Northern Rockies/Alberta Targhee conditions right now?

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by SBrown, Nov 26, 2017.

1. wyowindrunner

wyowindrunner Getting on the lift Skier

Sunshine today. Lots of windpack on the top of the mountain. A little lower down on the head wall there is still some soft stuff Bumps in and between were skiing well. Firming up, are starting to get some good definition. Second bump shot to the south of Chief Joe's bowl has not been cut by boarder traverses and has a good rhythm. S'posed to get snow tonight. Think it will be warm as the weather man says rain snow mix in the snake river plain. Hopefully we get enough to cover up what will be a lot of chicken head death cookies from the chunks being thrown up this afternoon after the sun warmed things up.
    IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0319.jpg

Bad Bob and AmyPJ like this.
  2. wyowindrunner

Another day- another Targhee. This is what skiing should be. And is here. Consistantly. Do we need mega chairs and overpriced gourmet food? If you don't have snow you just have an expensive, inferior mountain Disneyland. Started snowing at 9am and was still coming down when we left at 3pm. A little on the wet side, especially at lift bases. Threatened to turn to rain shortly after noon, but never did. Trees below GB&U were great. Creamy and easy. No death cookies and Powder Cache was sking well.
    IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg

AmyPJ, BC. and Shawn C. like this.
  3. BC.

BC. NEPA ShopRat/Skier Skier

Will be out at end of the month.....SuperBowl weekend.....Go Chargers!

4. wyowindrunner

Burn off all the fog and let the sun thru to the snow-(Neil Young)
    Sun shine and no wind. The usual conservative new snow total report. Gotta love GT for that. (BS reported .7 inches this AM. .7? why bother). Anyhow Targhee was a great place to be today-place was not too crowded for a sunshine day after. Snow was good, untracked stuff still found in the trees by the Chief Joe snow station late in the morning, but more skiers and boarders were hitting it as the day wore on. The crowd seemed a younger today, a little looser, and skiing in groups (flocks, packs, gaggles?). Think tomorrow will be a chore day.
    IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg IMG_0329.jpg

BC. and AmyPJ like this.
  5. wyowindrunner

Back in Wydaho and got to ski the last couple of days. No fresh since last weekend but snow is good. After today the quality may change. Was really warm, snow softened up and the bumps forming on the Headwall and the bump shots below the Good, Bad and Ugly are a hoot. Still semi-soft crests and flanks and the troughs are not iced up yet. The clouds drifted away today, clear warm and sunny. Lot of folks must be on vacation right now, upper and lower lots were full and Dreamcatcher actually had a lift line- two minutes?
    IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg

Shawn C. likes this.

6. wyowindrunner

Fog, snow, fog,wind,snow,fog snow, snow. Pretty much the case today. About five minutes of semi clear skies, and a thought of jumping over to ride dreamcatcher and hit the head wall. Gone before the top of blackfoot was reached. It was snowing in bursts and seemed to be coming harder as the day went on. Not filling in tracks but sure making them less defined. There are some deep stuff in the trees below the Shoshone lift and above the cat back to the base of Shoshone on the way to the bottom of Blackfoot.

Top of the Blackfoot lift:

IMG_0347.jpg

7. wyowindrunner

IMG_0356.jpg

Just wore out-not skiing today (Wednesday). Targhee snow report says 30+ inches last four days. Got skied out quick- had to hunt for freshly mid morning. Teton pass was closed couple times in last couple of days so people headed to JH hit GT. Yesterday started out with a little sun and then the snow came-bursts- seemed like it snowed 2-3 inches in an hour around 1pm was filling in tracks fast. Forcasts are showing another storm cycle for the weekend/early next week.
    IMG_0356.jpg

Bad Bob likes this.
  8. PisteOff

PisteOff Jeff Skier

9. BC.

Say hi to Jordan in the tune shop.....maybe he’ll come out and spin some laps with you. He rips.....Tell him the boys from Lake Wallenpaupack say hi!

Have fun...

10. Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo Right On The Line Skier

11. AmyPJ

AmyPJ Let's go! Pugski Ski Tester

Have a blast! My favorite place!

PisteOff likes this.
  12. wyowindrunner

Sorry no won't be home until Wednesday--Am eaten up with envy!! the snow reports have been killing me. Sometimes I wonder why I keep working....(and a quick look at the bank balance answers that!). Hope it was a good day for you.

13. Fuller

Fuller T shirts & flip flops... Skier

The wife and I will be skiing Grand Targhee March 11 & 12 on our way back to FL. I kinda know my way around the place but it's always fun to try to keep up with the locals. PM if interested, thnx

14. wyowindrunner

Back in the world. Typical Targhee day. Snow. Clouds. Fog. Looks like some strong upslope winds recently. Some leeward side drifts building in the trees in Powder Cache. Saw some kids getting some pretty big air off some of the lower drifts. Didn't see anyone hit the one about 50 feet below the top. That one was the site of some good wrecks when it built early in the season a few years ago. Caught a more than a few people unaware.
    IMG_0428.jpg

15. wyowindrunner

IMG_0449.jpg
    Couple folks were caught unaware and survived the son of death drift today! about 60-80 feet below the powder cache entrance.
    IMG_0445.jpg

10" new overnight- don't think it was forecast. A shame taghee puts a major emphasis on grooming!! ( not really- chief joe bowl was cut pretty wide and there was a 30-40 yard strip north of the blackfoot chair- made it over to sac for a couple the usual groomed stuff over there had pushed up piles and mini bumps). Do folks come here for groomers?

16. BC.

No they don’t.......

17. wyowindrunner

Hence the effort... you are right...got a pair of head v8's early this year...sure won't wear them out, but NO complaints. My idea of skiing nirvana is powder covered bumps

18. BC.

You are a very lucky guy getting to live and ski in your neck of the woods......My Wydaho trips have become my favorite trips.

19. wyowindrunner

No denying it. Have had the good fortune to live anywhere I want the last 10 years or so. ( Nope, not witness protection). Targhee has the most consistant snowfall so....

BC. likes this.
  20. BC.

Every year I’m out there...I look at that school in Alta, WY on the way up to GT....and think how my life could be so much different.....lol