• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Has anyone done one of these tours for highlands?
https://www.aspensnowmass.com/our-mountains/aspen-highlands/mountain-tours

Specifically, the site mentions:
"Special Program - Highlands Bowl Tour* (Wednesday Only): 10:30am (Meet at the Guest Service Cabin next to the Merry go Round)"

and then ...
"Highlands Bowl Tours require signing up beforehand, therefore tours depart at 11:45am. Additionally, all skiers must be expert level or better to join. These tours will begin January 3, 2018."

January 3 is Thursday? Typo? So if I show up January 2 (Wed) at the guest service cabin @ 10:30AM, i can sign up. Then return 1hr later to do the tour?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Aspen in the winter reminds me of East Hampton in the summer when it comes to cost of entertainment. If you want to see some no name band at the Belly Up, anywhere else they'd cost you $25 to $30. At Aspen Belly Up? $70 to $90, instead. Why? Because Aspen.

Well, partly. The Belly Up is also probably the best place I've ever seen a live show. I would say it's worth the upcharge. But yes, you can wait a day and usually see the same act at Red Rocks, or elsewhere, for half the price. If you like a small, intimate, no-bad-seat-in-the-house spot with table service, though...

LowPressureKarl

Putting on skis
Skier
My plan now is to go to whatever bar/pizza/burger joint is not doing the NYE prix fixe thing and then go downtown to observe fireworks and people. We'll save the $$ to get multiple better dinners during the rest of the stay.

Just go out really early, 5:30ish, and you’ll be fine. Show up a 7 and wait a couple of hours.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I can recommend the French Alpine Bistro in Aspen.

Just got back from our trip to Snowmass. We had dinner at the French Bistro (Creperie) and it was definitely the high point for food.

Ellina was also very good - Italian place. A bit loud in there though...

Skied 3 days at Snowmass and 2 days at Ajax. Snow and weather were great. ASE airport sucked.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Just got back from our trip to Snowmass. ASE airport sucked.

Much better if you are flying in and out on your own plane this time of year. Haha. Heck it's so crowded that many have had to have their pilots leave their aircraft at Eagle-Vail. Nuts, right? It's also a huge time to rent that black Suburban or Escalade. They bring those in starting earlier in the month to meet the demand.

Normally the airport is pretty darn good. But these two most recent weeks are far from "normal," even in terms of Aspen. All lights are on. Everybody's in town.

Curious as to what the "suckage" was at ASE? Too many customers, not enough staff, too much luggage?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just got back from our trip to Snowmass. We had dinner at the French Bistro (Creperie) and it was definitely the high point for food.

Ellina was also very good - Italian place. A bit loud in there though...

Skied 3 days at Snowmass and 2 days at Ajax. Snow and weather were great. ASE airport sucked.

5 ski days and no Highlands? :nono:

Still... I'm really jealous. I love Aspen!

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
@Muleski suckage stemmed from insufficient staff to deal with getting multiple planes out simultaneously from weather delay. Specifically for american airlines. The backlog was so bad the pilots were yelling at the gate attendants, as they were running up against crew rest requirements. All airlines were having similar issues.

The weather issue was well forecasted... not sure why there is zero contingency plan in place... not like these flights were cheap either. Basically a shitshow at the airport.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The weather issue was well forecasted... not sure why there is zero contingency plan in place... not like these flights were cheap either. Basically a shitshow at the airport.

I don't think being well forecasted matters with Aspen. They plan for a lot of flights in and out, and when weather intervenes, there's no contingency. They just try to get everyone in and out as fast as they can once things clear, with the obvious tension and rancor that brings.

When I flew in there for the Aspen Gathering a few years ago, it was the first day they'd been open after about 40" of snow, so as many delayed flights as possible were coming in, and was a bit of a madhouse. Took maybe 45 mins to wait for my bags (with hardly any place to put them, for all the people and extra bags coming in... they were lined up or stacked everywhere), and then maybe a half an hour to get a taxi.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
@dbostedo no highlands this trip. Only one of the five days was flexible for location, and as it happened highlands wasn't really an option that day. I skied snowmass instead since that was where we were staying.

Next time I think we will try to stay in aspen to have easier access to ajax and highlands. We stayed in snowmass since we had 50% off the accommodations. Skiing was still good.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I guess I would recommend not using the aspen airport unless:

1. You are ok with arriving or leaving 2 days later than you planned.
2. You have a way to sleep free (ie you know a guy) and you can use travel credits if you get kicked off plane.
3. Private jet/filthy rich...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

2. You have a way to sleep free (ie you know a guy) and you can use travel credits if you get kicked off plane.

RE: #1... I had booked a cancellable rental car in Denver, and was planning to drive if I needed to, to avoid getting stuck in Denver.

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
I don't think being well forecasted matters with Aspen. They plan for a lot of flights in and out, and when weather intervenes, there's no contingency. They just try to get everyone in and out as fast as they can once things clear, with the obvious tension and rancor that brings.

When I flew in there for the Aspen Gathering a few years ago, it was the first day they'd been open after about 40" of snow, so as many delayed flights as possible were coming in, and was a bit of a madhouse. Took maybe 45 mins to wait for my bags (with hardly any place to put them, for all the people and extra bags coming in... they were lined up or stacked everywhere), and then maybe a half an hour to get a taxi.

We had same problem. Our flight got scrubbed coming in to ASE on 12/31, unplanned overnight in LAX, and then when arriving into ASE on 1/1, we had to wait 75min for luggage. This was on a 100min long flight in the air. We spoke today to the AA gate agent on duty then while leaving today and they said it was unusually bad then. Normally we fly into EGE or DEN for Colorado skiing, and so far, I prefer doing it that way. We'll see...maybe if the flight(s) back home are easy it will change my mind. The AA agent said there is difficulty in hiring local airport staff, so employers are busing in people from other airports, and lodging them down valley. They don't have much ability to respond to problems with this arrangement

All that being said - we did have a great 5 days skiing (3 at Snowmass, 1 at Ajax, and a day at Buttermilk). And I very much recommend these two hotels: Snowmass Mountain Chalet and the Molly Gibson Lodge. Folks on this thread might have mentioned them. They are great for their location, food, and overall family friendliness. Highlights for dining would be the French Alpine Bistro in downtown Aspen...but make reservations before you get into town. Its like a real Savoyard barn restaurant. Although generally a pricey town there were lower priced options that I did not expect would even exist (Rhino's in Aspen, Big Hoss Grill in the Snowmass Mall).

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Although generally a pricey town there were lower priced options that I did not expect would even exist

Yes we have a similar experience. Budget dining and $extreme$ are both available.

We also flew in on Dec 31. We got lucky and had our plane diverted to Grand Junction. Bus the rest of the way. So relatively painless. Overall we were very lucky. We did make it out and barely made the connecting flight home (layover was 4 hrs, shrunk to about 20 minutes...). About 70% of the people at the airport were screwed.

I guess what I don't understand is, if they are expecting bad weather 24 hrs out, with it lasting for 48 hours, why there is no option to rebook to another airport in advance without a change fee. I have had airlines do this before... they send a notice saying you can rebook for $0 now or roll the dice at the airport tomorrow. Your flight is likely to be cancelled -- go ahead and arrange a bus to Denver (leaving from the airport) and rebook proactively. Move the people to where the staff are located.

@dbostedo We did make an alternate flight reservation and car to fly out of Denver. Cancelled these when the plane was taxiing. In the future, we will use the Denver airport. If we decide to fly to Aspen again, it won't be on American.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Yes we have a similar experience. Budget dining and $extreme$ are both available.

We also flew in on Dec 31. We got lucky and had our plane diverted to Grand Junction. Bus the rest of the way. So relatively painless. Overall we were very lucky. We did make it out and barely made the connecting flight home (layover was 4 hrs, shrunk to about 20 minutes...). About 70% of the people at the airport were screwed.

I guess what I don't understand is, if they are expecting bad weather 24 hrs out, with it lasting for 48 hours, why there is no option to rebook to another airport in advance without a change fee. I have had airlines do this before... they send a notice saying you can rebook for $0 now or roll the dice at the airport tomorrow. Your flight is likely to be cancelled -- go ahead and arrange a bus to Denver (leaving from the airport) and rebook proactively. Move the people to where the staff are located.

@dbostedo We did make an alternate flight reservation and car to fly out of Denver. Cancelled these when the plane was taxiing. In the future, we will use the Denver airport. If we decide to fly to Aspen again, it won't be on American.
Have you considered Eagle County airport? Closer to Aspen than DEN and being at lower altitude, doesn't shut down due to weather as much as Aspen airport, from what I've read. More flight options than Aspen, as well.

https://www.epicmountainexpress.com/eagle-vail-airport-shuttle

pile

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Any advice on where to get skis tuned in Aspen?

Got a pretty nasty coreshot today and looking to get it repaired ASAP.

Ken in LA

Pulling down the safety bar
Skier
Any advice on where to get skis tuned in Aspen?

Got a pretty nasty coreshot today and looking to get it repaired ASAP.
I had tuning done in Aspen last week and found the service to be prompt and courteous at Four Mountain Sports. They have several locations. I went to the shop near the Ajax gondola on 520 E Durant Ave. Aspen Dave was very helpful. Good luck!

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
@pile

Great shop in Snowmass called GENE TAYLOR'S SPORTS. Friendly and knowledgeable staff. It was recommended to me by some locals. They helped fix an issue with my bindings and gave my skis a quick wax.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier

Just stumbled on to this thread. You are right, ASE was a junk show right after New Years. Flew in to ASE on the 3rd on AA. On our plane the baggage door was jammed, so couldn’t get our gear for 5 hours. They had to shuttle in a mechanic apparently to fix it. Which then delayed outbound flight using our equipment. We were instructed to fill out the claims at the ticket counter since AA doesn’t have baggage rep in the area with carousel. Ticket counter had no idea, and said it wasn’t their problem. Seriously. Got on the phone to Exec Plat desk and got it fixed.

They looked like they all had shell shock. They clearly were not staffed appropriately for volume and then the weather impacts compounding it. I saw one Australian lady crying, I mean balling, about missing her flight to AUS since she missed her flight to LAX. Also, ots of people with inflated egos, all trying to get out and one up each other, (if they were that important they would be flying private). They should know that ticket agent is the gateway to the aircraft. Be nice.

Anyway, ASE is certainly a crapshoot (done it many times) sometime it works perfect and sometime goes horribly wrong. When it does go wrong there are limited alternative (unlike say DEN or SLC), so you just suck it up as part of the “Aspen Tax”. But when it works (li,e your plane is the only commercial to get in due to a break in the snow) it’s a thing of beauty

That said - weekend was great, beautiful day w/ softsnow at highlands - raclette, radlers and madame cliquot for a late afternoon alpine lunch.

606AC281-8BEA-497B-85C8-474050A037C8.jpeg

And a powder day Sunday on Ajax

Anecdotally, I heard the “backup” on the ramp was also due to all the privates trying to get out before the storm cycle that was coming.

Sponsor

Staff online