• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BillyGoat

Booting up
Skier
I'm heading out for my first trip to the West venturing from my icy slopes here in he East. I'm going to GT and Jac, but most skiing will be GT. A couple of questions I am hoping folks on this thread will be easily able to provide opinions. I'm going out end of January, mid-week and plan to ski through Superbowl Sunday.

What's the resort traffic like around Superbowl Sunday? I'm hoping empty-ish since I don't mind missing it.

Should I rent or bring my sticks? I have frontside Kastle carvers w/84 waist and a set of Rossi Sin 7's at 98. If you recommend I rent, any suggestions on where and what to look for in types of skis to rent?

Is renting a SUV absolutely necessary? The price difference between a car and SUV is substantial, but I'm hoping the roads are well maintained?

What else do I need to know?

thanks in advance!!

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
JH seemed to have near normal activity on Super Bowl Sunday last year.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm heading out for my first trip to the West venturing from my icy slopes here in he East. I'm going to GT and Jac, but most skiing will be GT. A couple of questions I am hoping folks on this thread will be easily able to provide opinions. I'm going out end of January, mid-week and plan to ski through Superbowl Sunday.

What's the resort traffic like around Superbowl Sunday? I'm hoping empty-ish since I don't mind missing it.

Should I rent or bring my sticks? I have frontside Kastle carvers w/84 waist and a set of Rossi Sin 7's at 98. If you recommend I rent, any suggestions on where and what to look for in types of skis to rent?

Is renting a SUV absolutely necessary? The price difference between a car and SUV is substantial, but I'm hoping the roads are well maintained?

What else do I need to know?

thanks in advance!!

Have been to both a bunch over the past few years. GT/JH is one of my favorite trips. FWIW, I'll be there at the same time. (Thursday-Mon)

-We stay in Driggs to ski GT and visit my buddies son who works there. We will go to JH one day...

-I always bring my skis. (GT does have a good rental shop in lodge). My buddies son has worked in there the past few winters....and he has set up friends with nicer stuff.

-I rent a large SUV (Hertz).....I use points to help defray cost. The roads you will use are def. taken care of in Jackson....only potential issue is Teton Pass...but only if it's dumping. Road up to GT in Driggs could be tricky as well depending on vehicle you have.....it's totally all weather dependent.....

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not to take exception to the many glorified comments but this is a photo representative of the past week, and for that matter, most future weeks during storm cycles.

That could be a tree in the lower left.

126518DC-8BC6-469F-9794-3B8EA2A0CE1C.jpeg

BillyGoat

Booting up
Skier
Have been to both a bunch over the past few years. GT/JH is one of my favorite trips. FWIW, I'll be there at the same time. (Thursday-Mon)

-We stay in Driggs to ski GT and visit my buddies son who works there. We will go to JH one day...

-I always bring my skis. (GT does have a good rental shop in lodge). My buddies son has worked in there the past few winters....and he has set up friends with nicer stuff.

-I rent a large SUV (Hertz).....I use points to help defray cost. The roads you will use are def. taken care of in Jackson....only potential issue is Teton Pass...but only if it's dumping. Road up to GT in Driggs could be tricky as well depending on vehicle you have.....it's totally all weather dependent.....

Thanks BC. I've got my lodging sorted out. Sounds like we're planning the same trip practically, most of the days skiing GT and one day at JH. What type of skis do you take?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not to take exception to the many glorified comments but this is a photo representative of the past week, and for that matter, most future weeks during storm cycles.

That could be a tree in the lower left.

View attachment 59704
Ahh yes, Grand Foggy. We somehow lucked out last year and in 10 days, had for ONE, heavy snow for another, then mixed clouds or bluebird skies the rest of the days.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks BC. I've got my lodging sorted out. Sounds like we're planning the same trip practically, most of the days skiing GT and one day at JH. What type of skis do you take?

I’m kind of an outlier on Pug....I like em phat..and with a 1/3 hand tune, I’ll ski em anywhere....lol..
In past years, I have taken my Shiros with me. Now I have ON3P Wren 108’s and Katanas......I’ll bring whichever I’m in the mood for....they both charge on the EC and will be perfect on my trips.

Gotta have a beer and apre’ at the Trap........great place to hang and enjoy the day.

Last edited:

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier

That could be a tree in the lower left
Yepper, a lot ot the time the top third of the mountain is in a shroud. When it gets like this Sacajawea and Blackfoot are the lifts to ride. head for the trees. Keep an eye on Challanger and if you start to see the top lift towers haul a** to the lift. You might get lucky and not have to come down by braille. Some days the vertigo kicks in bad. And there are days when the fog descends all the way to the cat track at the top of the Shoshone lift. One of those days.... Think you can see maybe four Challanger towers. lift line. JPG.JPG
You can tell most folks went home.

By all means get a 4x4. Its kinda like insurance- you hope you don't need it but it sucks if you do and you don't. Know what I mean? The roads are usually pretty good, but it is winter and it does snow....

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
One day after coming down 95% of the way blind and several vertigo induced falls I ended up somewhere on wandering moose or slims shot. Started to be able to see and the only tracks in the snow after were mine. Started clearing up that after noon and hit it several times.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Got back in Idaho last night. Picked up some skiis at an Idaho Falls shop I had dropped off prior to my two weeks of wage slaving. Anyhow, talking to one of the guys, he said that he and his wife had skied Targee Tuesday. The morning report was a new seven inches. Said it was at least ten where they were skiing. Showed me a pic of his wife in knee deep or better. Light. Fluffy. And few people there. And for the any folks travelling in this area at night, watch out for elk. With the snow and sub zero weather, they are down low. Ran into a bunch in the road on the hill about a mile outside of Swan Valley around midnight.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Road up to GT in Driggs could be tricky as well depending on vehicle you have.....it's totally all weather dependent.....

If you end up with a car, you may want to take the GT shuttle bus from driggs, there are several parking lots in town to chose from, and cost is minimal. I'm glad they had a bus system since I could not get up the access road in my rental Yaris. I don't recommend that vehicle- it was my only choice.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Bluebird days at Targhee the last few.
IMG_0279.jpg
Last Thursday from Blackfoot lift- About 10AM. Place was packed as one can see.
IMG_0292.jpg
Sunday about noon. Overrun with folks. To be fair it did get a little busy in the afternoon.
The fair skis are predicted to end with snow forcast for the coming week.

Reactions: BC.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
IMG_0294.jpg IMG_0293.jpg
IMG_0295.jpg IMG_0296.jpg
Top 2 pics off the Blackfoot lift around 10:30 this morning. Bumps are starting to build between the trees below the Good, Bad, and Ugly. Was snowing with some sun and limited fog at the top. Snow was easy skiing, seemed soft over and around the crud piles from evan on the south facing stuff. Made it over to the Sacajawea side for the first time this season. Firm-hard below the 4-6 " of new powder on the stuff that faces south and west. Should fill in and become less discernible with the snow amounts forecast for tonight.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Started up yesterday morning -Storm in the Snake River plain coincided with the 8 AM traffic-Rexburg hwy was crazy, 2 wrecks within five miles from the house. Traffic was down to to 20-30 mph. Just turned around and went home. Headed up to Kelly Canyon for the 12:30 opener and skied 5-6" of fresh basically by myself and a few others all afternoon. The 9" Thursday morning snow report for Targhee was maybe 2" on the conservative side. Closer to a foot in Powder country. Sure got skied up quick though. Got some bonus sunshine in the afternoon. Targhee seems to be getting a little more sun this year- and fresh snow at night. Hard to beat. The last pic is the groomer below the Blackfoot lift to skier's left.

PCjpg.jpg
IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Busy place today-cool and overcast but good visability. Idaho Falls ski club here. Couple of the bump runs below the face are getting boarder falling leaf/traverse cuts mishaping what was the beginning of some nice ,smaller rythmic bumps.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Back in Wydaho. Finally. Powder day at the Ghee. 4" Kinda wet? fine granular snow. Low vis-gee thats a surprise! Busy day. Forcast is for more tomorrow.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Back in Wydaho. Finally. Powder day at the Ghee. 4" Kinda wet? fine granular snow. Low vis-gee thats a surprise! Busy day. Forcast is for more tomorrow.
Are these big storms coming in from CA to Utah hitting up there?
Heading that way in two weeks. :D

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Are these big storms coming in from CA to Utah hitting up there?
Heading that way in two weeks. :D
Snow report shows another 4 inches. Wind is howling on the snake river plain today. Idaho Hwy 33 had some areas drifting in on the ride home yesterday. No snow forecast for the next 5 days.

Sponsor

Staff online