• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Even though the French are a$$holes, I still may be going here--primarily because I heard the beer flows like wine.

So, school me on it.

Coming in on a Sunday, leaving on a Thursday. Probably ski 4 days.

Where to ski between days?

Where to stay? In town? Highlands? Snowmass?

Looking for lodging below $500/night, all in. This would preferably be a 2br condo. (Would like to ski in ski out at one of the places if we could; we like to ski hard in the morning, lunch/chill at the condo and ski in the afternoon.) We cook all our meals in house--cuz I cook better than I can eat out, it's easier, and we are tired at night.

Do we need a car? Is there uber in Aspen?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As one stop shopping, I like Snowmass, especially if you won't have a car. Everything is contained there and there are quite a few ski in/ski out options. You will like the skiing there too. Look into a Mountain Collective Pass that will give you 2 days and 50% off of the others there. Then also for Mammoth, Jackson and some other resorts that you would want to visit.

There are more qualified people to answer past that. When are you thinking of going?

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
As one stop shopping, I like Snowmass, especially if you won't have a car. Everything is contained there and there are quite a few ski in/ski out options. You will like the skiing there too. Look into a Mountain Collective Pass that will give you 2 days and 50% off of the others there. Then also for Mammoth, Jackson and some other resorts that you would want to visit.

There are more qualified people to answer past that. When are you thinking of going?

No way! The mountain collective? Is that a new pass? Tell me more! :popcorn:

May just upgrade the 'ol squallywood pass and go that route on the 50 off.

Seriously yeah, thinking of going mid-feb. Good times. I'm currently trying to get @Rich Peters to commit to going to the gathering. That would be a no-go for me as it's too extreme.

Snowmass looks rad, but I'm thinking MAYBE we're going to be doing the tourist thing, if the skiing is "normal"....if it's good of course we'll do that while it's good. If it's "normal" we'll likely hop around based on where we should go.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
What I like most about Aspen is 4 mountains with an excellent free bus system and IT IS NOT CROWDED EVEN ON A POWDER DAY.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
I usually get an Airbnb at Snowmass Village, since I'm there only for the skiing, and like the peace and quiet after a long day at Highlands. If you're hitting the après hard, then Aspen town may be the better option for you.

There's an extensive system of free buses with ski racks that run to all 4 mountains, so you can get by without a car. I personally like to have a car with me just because of the extra flexibility it offers. Free parking exists in Snowmass Village. Everything is metered parking or parking passes required in Aspen town. If you have a car with you, the best way to ski Highlands is to park at the free parking lot at Buttermilk, and then take the free shuttle from Buttermilk to Highlands. Snowmass, there's a free parking lot at the base of the village, and then free buses take you up to the mountain.

Wednesdays is locals appreciation day at Highlands with free parking right at the mountain, but spots fill up quickly, so you need to be there at opening to snag a free parking space. Wed's at Highlands there's also a free Bowl tour for the hike up Highland Peak to ski the Bowl (https://www.aspensnowmass.com/our-mountains/aspen-highlands/mountain-tours). Highly recommended if you're comfortable skiing ungroomed steeps and bumps. Also, bring a backpack that you can strap your skis or board to. At 12,000ft, you'll appreciate having both hands and poles free to help you power up the hike to the peak.

Other than the Bowl, the Deep Temerity lift at Highlands services some of the best gladed terrain across the 4 mountains. As you can probably tell, I like Highlands the best out of the 4 mountains. Heading back to Aspen for a quick weekend getaway in late Feb. Can't wait:

The Deep Temerity lift and the Bowl in the background:
View media item 1951
Looking up the Bowl after the ski down:
View media item 1952

Oh yeah, and you'll definitely want the Mountain Collective pass with the 2 free days at Aspen and 50% off after you've used the 2 free days (https://mountaincollective.com/). Lift tickets at Aspen are crazy-expensive at $150+/day.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Some info from the Gathering 2 seasons ago in Aspen here : https://www.pugski.com/threads/the-...-an-intermediate-skiers-first-gathering.1323/

Granted I'm an intermediate, so it might be a different view than you'd take.

I wanted to stay in the town just to stay in an actual ski town (as opposed to a resort) and because I knew I'd be at Aspen Mountain 2 of the ski days. For more limited time, I agree that Snowmass might be easier and you might not want to go anywhere else, but you miss out on the town. Should be AirBnB or Homeaway places available in your price range - I think the 2 bed/2 bath place we stayed was like $350/night for 7 nights - would probably be a bit more for a shorter stay.

If you fly into Aspen, you definitely don't need a car no matter where you stay if you're near the bus routes (most places are).

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Blah is a little off on his parking run down at Snowmass. The free parking near the village is only if you have 3 or it might be 4 people/vehicle. Paying for parking turns free at 1 pm (I think but it might be later in the day). The totally free parking with no restrictions and free shuttle bus is several miles from the ski lifts.

Also the free parking at Buttermilk has free shuttle buses to not just Highlands but Snowmass and town of Aspen as well.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Ski in / ski out at $500/night in prime ski season == Snowmass I'm guessing. That's a-okay. Ajax and Highlands are both worth a day trip. Snowmass is probably the mountain *most* skiers want 2 days on due to its size. People who prize specific things (like Highlands bowl) may prefer two days elsewhere. No need for a car with the great transit system and ride sharing (Uber / Lyft) -- assuming you are flying into Aspen.

Personally I really enjoyed being close to town and on the transit line when I went. We'd ski our butts off, take transit home, shower, and be out for après well before dinner time. And the free buses run late in case you do something stupid like buy tickets to a P-Funk show because the British cougars at the bar had a few extra...

You must be a helluva a cook if you can chef better than Aspen. Some incredible dining.

Last edited:

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
I recommend you plan to ski 1 day each at Snowmass, Highlands, and Ajax, and then spend your 4th day at the mountain you liked the most (which I'm guessing will be either Highlands or Snowmass). Aspen is one of the best places in the world to ski as you will have tons of great terrain to ski, with breath-taking views in every direction, all on uncrowded mountains.

Snowmass Village is probably where you will want to look for lodging in that price range.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We stayed in Snowmass, and did not mind the bus trip to Ajax or Highlands at all.
But.... I thought we'd go into town a couple times in the evening and it just didn't happen. Easier to settle for Snowmass food once you are there. We ate in Aspen exactly once.

No car, we took taxis when we arrived. We actually rode the free bus when we left. The airport is right on the route between Snowmass and Buttermilk.

We stayed in a VRBO condo that was not quite ski in/out, but was a VERY short walk to the Snowmass base, especially once we figure out how to cut through to avoid walking down hill and back up again.

The previous time when I was by myself I stayed at the Snowmass Inn, which is one building back from the ski slope. Lots of ski-in/out, or nearly so, options along that stretch.

Last edited:
TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
To the folks on this thread--what would I have to jump up to in dollars per night to be in town? Everyone keeps referring to the $500/night deal as being up at Snowmass....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To the folks on this thread--what would I have to jump up to in dollars per night to be in town? Everyone keeps referring to the $500/night deal as being up at Snowmass....
I think as much as anything , this group likes Snowmass. I have only skied Aspen a few times but I don't recall too many ski in/ski out condos where again, Snowmass has a lot. Aspen IS a great mountain and should be on any skiers bucket list, Snowmass though..is awesome. Highlands is a jem too.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
At the Gathering two years ago a lot of people stayed in town. Maybe you can get them to comment. Going from memory, so I could be wrong, but I think @JohnL @Gary Stolt @Tony S were among them.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We stayed in town about a block from the gondola. Can't really comment price-wise though as our friend had gotten a deal on our 3 bedroom condo at a charity auction and I think we split 2K between 6 of us. Not suer about ski in ski out, but there is plenty of walk to lodging in the area. @Gary Stolt was in the same condos just a bit down the road. Great location though as we had a grocery store, liquor store and a dispensary right across the street. Everything in town was walkable and the main bus stop was a block away across from the gondola.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I like staying in town. The bus system works great and you'll use every day no matter where you stay. I used to get great deals at the Limelight before they tore it down and built something nice. I've also stayed at the St.Moritz and the Hotel Aspen. We don't do condos because The Woman Of My Dreams gets nervous when she sees a kitchen when we're on vacation.

I like Highlands for easy access to great terrain, and the bowl. Ajax has great terrain but I'm always lost when I'm there, and it seems smaller to me. Snowmass is great for cruising, more like Breckenridge or Vail than the others. Also, the first time I skied there I had to drag TWOMD out of a jewelry store before I even had a lift ticket on my jacket, so there's that.

dm

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

I said snowmass simply because of the ski in/ski out requirement. Way more of that available in Snowmass. If you're willing to walk a few blocks, Aspen town is a great option.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about ski-in-ski-out at Highlands? From a little searching, it looks like the Ritz may be the only lodging at Highlands, and it's way out of the OP's price range. The village is small, but it seems like there should be more lodging there?

I think I have a new bucket list ski trip: Stay at the Highlands Ritz and ski Highlands every morning. Have a late lunch at the condo then take afternoon laps on the gondola at Ajax (two minutes away) before après/Dinner in town. When my legs finally give out, consider a day at Snowmass, or just lay around the Ritz. I think this trip has advanced ahead of my long desired return to the Cliff Lodge. All in my dreams for now! :)

Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
While it's great that you are planning to be on the slopes again this season after your injury on your last ski day, I have to wonder why you had to start this thread with "Even though the French are a$$holes, I still may be going here--primarily because I heard the beer flows like wine." What do the French have to do with Aspen? And did you realize if it was not for the French, we could still be under the British crown?

Note that some of the Snowmass condos are not truly ski in/ski out. Many of them require crossing a road and the one I stayed in (in the 80s) included a long walk up a road/driveway to get to it. There is another thread on Aspen/Snowmass lodging at https://forum.pugski.com/threads/aspen-or-snowmass-lodging.6302/

In Aspen, Airbnb has a 2 bedroom three blocks from gondola for $500/night and a ski in/ski out one for $800/night, but not likely available (or pricier AND probably plus tax and cleaning fee) if your Sun-Thu starts with President's weekend. Another option that has 2-bedroom units near town is the Meadows at the Aspen Institute, but you'd have to shuttle to/from skiing and it's too far to go back for lunch. It's a beautiful location overlooking the Roaring Fork river and used to give discount with MCP which could get it down to $500/night (not President's weekend).

I also have to question to wonder why go to Aspen if you are not going to try some of the great places to eat in town. If you take advantage of bar menu, they are not that expensive, especially for the quality, and to me that requires less effort than shopping, cooking and cleaning up required for making my own meals.

Last edited:

Sponsor