• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
So who here would turn yourself and your kid into the sheriff if this was you right now? Answer honestly. I would have some serious pause knowing a lawsuit and jail time would be coming. We don't have a culture where accidents are tolerated anymore and people can just get away with a life lesson and apologies. When the police and lawyers are always made to get involved with everything that happens it makes people do stuff like this.
I would, but I would have stayed in the first place. Id rather pay for the bills or go to jail than be a coward and run, own up to you decisions.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
35yrs skiing Tahoe, never skied on Sat or Sun and took two weeks off during Christmas vacation. And NO holidays.

In Northern Idaho I ski 7 days a week if I want to and have skied Silver Mt. on the Sat. of presidents weekend, quit at noon and no people problems at all.

Cameras to monitor people on a ski hill. Pretty sad commentary on our sport.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
We seem to have decided that this story is all about a an over terrained kid, straight lining at speed, recklessly causing an accident...........and the product of crappy parenting. However all we know for sure is that there was a collision and the extent of the ladies injuries.

Was the lady stopped in a safe place, was the kid forced off his line by a third party, his speed may have been appropriate and not have been a significant factor, did the kid know the extent of her injuries, did the kid's dad know the extent of her injuries? I would like to know these, and many other similar variables, before passing judgement on the kid and dad. Obviously there was a collision, but perhaps the kid and dad thought it was relatively minor and saw no need to hang around. Obliviously, it's the uphill skier's responsibility to avoid the downhill, but there is often shared responsibility in any accident. Just saying, we don't have the whole story, but seemed to have passed judgement and stereotyped who we presume to be guilty.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry Phil I usually agree with you but as my lawyer would say" there are no accidents only poor decisions that lead to an unwanted outcome"
I hear what you are saying and I respect it but we are talking a 10-ish year old. Again, in this case comes back to the parents and to your point...was a really poor decision to leave the scene.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Just saying, we don't have the whole story, but seemed to have passed judgement and stereotyped who we presume to be guilty.

Exchange of information should occur at any collision. Departing without identifying yourself is a CRIME.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry Phil I usually agree with you but as my lawyer would say" there are no accidents only poor decisions that lead to an unwanted outcome"
A lawyer really says stuff like that? Is he a Personal Injury lawyer that advertises on billboards and TV?

bamaman

Getting off the lift
Skier
A lawyer really says stuff like that? Is he a Personal Injury lawyer that advertises on billboards and TV?
YEP to both questions. That's why they are in business. If accidents were an acceptable part of life with no consequences, lawyers wouldn't be needed. There is usually ALWAYS someone at fault for doing something wrong. Hence, making a poor decision.

Honestly, a beef of mine is the dumbing down of our youth (and adults) and lack of accountability. Look at the cars they make now and all the commercials about all the "driver assistance" you can have. They have people in these driving commercials:

1. Young girl driving with her Dad daydreaming about Star Wars figures and not paying attention. Then the car abruptly stops before she hits a pedestrian and the Dad saying gleefully "It stopped for you". How about paying attention and stopping the damn car yourself.
2. People driving nervously and unsure of themselves. But don't worry, the car has "assistance" that make it easier for unqualified people to drive. Or I should say make it for the "car" to drive itself and take away responsibility from the driver.
3. And one of my favorites (although it has nothing to do with driving). The momma's little boy who relies on Liberty Mutual to come to his rescue to change a flat tire. Notice it isn't a Dad with his son. It's a mom. And the son is basically a wimp. Can't change a tire? Come on.

These are the same people out on the slopes (young and old). They shouldn't be out there if they don't know what they are doing. And if you are qualified to be out there, when something does happen and it's your fault, take responsibility for it.

This generation is training our youth to be airheads with no responsibility. Why should we expect anything different from people on the slopes. :rolleyes:

Okay, stepping down from my soapbox.ogwink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A friend of ours got hit from behind a few weeks ago. She was jsa on a traverse. The person who hit her ended up about 50' down from her. Never checked, put his skis back on and left. She's ok but rattled. The stars will go away (yes, she hit hard enough to sustain a concussion even with a helmet) as will the huge bruise on her calf but the being scared part takes a lot longer.

I don't understand how people can just leave when something like this happens.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
YEP to both questions. That's why they are in business. If accidents were an acceptable part of life with no consequences, lawyers wouldn't be needed. There is usually ALWAYS someone at fault for doing something wrong. Hence, making a poor decision.

Honestly, a beef of mine is the dumbing down of our youth (and adults) and lack of accountability. Look at the cars they make now and all the commercials about all the "driver assistance" you can have. They have people in these driving commercials:

1. Young girl driving with her Dad daydreaming about Star Wars figures and not paying attention. Then the car abruptly stops before she hits a pedestrian and the Dad saying gleefully "It stopped for you". How about paying attention and stopping the damn car yourself.
2. People driving nervously and unsure of themselves. But don't worry, the car has "assistance" that make it easier for unqualified people to drive. Or I should say make it for the "car" to drive itself and take away responsibility from the driver.
3. And one of my favorites (although it has nothing to do with driving). The momma's little boy who relies on Liberty Mutual to come to his rescue to change a flat tire. Notice it isn't a Dad with his son. It's a mom. And the son is basically a wimp. Can't change a tire? Come on.

These are the same people out on the slopes (young and old). They shouldn't be out there if they don't know what they are doing. And if you are qualified to be out there, when something does happen and it's your fault, take responsibility for it.

This generation is training our youth to be airheads with no responsibility. Why should we expect anything different from people on the slopes. :rolleyes:

Okay, stepping down from my soapbox.ogwink
Fair but I think there should be a separate term for lawyers on billboards that doesn't contain the word lawyer. Injury Broker?

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
There has been discussion about the rules on the slopes, but my question is this: why would kids know them? Most kids are just out with their friends. That's how I started. There are no safe skiing classes or any training required before buying a lift ticket. When I was a kid we owned boats and we had safe boating classes in our area. We actually got a break on insurance when we completed it. How many casual boaters can state which boat has the right of way as they approach each other? Almost none. Same with skiing.

Last year I was traversing a blue run to meet some friends and even being really careful still got nailed by a straightlining snowboarder. He started yelling at me for getting in his way and only shut up when two other boarders came over to see if I was OK and made it clear to him that he was at fault. He truly believed I was wrong to get in his way. Why wouldn't he if he was never taught otherwise?

All that said, the parent that skied away from this accident should be ashamed for a number of reasons.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Bit of a tangent, does potential litigation affect your desire to assist people as a good samaritan? Even a bit?

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There has been discussion about the rules on the slopes, but my question is this: why would kids know them? Most kids are just out with their friends. That's how I started. There are no safe skiing classes or any training required before buying a lift ticket. When I was a kid we owned boats and we had safe boating classes in our area. We actually got a break on insurance when we completed it. How many casual boaters can state which boat has the right of way as they approach each other? Almost none. Same with skiing.

Last year I was traversing a blue run to meet some friends and even being really careful still got nailed by a straightlining snowboarder. He started yelling at me for getting in his way and only shut up when two other boarders came over to see if I was OK and made it clear to him that he was at fault. He truly believed I was wrong to get in his way. Why wouldn't he if he was never taught otherwise?

All that said, the parent that skied away from this accident should be ashamed for a number of reasons.

You make my case for banning snowboarders :)

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Bit of a tangent, does potential litigation affect your desire to assist people as a good samaritan? Even a bit?

I'm sure it does for many people, and with good reason. On your tangent: my daughter was involved in a situation as a college freshman where two of her male friends saw an incapacitatedly drunk girl on the restroom floor in a dorm, throwing up while basically passed out. They knew that she needed to be in a position to breathe, but her pants were down and they were scared to death to touch her. They got an RA, and he couldn't touch her, either, due to rules. My daughter happened by and was able to get the girl in a position where she wouldn't choke while they waited for "official" help. Everything turned out ok, I guess; daughter had to stay and answer all sorts of questions and even felt that the paramedics were a little accusatory toward her.

The girl ended up being some underrage high school student, and those boys were really relieved they hadn't gotten involved, except for flagging down others. But that's a shitty way to have to live. (Now, obviously they weren't involved in causing this girl to have the accident, they had never seen her before, but your question was asking about good samaritanship rather than the main gist of the thread.)

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Acts by good samaritans are protected, you can help away without an attorney present.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Exchange of information should occur at any collision. Departing without identifying yourself is a CRIME.

Not sure how realistic or practical your statement is. Are you suggesting that an exchange of information should happen every time two people make contact at a ski resort?

Do you do that, does anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online