• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had a great deal of sympathy for Mr. Kim and his wife after viewing the 9News clip in the first post. While I still sympathize with Mrs. Kim, to me, Mr. Kim's tough guy rants in the social media clips in the KDVR piece compromise his position a bit and seem inconsistent with his rather gentlemanly demeanor in the 9News piece.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
thought it might be useful to post the CO skiers' responsibility code as a reminder to us all.

Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
  1. People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
  2. You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
  3. Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
  4. Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
  5. Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
  6. Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.
When I used to clinic new adaptive instructors, I would ask the class to recall all 7 and, like the dwarves, it was rare when the group could come up withal 7.

Note that it isn't always the uphill skier who is at fault. Not that it applies in this case, but just sayin' some people use the first one as a rule of thumb and forget there are 6 more.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
PS: so sorry for your awful experience @Old boot; no wonder this is a passionate issue for you …... How the heck did she manage to ski away in that condition!?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had a great deal of sympathy for Mr. Kim and his wife after viewing the 9News clip in the first post. While I still sympathize with Mrs. Kim, to me, Mr. Kim's tough guy rants in the social media clips in the KDVR piece compromise his position a bit and seem inconsistent with his rather gentlemanly demeanor in the 9News piece.

I thought a little bit the same in reading his comments but putting myself in his situation I know I’d be pretty mad. I wouldn’t be making public threats on social media cuz that’s not my style, but I would likely have some of the same feelings or sentiments.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
^^^ All I really need to know is they took off. I get there may be other factors that led to this collision but there are no factors to excuse the abrupt departure in my world.

Apologies to keep chipping away at this, but again, we don't know the circumstances that led to their actions, so no, that is not all we need to know to pass judgement.

It appears that the Dad was ahead of the kid when the incident happened. Collisions are a frequent event at a ski resort, and it's possible that the kid did not know the extent of what happened. Remember, he was not injured in the collision, so that impact was not significant. The lady presumably suffered all her damage form hitting the tree, which the kid may not have been aware of.

So, the kid rides up to the Dad and this might be the exchange;

Dad "where have you been"
Kid "some lady and I hit each other on the catwalk"
Dad "what happened"
Kid "I joined the catwalk from the trail and she was just stopped in the middle. I couldn't avoid her and she fell into the trees"
Dad "are you OK?"
Kid "I think so"
Then the angry husband rides up;
Husband "your kid just knocked my wife over"
Kid' I'm sorry, I didn't mean it"
Dad "is your wife OK"
Husband " I don't know, I decided to chase your kid down first"
Dad "it sounds like everyone is OK and he said he was sorry."
Husband "well, tell him to be more careful next time"

I know I'm filling in a ton of blanks here, but so are you guys, and my scenario is just a plausible as yours. Remember, at this time, neither the Dad, the Kid nor the Husband knew the extent of her injuries. If they had, maybe they would have stayed, but thinking this was just another case of two skiers bumping into each other, did what we would all do, and went about their day.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Apologies to keep chipping away at this, but again, we don't know the circumstances that led to their actions, so no, that is not all we need to know to pass judgement.

It appears that the Dad was ahead of the kid when the incident happened. Collisions are a frequent event at a ski resort, and it's possible that the kid did not know the extent of what happened. Remember, he was not injured in the collision, so that impact was not significant. The lady presumably suffered all her damage form hitting the tree, which the kid may not have been aware of.

So, the kid rides up to the Dad and this might be the exchange;

Dad "where have you been"
Kid "some lady and I hit each other on the catwalk"
Dad "what happened"
Kid "I joined the catwalk from the trail and she was just stopped in the middle. I couldn't avoid her and she fell into the trees"
Dad "are you OK?"
Kid "I think so"
Then the angry husband rides up;
Husband "your kid just knocked my wife over"
Kid' I'm sorry, I didn't mean it"
Dad "is your wife OK"
Husband " I don't know, I decided to chase your kid down first"
Dad "it sounds like everyone is OK and he said he was sorry."
Husband "well, tell him to be more careful next time"

I know I'm filling in a ton of blanks here, but so are you guys, and my scenario is just a plausible as yours. Remember, at this time, neither the Dad, the Kid nor the Husband knew the extent of her injuries. If they had, maybe they would have stayed, but thinking this was just another case of two skiers bumping into each other, did what we would all do, and went about their day.

Everyone can look at this with their own point of view and I’m not judging why she and the kids collided as that and the encounter afterwards is not crystal clear. Mine view is simply they shouldn’t have left until they were sure she was ok or at least provided their contact info. No more, no less.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems I remember seeing the Skier Responsibility Code posted on lift towers and around resorts/ski areas in the past, but I haven't seen any recently. It's on the back of the trail map at our local area-how many people read that? It certainly couldn't hurt to make it more visible......................

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
Doug said - I have found that 'common' has taken on a new meaning in recent years. It now seems to mean 'what ever is best for me'.
Doug is right! We live in a "me society". However, for those that do care about others first, I do believe they live a happier life.
And for those parents or anybody teaching kids or anyone else to ski, it is important to go over the safety rules before hitting the hill.
I will always appreciate Uncle Louie's safety briefings at the LGC events and later at the Gatherings.
Thanks Greg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Doug said - I have found that 'common' has taken on a new meaning in recent years. It now seems to mean 'what ever is best for me'.
Doug is right! We live in a "me society". However, for those that do care about others first, I do believe they live a happier life.
And for those parents or anybody teaching kids or anyone else to ski, it is important to go over the safety rules before hitting the hill.
I will always appreciate Uncle Louie's safety briefings at the LGC events and later at the Gatherings.
Thanks Greg
Seems to me that @Uncle Louie gave one of those safety briefings about cat tracks at Snowbasin that made a lasting impression.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Collisions are a frequent event at a ski resort,

Let me know where do you normally ski. I'll make sure I don't go there. :nono:

I don't know, but collisions are not a common occurrence to me. A collision is a totally unacceptable event for me.
Even thinking a collision with another skier/object is even remotely acceptable is opening the door to lots of bad stuff. Like a little pregnant

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I do believe it is time for the busy resorts in particular to start addressing this. I am so tired of hearing about collisions and having near-misses with meat missiles from behind that I am considering petitioning my mountain for a safety campaign.

James

Out There
Instructor
I got hit this weekend. Not bad. Somehow this woman's trajectory went through several kids, I heard a noise and then she ran into me. It was near the top of a green trail and fairly flat so not a lot of speed. We were also way to the side, in fact going into the woods. She fell down and slid a bit. Got up and left. Not a word. Somehow I guess it was our fault for being on the trail. All those kids to weave through next to the woods.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There’s no doubt things could be made safer if resort management cared to do so. Unfortunately it appears to be a very low priority, at least at PCMR and, I imagine, other Vail resorts. For example, patrol at PCMR have been told and I quote: “ Your job is to open the resort in the morning and to carry the bodies off the hill. It is not to annoy the guests with lectures.” There is, unfortunately, absolutely zero incentive for resort management to undertake initiatives such as suggested above.
I believe the incentive is as simple as wanting the ski industry to survive, let alone grow.

Take a look at participation in football. It's on a severe decline, and the future of the sport is in jeopardy because of concussions. I played football and don't want my son playing. It doesn't matter what I think anyway, as my wife would never allow it.

Skiing can't survive if moms don't believe their kids are safe participating in the sport. I don't think we are far off from that changing.

It's pretty easy to decide the family vacation will be at the beach or Disneyland and have your kids to focus on soccer, hockey or another sport that is safer than skiing. As soon as moms believe skiing isn't safe, that's exactly what will happen.

Ski areas are great at hiding the rates of serious injuries. That will be increasingly difficult with advancements in technology and social media. They should instead be focused on prevention, as I believe the ski industry is one 60 Minutes story away from taking a major hit.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I think the ski areas (Breck, at least, from first hand knowledge) have plenty of safety signs and warnings about skier safety to make one have to consider the safety of the activity. As @HardDaysNight says:
For example, patrol at PCMR have been told and I quote: “ Your job is to open the resort in the morning and to carry the bodies off the hill. It is not to annoy the guests with lectures.”
The patrol has its hands full just doing those two tasks. I don't find their instructions to demonstrate a lack of concern about safety. That's why there are the yellow jackets. Seriously. It is their job to promote and maintain safety in the areas of the mountain (slow ski zones, learning zones, etc) that the resort chooses to police.

It is (well past) time for people to take responsibility for their actions. I find pushing the burden of teaching responsibility on to the ski areas to be missing the mark. It is the people using the services of the ski areas that primarily are causing the safety problems, not the ski areas. We (the general public) want good grooming, steep terrain, glade skiing, but expect the ski area to sanitize it for us and to guard us from ourselves? We can't have it both ways.

Skiing is and always has been a risk to our health. The ski areas can't be expected to mandate moral and rational behavior. People need to take responsibility for their actions. The repulsive behavior of the father in this incident is what needs to be addressed within our society, not just on the ski slopes.

Less anger, less finger pointing, more getting along and more admission of mistakes is what we need.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, but people WON'T take responsibility for their actions if there aren't repercussions. Just like speeding in a car. At the very least, I'd like to see repercussions for straight-lining, out of control skiing, jumping into runs, etc. in the areas that are marked with giant orange SLOW signs. I suppose one could argue what slow is--slow for me is fast for someone else, etc. but straight lining is straight lining. I can't tell you how many idiots straight line steeper blue runs and fly right past the SLOW signs with no regard for the merge area they blow into, or the beginners, or little kids (or small adults!) that they fly through. I had a kid jump out of the trees right next to me on a green run out area clearly marked with the big orange signs this weekend. I yelled at him, and he threw his hands up in the air.

I agree that if enough of us moms decide for an alternative that is safer, there could be a shift in the culture. I am SO grateful that my daughter is now skiing a ton off-piste, but she still has to ski the run outs and funnel areas, and it frankly worries me to no end.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@AmyPJ , I won't argue that there ought to be consequences for unsafe behavior. At Breck, the yellow jackets at least deal with the bad guys in the slow zones. But we can't expect the ski areas to patrol every run, all the time.

Moms, dads, peers, strangers all need to stand up and say enough is enough. Verbal confrontation isn't comfortable but if it makes a difference with one individual, it is worth it. I appreciate it is easier for me as a 5' 11", 190 # man to confront people than for others.

The societal problem of me-first is affecting our personal recreation but it is also a factor in daily life: crossing the road, driving a car, walking to the bus. We need to impact society, not just reckless skiers.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah the straightlining thing is beyond ridiculous. Seems to be moving East. I encountered one sat. Towards the bottom, maybe 200 yards to the lift a green blue trail that most beginners take, is crowded and has choke points everywhere. It is also return to the lodge. I'm skiing with one student. I usually ski with my head on a swivel. This guy I didn't see at all. Maybe because he was doing 40+ straightlining and he wasn't in the field of view. He whizzed right behind me. I could feel the air. If he hit a lift tower I would of testified he deserved it. If he'd hit someone he absolutely should've been prosecuted.

Once again 30+ male. Honestly I'm so sick of these guys. I really don't care how cool you are buzzing kids on your Enforcers. Go ski somewhere challenging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online