• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Hmmm, I just checked that place out for a couple of days after the Gathering, $550/night :eek::nono:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I stayed at the Tyrolean this past week. $80/night no season rate. It's way on the other side of the tracks from the Grand Hyatt but it's now one of my favorite places. Perfectly preserved hey-day Aspen, clean, decent bedding in a guys trip kind of way. Good place if you like Aspen but want to keep things humble.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Hmmm, I just checked that place out for a couple of days after the Gathering, $550/night :eek::nono:

@Jim McDonald Not to necromance - but you should call - we were there right after New Years - was not full, so might be willing to haggle now . Also, that rate does include full-on breakfast, trip to and from ASE and really a shuttle any where you want to go, Highlands / Snowmass etc.

If you do make Cloud Nine - raclette and skip the strudel.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, with an Ikon base pass burning a hole in my pocket, do you folks highly recommend Aspen(area) as a February midweek destination? It could be combined with Copper Mountain (which I have skied a little bit last year, and would love to visit again) to cover the blackouts at Aspen during Presidents’ Day weekend.

We would have a group of 8, are there affordable larger rental condos/houses avaible? Copper, for example doesn’t (probably due to being a resort only town).
Is it a good destination for families, with a focus on intermediate ungrooomed skiing, moguls and powder skiing?
Any good for the frugal (we pack our own lunch, mostly cook or own dinners, etc.)?

The other option would be heading to Utah for the Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons.

Which would you pick?

Last edited:

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, with an Ikon base pass burning a hole in my pocket, do you folks highly recommend Aspen(area) as a February destination? It could be combined with Copper Mountain (which I have skied a little bit last year, and would love to visit again) to cover the blackouts during Presidents’ Day weekend.

We would have a group of 8, are there affordable larger rental condos/houses avaible? Copper, for example doesn’t (probably due to being a resort only town).
Is it a good destination for families, with a focus on intermediate ungrooomed skiing, moguls and powder skiing?
Any good for the frugal (we pack our own lunch, mostly cook or own dinners, etc.)?

The other option would be heading to Utah for the Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons.

Which would you pick?

There are great condos or houses that would sleep 8 in Snowmass. Check out VRBO or AirBnB.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Copper, for example doesn’t (probably due to being a resort only town).

Copper most certainly does have larger rentals available. Several still available for Presidents' Day weekend. Check Air BnB.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Copper most certainly does have larger rentals available. Several still available for Presidents' Day weekend. Check Air BnB.

Sorry, I maybe put it the wrong way. Last year when I looked, at Copper all I could find for 6+ people, 3+ bedrooms, were super expensive (like >$800/night) high end 10 person vacation homes. That’s because most dedicated resort property is more along the lines of 2 bedroom condo’s(which we did end up renting later that week with the 4 of us).

In Winter Park for example, there is an actual town, so there is a much bigger inventory of normal houses, including more in a more modest price (We have rented a 3 bedroom, 2bath, sauna, hot tub, garage house there for about $350/night).

So what I should have said is: Copper has a much smaller chance of finding an affordable place for 8 people.
That being said, since our youngest will be 8 now, we are less bothered by transit, so probably would stay in Frisco, where there are way more options. it really is a quick easy drive/bus from the resort.

Last edited:

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
@Slim, Snowmass is a great place for President's weekend. One of the issues with Copper specifically, the Front Range resorts more generally, and anywhere easily accessible by a large airport most generally (including the SLC resorts) is that they will have more traffic than less accessible places, like Aspen. So, while we will still be busy and that does mean that there will be lift lines, it won't be as busy as other places, notably Copper, the other Front Range resorts, and the SLC resorts.

Snowmass is a great mountain. We have terrain for everyone from the never ever beginner to the most season free ride competitor. It is a very large resort. There's a tremendous amount of housing, meaning that there will be lodging available, although holiday periods, including President's Day weekend, will be expensive. Aspen is not cheap, but it is, IMHO, cheaper than Vail and Breckenridge. That being said, you can find cheaper lodging in SLC because it is a major metropolitan area.

So, come enjoy our slopes. You won't regret it!

Mike

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Slim, Snowmass is a great place for President's weekend. One of the issues with Copper specifically, the Front Range resorts more generally, and anywhere easily accessible by a large airport most generally (including the SLC resorts) is that they will have more traffic than less accessible places, like Aspen. So, while we will still be busy and that does mean that there will be lift lines, it won't be as busy as other places, notably Copper, the other Front Range resorts, and the SLC resorts.
So, come enjoy our slopes. You won't regret it!
Mike

Just to clarify for those unfamiliar with the Ikon passes, the Ikon Base pass gives you 5 days at Aspen-Snowmass, with February 16/17 (Weekend before Presidents Day) blacked out.
So, unfortunately, we would have to spend that (busy)weekend at Copper, before traveling on to Aspen to ski, say, Monday-Friday, then one more day in Coppper on Saturday on the way back to the Denver airport.

Last edited:

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just to clarify for those unfamiliar with the Ikon passes, the Ikon Base pass gives you 5 days at Aspen-Snowmass, with February 16/17 (Weekend before Presidents Day) blacked out.
So, unfortunately, we would have to spend that weekend at Copper, before traveling on to Aspen to ski, say, Monday-Friday, then one more day in Coppper on Saturday on the way back to the Denver airport.
Steamboat?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Steamboat?
Steamboat would also be an option, but it has 5 days max and blackout dates too, exactly the same as Aspen so it would also have to be combined with Copper and/or Winter Park. Last year we did just that: 4 days at Steamboat and 4 in Copper, I have never been to Aspen, and its a shorter drive than Steamboat oo, so it seemed like a fun option.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So, unfortunately, we would have to spend that weekend at Copper, before traveling on to Aspen to ski, say, Monday-Friday, then one more day in Coppper on Saturday on the way back to the Denver airport.

I think that sounds like a good overall plan. I love Aspen (as a mainly intermediate groomer skier), even more than Alta-Bird. Shouldn't be too hard to find an appropriate place to stay I wouldn't think - near Snowmass is your best bet as others have mentioned. And if you stay in Snowmass area and anywhere near a bus stop, the Aspen bus system is great too.

If you're willing to commute to ski, you could stay in Basalt or even Carbondale. Some folks did that during the Gathering a few years ago.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
if you go for off MT a Nice and reasonable hotel is the Element in Basalt has kitchenette rooms, free appetizers, wine and beer every afternoon, indoor pool, outdoor hot tub. rate includes breakfast every day. walk to excelllent mexican restaurant, burger place and a whole foods is on other side of parking lot. We got a deal buy 2nights get one free via Am Ex it was about 20min to Snowmass, leave early if you get stuck in morning rush can be 40min. (road was being worked on perhaps it's better) we used the underground garage $30/day (5 of us) or parked at Two Creeks (was free w/4+in a car) the bus does pick up in front of element.

I love Snowmass for monster groomers and tons of variety. Long Shot is a blast. One year we Stayed in a monster Log home in Carbondale It was awesome 5BR home found on VRBO- up on Panoramic drive- split up 5ways was 75/nt. needed all wheel 4 wheel to get up to the house. Carbondale is a cool town. several excellent restaurants too.

here's the element:
https://www.reservationdesk.com/hot...ates=1&loyalty_v1=1&winninglogic=3&trk=cugava

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
We commuted from Glenwood Springs a few years ago, no big deal and excellent restaurants in the town.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Basalt, Colorado IMO is one of the true gems of the American ski scene...I rank it up there with Telluride, Ketchum, and Steamboat Springs as great ski towns. I think what I like most about it as that most people have no idea that it even exists.

Someone told me to try it out and that I wouldn't regret it. He was right. Now I'm doing the same and everyone I have taken there has also loved it.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for all the info folks!
Now to choose: Copper+Aspen <-> Cottonwood Canyons, both seem very fun, it will be a tough choice for our family trip.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks for all the info folks!
Now to choose: Colorado <-> Utah, both seem very fun

A couple of years we skied Alta/ Bird then drove over to Aspen..about 5hr drive, we lucked out on weather followed blizzards both times and had clear sailing on the ride across to Aspen then enjoyed glorious skiing at Snowmass/Highlands/AJax.
worse case scenario would be stay in utah 1 more day (ski) then drive over the next day.

Have also Flown into SLC and drove up to SunValley (MCP) great ski area and town, then back to Alta/Bird (I am an altaholic) Stayed at Best Western right across from SV. so many choices! They are all good!

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Aspen to slc is more like 6:15 in good weather. Denver is much closer.

Copper will be busy on president's weekend. Another option could be skiing one of the smaller ski areas like Sunlight near Aspen on the blackout days.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
We commuted from Glenwood Springs a few years ago, no big deal and excellent restaurants in the town.

Full disclosure, Glenwood is 40 miles from Aspen. Many people who work in Aspen commute from Glenwood to Aspen and traffic can be significant. There are buses which can be a good option. Glenwood will add at least an hour and a half conmute time to your ski day. And, if someone wants to cut their day short, it is a long way home.

Sponsor

Staff online