• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yesterday morning the snow was a refrozen chicken head ball bearing crunchiest. Then the clouds left, the sun softened the snow and it was a good afternoon.
IMG_0457.jpg

Fun little cornice drop at the top between the Bad and the Ugly.
IMG_0470.jpg

Califonia refugee? Does the Cali DMV know where their suburban is? ( The occasional us gov. vehicle shows up now and the too, but that may be national forest "official business").
IMG_0471.jpg

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wet rain snow mix at base to ice crystals to flakes to changes as the day wore on. Pretty soggy daybut the snow was interesting and mostly good! As usual Targhee seemed to acumulate more than reported. and as usual, the visibility was sketchy!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We went up today. What a hoot! The snow quality here is just over the top good. 20+ inches on my 88s and I was fine, except mostly low-angle terrain open made it a struggle just due to lack of steepness. Hoping that Dreamcatcher opens tomorrow.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Quite the slide under the Dreamcatcher chair! I ski that zone frequently when we are there. The snow in October followed by a warmer, dry November is not good for avy danger.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
View attachment 86491
Gee what a suprise- a little foggy at the Ghee. Didn't get off the groomers much- thin cover and minor crust-groomers are thin in quite a few places too. Forecast is for some snow over the weekend but warm maybe rain
IMG_0041.jpg

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
IMG_0049.jpg
IMG_0051.jpg
This was in the Targhee lot today- made me laugh! converted into camper. May be a snow emergency but more a lack of right now. Two pair of skis to Idaho Mt. Sports for base welds!! Small but still sucks. Light snow when I left at three but the web cams arent showing much....

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
IMG_0058.jpg
That's not fog- it's snow. Vis was non existent at the top- Thought I was at Brighton a couple of times-knuckle draggers doing ass drops on the cat track off dreamcatcher- totally oblivious.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
IMG_0060.jpg
IMG_0061.jpg
10 am today. Blackfoot lift opened at 9am for year. Easy creamy skiing . There are a few spots to watch out for yet- some barely covered rocks here and there, but skiing like Targhee! The weather guessers say more snow starting later this week. May break out the new endurances after that.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 86892
View attachment 86893
10 am today. Blackfoot lift opened at 9am for year. Easy creamy skiing . There are a few spots to watch out for yet- some barely covered rocks here and there, but skiing like Targhee! The weather guessers say more snow starting later this week. May break out the new endurances after that.
Ahhh Blackfoot! My favorite playground up there. I'm jealous!

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
In all of skiers right of Blackfoot goodness, have u ever stumbled on the Memorial Tree?....
you betcha- only made one run over in powder cache today- but it was crystal fluff all the way down. Didnt get into the trees too far over to skier's right. Is there anything new? After a few runs in the vicinity of the BF chair, grabbed the soft snow bump skis and stayed in the bumps below Rock garden in the good, bad, and ugly. Hero snow and bumps are just getting shapes.
Ahhh Blackfoot! My favorite playground up there. I'm jealous!
Amy been several years since I have skied Snowbasin- Porky lift was a slow double- but memory says there is some great skiing there. I remember when the lodge was the A frame and not the fancy digs that were built prior to the olympics. Lived just over the Wyo border so just read morning weather and snow reports and went wherever- quite often it was Snowbasin.

Reactions: BC.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
you betcha- only made one run over in powder cache today- but it was crystal fluff all the way down. Didnt get into the trees too far over to skier's right. Is there anything new? After a few runs in the vicinity of the BF chair, grabbed the soft snow bump skis and stayed in the bumps below Rock garden in the good, bad, and ugly. Hero snow and bumps are just getting shapes.

Amy been several years since I have skied Snowbasin- Porky lift was a slow double- but memory says there is some great skiing there. I remember when the lodge was the A frame and not the fancy digs that were built prior to the olympics. Lived just over the Wyo border so just read morning weather and snow reports and went wherever- quite often it was Snowbasin.
It's not the same mountain here anymore. It's all about money money money and less about skier experience. The A Frame is long gone, but the old day lodge is still there--the ski team uses it. I'm surprised it hasn't been condemned. Targhee just has such a great vibe to it, and the Trap Bar has great food at decent prices, and their hot toddies are a must on a cold Targhee day. And the snow quality there is just off the charts.

Reactions: BC.

Tom Holtmann

TomH
Skier

Never made my way over that far to Powder Cache & Lost Run. How much vertical is there and is it worth the loss of vertical and the run out. I imagine it keeps powder the longest and gets the least amount of traffic.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
The runs on that side get shorter the farther north you go. Traffic depends on the day and weather. Cat at the bottom is not too long back to the lift. If you traverse south about 3/4 of the way down you can cut thru the aspens above the cat. If I ski it top to bottom (which gets harder every year). the cat is a welcome breather. Is it worth the loss of vert? Guess that depends on your perspective. Is a banana duct taped to the wall art?

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
Any news on when Sac will open? Heading to the Ghee on Sunday and love all the terrain off that lift.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
It's not the same mountain here anymore. It's all about money money money and less about skier experience. The A Frame is long gone, but the old day lodge is still there--the ski team uses it. I'm surprised it hasn't been condemned. Targhee just has such a great vibe to it, and the Trap Bar has great food at decent prices, and their hot toddies are a must on a cold Targhee day. And the snow quality there is just off the charts.
Thats the way a lot of things go-Yep, seems like the bar is always packed.

Sponsor