• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Caught a disturbing story on the news tonight: Breckenridge Hit-n-Run Collision.

The really disturbing part is that the kid's father and the kid left the scene. I cannot imagine a parent doing something like this. The news story I saw stated that the kid was about 10 and initially was stopped by the woman's husband (the woman was hit). When the husband went back to his wife, the kid and the dad took off.

Just found a video:

James

Out There
Instructor
It could've been handled pretty easily by staying.

SugarCube

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's terrible.

Yes it is, and sadly I'm not surprised. The last few times we skied Breck, it was pretty scary regarding personal safety. I loved skiing there but until they step up their safety measures on the hill, doubtful we'll go back any time soon. So sad and probably so avoidable too. Wishing her and her fam speedy and full recovery.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
We def' have our share of the straight lining here too. Very scary. the kids lack even the basic ability to make an emergency maneuver and ski in a very unstable position. if they catch an edge, its all over. I am not getting into a pissing match over skier code or Mtn responsibility but something should be done for the safety of others.

I'll wager no one comes forward out of fear of them pressing charges and suing.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Taking off like that with your kid after he mows someone down teaches him a hit and run is ok. Irresponsible parenting in my book. Sensitive subject for me as i was a victim of a hit and run last season. I also am not interested in a debate over skier code but this happens all too often and something has to be done.

Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Stuff like this is the number 1 reason I hear for people quitting skiing. I posted as much in @Philpug 's thread about new products we want to see.

Will she ever want to ski again? Will the family ever ski again?

You are right about that! My neighbors and many of their friends who are older just said enough. They moved over to skate skiing and XC.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I cannot stand parent here locally who drop their kids off at the hill who have no idea how to ski and then watch those kids straight down the hill out of control just hoping they don't hit anyone without any basic skiing skills. Get your kids a lesson or keep them on the bunny hill until they know the basics.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
My wife and I say this a lot, there are no bad kids just bad parents.

What a turd of a human.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Idiots and little kids straight lining are inherent risks of skiing.
Rocks, stumps, bumps, icy patches, lift towers, cat tracks, avalanches, crevasses etc. are inherent risks of skiing. Idiots & out of control skiers should be unacceptable!
It seems that this type of behavior is becoming more the norm instead of the exception :(

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
I find myself looking over my shoulders much more often that I used to - defensive skiing.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We def' have our share of the straight lining here too. Very scary. the kids lack even the basic ability to make an emergency maneuver and ski in a very unstable position. if they catch an edge, its all over. I am not getting into a pissing match over skier code or Mtn responsibility but something should be done for the safety of others.

I'll wager no one comes forward out of fear of them pressing charges and suing.
The ability is probably a smaller aspect beans compared to the Judgement. Just like driving a car proportionally a higher percentage of less than adults will exercise more moments of poor judgement with regards to safety. Additionally, all are exploring the boundaries of themselves and rules so will push against rules and (adult) common sense for safety. Racekids/skiteam kids who have the most skill, often I see still show very bad behavior.

As a corrollary, look at what YoungAdult movie or books that are successful deal with finding identity and independence. Often underlying thematic elements is there is some overarching "system" of adults or rules, and it's up to the young adult hero/heroine to break out of or turn over that adult system of rules and control; and do this without following what adults told you to do.

Beyond kids though, there are a-holes everywhere, there is no stereotypical demographic or group you want to single out (e.g. noobs, snowboarders, florida/texans, tech people / rich people, grumpy locals/skibums, get off my snow old people), the a-hole group is just the a-hole group.

Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Beyond kids though, there are a-holes everywhere, there is no stereotypical demographic or group you want to single out (e.g. noobs, snowboarders, florida/texans, tech people / rich people, grumpy locals/skibums, get off my snow old people), the a-hole group is just the a-hole group.

i respectfully disagree

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Rocks, stumps, bumps, icy patches, lift towers, cat tracks, avalanches, crevasses etc. are inherent risks of skiing. Idiots & out of control skiers should be unacceptable!
It seems that this type of behavior is becoming more the norm instead of the exception :(

I understand what you are saying but I have changed my mentality somewhat about this over the last few seasons to include idiots in the inherent risks just because I have little to no control over them just like the other risks. I used to get mad at every person that cut me off or almost crashed into me. This ruined some ski days. Do you get mad at a stump or rock when you core shot it and almost crash? Nope, it is just a risk of skiing. Point being I try hard not to let idiots ruin my day anymore, treat them like stumps and you end up leaving the mountain a little less angry sometimes.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I understand what you are saying but I have changed my mentality somewhat about this over the last few seasons to include idiots in the inherent risks just because I have little to no control over them just like the other risks. I used to get mad at every person that cut me off or almost crashed into me. This ruined some ski days. Do you get mad at a stump or rock when you core shot it and almost crash? Nope, it is just a risk of skiing. Point being I try hard not to let idiots ruin my day anymore, treat them like stumps and you end up leaving the mountain a little less angry sometimes.[/QUOTE]

I choose to ski terrain with rocks, roots and stumps but I also wont ski that terrain until there's enough base to be reasonably sure those objects are covered. I dont choose to ski in areas where people are not following the rules that we all are supposed to follow. But you are right! I dont let 90% of it bother me though. Like this week when a kid skied over my tails while i was on the side of a run waiting for my family or the teenagers who cut in front of us in line or the teenagers (looked like they were under age anyway) on the side of a run with their ski's stuck in the snow (looking like the signal for injured a skier) who were just sitting down drinking cans of coors in the snow......

Ohh, and lets discuss blue-tooth speakers in backpacks too! :)

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I was discussing this last week with some school chaparones I was taking around. I was telling them everyone complains about teenagers, but in my mind the worst are males in their 40's, maybe 30's. Not 5 minutes after that we were on a very flat narrowish, 3-4 people wide, catwalk and I hear cursing behind me. A 40 something guy cursing out people going too slow on the trail.
I wonder if the epic pass somehow makes them feel entitled to do whatever. If one has a pass at a single mt maybe you feel more responsibility to be more accommodating of others.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
I will expose my naiveness,, years back there was a thing called character and responsibility , and people were more likely to do the "right thing". Sadly the morality code has been compromised

There is little fraternity among skiers apparently.

Sad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online