• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Actually Cloud Nine itself leads the league in Veuve Clicquot sales, on an annual basis....with a four month season. Not my idea of Aspen. I have head of one young lady buying $15K plus of it in two hours, and putting it on Dad's Amex. $125/bottle. 200 bottles to spray. I bet that's not the record. It's gross, IMO.

@Started at 53. the "thing" is that the Cloud Line Bistro, which is at Highlands up on the hill, in a rehabbed ski patrol shack, now has this day long party, which includes a lot of outside seating, table dancing, and yes, spraying endless bottles of Veuve Clicquot. Must be fun. Strip down to your sports bra, keep on your goggles and spend away.

My kids, who know "quite a bit" about Aspen think it's pretty much the doucheyist crowd on snow. Has to be all over You Tube.

Price wise, BTW, the whole thing is lodging. The rest is not cheap, but not outlandish. You can spend a fortune on dinner, but you absolutely do not have to.

Lodging, the key is probably not to be booking at this time of year. Lots of Airbnb and VRBO units, but they fill up early.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
When the Veuve goes......it goes all over. Unless you like Eau de Veuve - consider it a safety device OR go early and eat outside - the tomato soup is really good.

Muleski

Inactive
Yes, that's it. Lotta of spraying in and out. But. then again, you guys might also have some sense of the value of a dollar, particularly if you earned it. Just saying.

For a certain crowd, it's the nuts. People will reserve a table to an entire month. For a lot of regulars, they just stay clear.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
We ate outside early - soup, meats + cheese plate, glass of Veuve - totally subdued - came back by around 3......whole different deal.

IMG_2381.JPG

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ever seen a locker room after a team wins the World Series? That's every day at the Cloud Nine bistro (at least, when the Brazilians are in town).

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Forget that whole scene. Along with the bunny slopes, I won't be hitting that place.

Maybe when I was 19--in the early 90's, rocking a fake ID.

But not anymore. Rather walk around/soak it in/check stuff out.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Forget that whole scene. Along with the bunny slopes, I won't be hitting that place.

Maybe when I was 19--in the early 90's, rocking a fake ID.

But not anymore. Rather walk around/soak it in/check stuff out.

Walk around and enjoy but ski you won't regret it. Ajax, Highlands and Snowmass are all great ski hills if you ignore the glitz.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Walk around and enjoy but ski you won't regret it. Ajax, Highlands and Snowmass are all great ski hills if you ignore the glitz.

We plan on skiing hard. The veritcal isn't really the issue.

And, if it snows/fresh, we'll likely just ski powder the whole time instead. :)

Muleski

Inactive
I thought Gorsuch is one word.

I would walk through, chuckle at the prices, and keep moving. Unless you have a specific brand preference for some expensive ski clothing.

Last time I was there I tried on a suede tyrolian jacket, with real bone buttons, etc. The real deal, straight from Austria. Very "alpine". I think it was $5500. Hah.

Gorsuch is perfect for those who want to look like they have been in Bavaria, or alpinists for generations, but have just bought a little getaway in Aspen. Another Ha!

Great family, BTW.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It really isn't that expensive once you are there - compared to others places as a tourist...

...We usually stay @ Limelight...

Those two statement don't go that well together from my point of view. I would think that staying at the Limelight rates as very expensive for most folks, even if you find a "deal".

That said, I agree that the food prices weren't too bad - no worse than several other big resorts I've been to. And there are pretty good value restaurants and condos to be had in town, or at Snowmass. But it's not "affordable" unless you go to the few places designed to be that way - Tyrolean, St. Moritz, or staying in Carbondale or Basalt.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Those two statement don't go that well together from my point of view. I would think that staying at the Limelight rates as very expensive for most folks, even if you find a "deal".

That said, I agree that the food prices weren't too bad - no worse than several other big resorts I've been to. And there are pretty good value restaurants and condos to be had in town, or at Snowmass. But it's not "affordable" unless you go to the few places designed to be that way - Tyrolean, St. Moritz, or staying in Carbondale or Basalt.

You missed the "once you are there" part. I travel for a living (a lot) - I know what I like and am willing to pay for. Others might have other priorities. All good.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You missed the "once you are there" part. I travel for a living (a lot) - I know what I like and am willing to pay for. Others might have other priorities. All good.

Oh agreed... If you have the means then staying slope side is awesome. I guess I just thought of the hotel cost as being a cost included in "once you were there" (i.e. everything but airfare/driving costs). No worries.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
The Limelight used to be a cheap motel, but it is a great location. I was distraught when they knocked it down and built something nice.

dm

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Ever seen a locker room after a team wins the World Series? That's every day at the Cloud Nine bistro (at least, when the Brazilians are in town).
I've missed that scene. I've twice used a gourmet Cloud Nine lunch as my much needed break after hiking and skiing Highlands Bowl.

Our last stay in Aspen was at the Limelight over MLK weekend 2015. It was about $250/night, more than I try to spend on ski area lodging but worth it for quality and location IMHO.