• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So how are things holding up at the moment? Snow is forecast for tomorrow, but will it be falling on top of coral reef?

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I know Targhee is one of the most promising areas in a lack-luster start to the ski season. Are they one of the resorts with no snowmaking?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Weather shows they've had quite a freeze-thaw cycle this past week. Am contemplating a trip there next weekend myself. This slow start to our season in the Wasatch is making me CRAZY.
Paging @wyowindrunner for a conditions update.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Was up yesterday. The top of the mountain was skiing ok, some wind blown fresh from the day before. Talking to folks saying Friday was a good day, 5-6 " of new during the day. Think the snow report only said 4". Targhee seems to generally understate the amount of snow they receive, or maybe are more accurate than some areas. My perception at least. Didn't get over on the Sacajewea side or the stuff south of Dream Catcher. Stayed mainly on the Headwall and the trees below the Good, Bad, and Ugly- small bumps starting to build but a lot of transverse boarder cuts too-didn't go over to Power cache either. Icy at lower elevations early, but softened up during the day where the sun was working. Skiing pretty good, hit a few scraped spots on the head wall and G,B,U, but was still ok. Weather channel says 100% precipitation for Monday and a high of 35. Plan on going up. Will post. Never have seen a snow maker in operation that I recall.

TS
S

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Was up yesterday. The top of the mountain was skiing ok, some wind blown fresh from the day before. Talking to folks saying Friday was a good day, 5-6 " of new during the day. Think the snow report only said 4". Targhee seems to generally understate the amount of snow they receive, or maybe are more accurate than some areas. My perception at least. Didn't get over on the Sacajewea side or the stuff south of Dream Catcher. Stayed mainly on the Headwall and the trees below the Good, Bad, and Ugly- small bumps starting to build but a lot of transverse boarder cuts too-didn't go over to Power cache either. Icy at lower elevations early, but softened up during the day where the sun was working. Skiing pretty good, hit a few scraped spots on the head wall and G,B,U, but was still ok. Weather channel says 100% precipitation for Monday and a high of 35. Plan on going up. Will post. Never have seen a snow maker in operation that I recall.

Thanks. Thinking about road tripping tomorrow, but don't want to drive that far for a firm base. How much snow do you think is needed to cover up the "only ok" stuff? Will it get worse in the sun today?

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Not a lot, just have to plan your turns where the soft stuff "appears" to be. Sometimes its apparent, sometimes you get a surprise in the flat light. I think that the morning stuff will continue to to be hard and iced up, especially lower where the sun works on it and the chicken heads grow out of the skier cut snow. As it warms up and some skier activity moves the snow, it gets better in the afternoons. With less skier activity during the week days this may become less of a factor. The Weather Channel long term forecast for the days after Monday predict highs of 32f or less and a 90% chance of snow Wednesday. The resort weather prediction is not as optimistic temperature wise and small snow totals. Think we do need snow, but am kinda lazy and spoiled. The scraped off comment was not referring to bare or rocks, although are few are peeking out here and there. Was referring to ice areas. Tuesday when I was there, the sounds from the surface were reminiscent of a 7" DeWalt angle grinder at work. Yesterday, heard virtually none of that.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be following along all week. Might run up there again this weekend. I can't get over the forecast. When even high-elevation Snowbird has to close due to warm temps, you know there's a problem. This SUCKS.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'll be following along all week. Might run up there again this weekend. I can't get over the forecast. When even high-elevation Snowbird has to close due to warm temps, you know there's a problem. This SUCKS.

Supposedly winter starts in about a week so hang in there. After that it should be consistently cold and snowy. It sucks that apparently dry Novembers are the new normal.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Supposedly winter starts in about a week so hang in there. After that it should be consistently cold and snowy. It sucks that apparently dry Novembers are the new normal.
I'm not holding my breath. It's the warmth that is as much an issue as dry. I don't love man-made snow, but at least it allows for a bit of a base to be laid down on the groomers.

**sigh**
Grumpy pants. This has been the longest "shoulder season" between biking and skiing.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
If folks are close-three hours+/-drive, they may want to load the ride tonight-one liftie told me what started as rain day when the lifts started turning turned into one of those "smiling so much it hurts" days by noon or so. A wet, dense, squeaky with moisture not cold, under layer on top of crust was fast giving way to a softer and lighter covering. the fog rolled in around 2pm but the snow started up again shortly after. Stuff was filling in nicely. Boarder scrapes were churning up some of the heavy clotty stuff- the lighter snow was insulating the wetter, denser underlayment. The conditions had deteriorated badly Sunday, according to the lefties I talked to. Sacajawea was not running- cover was really beat up by 50-60 degree weather. Still scraping iced spots under the fresh snow- just enough to let you know it was there. Visibility got typical Targhee as mentioned about 2pm and spent the rest of the day skiing the headwall down to the trees below. Everywhere there was a minimum of 4-5" on top of the crust. Six inches away from where the basket stopped at 5" it would go down a foot or more before hitting crust. This was on the North side of the resort. Only made one run on the Dreamcatcher side- first run of the day at noon about 4" of fresh there and a little more scrappy- a lot more sun exposure. By 3pm the wind was starting to blow some up top and the headwall cat was starting to lip. Couldn't see the snow when skiing the headwall but felt like the snow was starting to drift longitudinally uphill. Very few people there, maybe a quarter of the upper lot had cars. Sure to fill up early tomorrow. By 4pm the parking lot had a good 8" of snow. Sure there is at least the much on the hill. Was still snowing when the lifts quit turning. The CR-V said 26 degrees halfway down the mountain, so the snow should stay good.
pkg.lot.JPG parking lot at noon lift line. JPG.JPG Targhee is known for long lift lines powder cache.JPG pretty tracked up going into powder cache

Last edited:

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Some more pics from Grand Targhee today

P Cache.JPG entering powder cache this is the north end of Targhee.

crowds off dreamcatcher.JPG One always has to fight the crowds on a powder day

off headwall.JPG From the Headwall. Some nice bumps are starting to build in the trees and in the open shots between them. Pretty crowded, huh?

Wonder what I'm doing tomorrow...?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Watching the forecast very closely. I'd have to drive up on Saturday morning, as the better half has to work tuning skis on Friday night. Takes us just about 4 hours to drive there.

HarkinBanks

Booting up
Skier
Smiles all morning today.

This last week got better (although warmer) as the week went on. Sunday was definitely the best skiing/riding conditions - creamy. Off trail was excellent, but you needed to be somewhat aware.

Storms predicted for Wednesday & Sunday. Just light (1”) precip.

HB

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Trying to rally the Snowbasin crew (all instructors) to join us. Might as well, since they won't be working! We can après' ski up there just as well as here! Always enjoy the Trap Bar.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Skied laps on the Blackfoot chair to Powder cache from the time the chairs started rolling until 11AM today. Didn't have to cross a track for the first hour+ if a person didn't want to. Six inches or more of nice creamy snow, and very evident crust underneath. Later in the day the top of the head wall was getting scrapped off and was iced in spots. Nice bumps are starting to form below the G.B&U in the shots between the trees.The ice is notable in the bump "black" line. Didn't ski the Dreamcatcher side at all. Sacajawea was closed today. Supposed to get some snow-as HarkinBanks said above. NOAA is saying an inch tonite in the mountains and another 1-2" before 11AM. Looks a little scant- 20-50% for the rest of the week. The local new's forecast is for a little warming trend in the area for the weekend- into the forties. The Blackfoot lift shut down for about 10-15 minutes around 1:30 or so this afternoon- the high wind alarm went off- no wind. Maybe 12 person line formed during the wait before the lifties would let anyone on. Nobody whining about it though- nice break in the sun

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Totally agree...Have stayed at TVC a couple times...affordable, nice and easy for a short trip.....in Driggs...easy location on the drive up to GT.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
NOAA forcast for Fred's mountain is for 2-4" of new Thursday nite and 1-2" Friday. Keep our fingers crossed. They were not too close to the target yesterday.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online