadows along with Bucks and the whitewater are some economical options, Slope side, the Huntley and summit can be pricey, but they will wipe your butt and carry your skis to the lift.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Big Sky sounds great. Looking forward to going back (was there for a week in 2010). Only problem with driving to Big Sky is that I have to pass Jackson Hole and Grand Targhee on the way there. :crossfingers:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Our conference group of 250+ Loves Big Sky. We have it in a similar rotation every 5th year not only for the kick ass skiing but for how well they treat us as a group.
Hoping my house is completed there before the gathering as accommodations are usually hard to come by for March anywhere from the valley up to the hill.
FYI, make your lodging arrangements early.
Some VRBOs in the meadows along with Bucks and the whitewater are some economical options, Slope side, the Huntley and summit can be pricey, but they will wipe your butt and carry your skis to the lift.
Do you have a contact in the conference center?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Don't look at it as an 'end of an era'. Look at it as a new twist on the old Gatherings.
[speaking to a guy who's boots are museum worthy]
*See MDF's new avatar.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Big Sky sounds great. Looking forward to going back (was there for a week in 2010). Only problem with driving to Big Sky is that I have to pass Jackson Hole and Grand Targhee on the way there. :crossfingers:
The last time the Gathering was at Big Sky, @FairToMiddlin, @JayT , @Philpug and I hit Jackson Hole on the way for a couple days. That was awesome!

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
The last time the Gathering was at Big Sky, @FairToMiddlin, @JayT , @Philpug and I hit Jackson Hole on the way for a couple days. That was awesome!

I remember seeing you and Phil at the motel just after you arrived, and, hearing the tale of the "on the way drinking games". Feeling no pain would be one description, I got kissed on the lips by Phil, he needed to shave! Ha!

While I do like the Aspen, Jackson Hole and Utah rotation, IMHO, Big Sky is not of the same overall appeal of the other 3. Very glad I went once, other areas tempt me more. Just sayin', as, if you are not at selection time, then, no sense complaining.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I agree...but I think that if it becomes something that people don’t like, it too will change.

I missed the whole process anyway -- I didn't realize it was going to happen so early in the meeting, so I skied till the lifts closed.
You and your bionic knees are unstoppable!

Rio

Putting on skis
Skier
I am assuming by 'Big Sky' you are meaning ski areas near Bozeman which includes Bridger Bowl. From what I remember, at the Big Sky gathering tied to another website they added a couple optional days at Bridger at the beginning. Personally, I think adding a couple optional days at Bridger at the end of this gathering would be ideal as skiing at Bridger then spending the night in Bozeman make catching early morning flights much easier.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am assuming by 'Big Sky' you are meaning ski areas near Bozeman which includes Bridger Bowl. From what I remember, at the Big Sky gathering tied to another website they added a couple optional days at Bridger at the beginning. Personally, I think adding a couple optional days at Bridger at the end of this gathering would be ideal as skiing at Bridger then spending the night in Bozeman make catching early morning flights much easier.
We are open to that for sure...other than the people driving up from the south, Bridger at the end makes the trip a bit longer but Bridger is a must do on the trip at some point.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
People from the south wanting to ski Bridger can always head west on I-90, cut over to Dillon on 55/41 and pick up I-15 south versus poking along US 191 and US 20 behind a semi.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Regarding the timing of the 2019 and future Gatherings...

The New England Gathering (NEG) has traditionally been in mid-to-late-March in order to get reasonable chances at a good combination of weather, snowpack and diminishing crowds. While nothing is certain in terms of New England winters, late March seems to give us reasonable odds.

If the "main" Gathering is going to a fixed timeframe (in Utah we discussed first week of March?), I'd like to see it encroach no later then that in order to prevent it from encroaching on the NEG. The "I'm going to take a week off and then more time the very next week" concept doesn't fly very well in all offices.

There's a large contingent of Northeast based members here... I'd like to see the NEG grow both for members that can't make the "main" gathering and for members who can attend both events.

Status
Not open for further replies.