• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Not really here in the states, enough so that I'd help before checking the law.
My thinking in that tangent is, even if you're trying to do good, you may have second thoughts because of litigation. I can only imagine someone who drills another on a ski slope has good reason to book it.

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
This has me riled up and thinking about my own responsibilities on the mountain. It has to be up to all of us to make sure people like these a$$holes don't get away with things like this. I don't want to get involved in other peoples affairs however I will now follow anyone I see leave an accident if the other person is already being attended to and make sure to point them out to patrol or lift employees along with taking pics. Would love it if they can identify these two from someone else's video and post their stupid faces all over the news.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My roommate and I have an agreement that if either us are hit and the offender leaves, that if the victim can clearly survive, the other will chase down the offender.

I will also call out or chase a person that is behaving like an ass and give them an earful whether they were in a collision, caused another to fall without collision or were simply skiing recklessly.

Just yesterday I watched a tiny kid make one big snowplow turn past his dad, who was shouting at his child to stop. I stopped as he was crossing my path. He continued the turn until he was facing the side of the trail then straightlined into the trees. He missed an 18" trunk by a foot, his skis came off on some deadfall and he flew headfirst a foot away from a 6" tree. He scrambled up without a whimper. His dad was still shouting in exasperation at him.

It was with this thread in mind that I thought 'Dad and son out for a little fun cause a tragedy'

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
(a) No person shall move uphill on any passenger tramway or use any ski slope or trail while such person's ability to do so is impaired by the consumption of alcohol or by the use of any illicit controlled substance or other drug as defined by W.S. 35-7-1002.

(b) No person shall ski in reckless disregard of his safety or the safety of others.

(c) No skier involved in a collision with another person in which an injury results shall leave the vicinity of the collision before giving his name and current address to an employee of the ski area operator or a member of the ski patrol except for the purpose of securing aid for a person injured in the collision, in which event the person leaving the scene of the collision shall give his name and current address as required by this subsection within twenty-four (24) hours after securing aid.

(d) Any person violating this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than twenty (20) days, a fine of not more than two hundred dollars ($200.00), or both.

Wyoming law.

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
This has me riled up and thinking about my own responsibilities on the mountain.

Me as well. I ski like I drive. Meaning I am very active and always situationally aware. When driving, it's impossible for me to be surprised and you will never hear a typical "I got hit while turning by someone who ran a red light" from me. I have saved being rear-ended several times by giving room to the surprised idiot coming up behind me.

Same with skiing. I am constantly checking my surroundings and will quite often pull off to the side when i see 1 person or a group of aggressive skiers/boarders coming up from behind and am always on the lookout for those small merging trails that aggressive skiers/boarders like to blast out from and am especially aware of newer skiers/boarders I happen upon and make sure they are given appropriate room (I will even just stop if I have looked up and spotted aggressive or straight liners that might get in the way of the merging spaces)

Very early on when teaching my wife skiing and driving, I drilled in situational awareness. Ya, a collision may not be her fault but if she is the one injured, being right is little consolation.

BUT, that only goes so far. That doesn't prevent being run in to by out of control or aggressive kids and adults.

We have been out of the way behind security tape only to have an asshole use that as his park jump, landing inches from us. Time and time again people have gone out of their way to use us as a turn point (wasn't there a recent "turn point" thread? :)) while we were wayyyy out of the way on a wide trail.

I guarantee that if I see this happening to someone else I will make it my mission to have the person pointed out to ski patrol/mountain staff.

Wish I knew what the answer was but like everything else I fear that skiing freedoms may start to disappear because some people can be ignorant and careless while refusing to accept responsibility for their actions.

bamaman

Getting off the lift
Skier
There has been discussion about the rules on the slopes, but my question is this: why would kids know them? Most kids are just out with their friends. That's how I started. There are no safe skiing classes or any training required before buying a lift ticket. When I was a kid we owned boats and we had safe boating classes in our area. We actually got a break on insurance when we completed it. How many casual boaters can state which boat has the right of way as they approach each other? Almost none. Same with skiing.

Great point. Maybe it's time that before you can buy a lift ticket or season pass, you have to show a "skiers license" that proves you have passed the test showing you know the skiers/boarders responsibility code. Seriously. And that is exchanged any time you are involved in a collision. Only question is who would govern it?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Rules, cameras, ski license?? Makes me wonder whatever happened to a little common sense and common courtesy to others around you in any environment.

I have found that 'common' has taken on a new meaning in recent years. It now seems to mean 'what ever is best for me'.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
This thread is addressing a serious problem but this might not be the best case to illustrate the principles involved. If his first response was to chase after the boy, it is quite possible that neither he, the boy or the father realized that an injury was involved. Kids are bumping into other kids and people all the time, usually with no injury. The nature of the collision or the speed involved is not clear. Without more details, it is feasible that it was considered resolved, the kid was wrong, apologized, the guy had his say and everyone goes on their way as happens all the time. He then goes back to find it was more serious than he thought. On the other hand the behavior might have been as bad as has been made out.

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
SI850153.JPG

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
Good grief!! How, When, Why? hope the neck stabalization is precautionary!
Was a few years ago now, but I was beat up pretty bad and missed 4 months of work, My skiing took about 3 years before I could fully support my right leg (deep snow turning left was nasty) Having said that maybe this is why my blood boils when someone leaves you for dead as this lady did to me. PS I'm all good now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor