• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
@kitchener, I would read the whole thread. I'd also use the search function.

Hard to go wrong anywhere, and I'm offering a different opinion. If you do stay at the base of Ajax, it will be significantly more expensive than staying out at Snowmass. Either way, I'd start with Airbnb, VRBO, etc. You can find some deals. But get on it NOW.

Have fun.

Good advice -- I'm not too hung up on the where-to-ski part -- we'll sample then return to whatever cream rises to our surface (with a nod toward conditions), but I appreciate your arguments for staying downtown. I might start grading on a curve toward that direction. You mentioned "Old Snowmass" -- is that the village (not the base)?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Staying near a bus stop along one of the intermountain bus lines should be an option too. I've never done it, but there were people getting picked up and dropped off at them as we went between mountains. (They are on-demand, so they don't slow the ride much, unlike what you might be used to on city buses.)

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Staying near a bus stop along one of the intermountain bus lines should be an option too. I've never done it, but there were people getting picked up and dropped off at them as we went between mountains. (They are on-demand, so they don't slow the ride much, unlike what you might be used to on city buses.)

U$eful tip, I bet. How often do the buses run and to how late, any idea?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Old Snowmass is basically an older unincorporated village between Aspen and Basalt. It's the real deal. Older homes, ranches, etc. You find a lot of the older Aspen families living there, on big pieces of land. I have family there who have owned a ranch along the river for about 50 years. There is very little there. NOT a place that you would stay on vacation. Not the same as Snowmass Village, at all. Not to be confused.

Snowmass is the mountain most removed from downtown. It's still darn close. They all are. But it's easy to stay in Snowmass Village and stay right there. Maybe make one or two trips downtown. Nobody living in Aspen is heading to Snowmass, the than to ski, or catch up with friends who live there. Property there is still quite expensive, in some cases REALLY expensive, but nothing like the core. So a lot of people who live year round and work in Aspen live in Snowmass Village, after smoke out relative deals there.

For example, I have a younger friend who is renting a very nice one BR in the core. Really nice. $3K plus a month. That would be less than half in Snowmass.
And Old Snowmass....different altogether. For this discussion ignore it completely.

Hope that's not confusing.

Bus service is exceptional. Great. Blows other ski towns away, IMO.

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
I realize that most people do not have a stash of Best Western loyalty points laying around....but for those who do there is a promotion between mid Nov to mid Jan to redeem them for any BW room Sun-Thurs for only 10k pts per night. That is a crazy good deal.

I just checked Sun Valley as an example for Dec 27 as an example, and both the BW's there are available. Same for the Truckee one (for skiing in North Lake Tahoe). Having stayed at those ones mentioned in ski country, they are very good value, well located, and have a solid breakfast.

Those are places/dates when cash room rates are $200-300+ so good way to use up points. Wish I had more of them, but they're hard to earn generally.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
My wife and I will be in Aspen the week of New Years. We are staying in Snowmass. She is especially keen on fireworks -- is there a display in Aspen? Where would be a good place to watch these?

What about NYE dinner? We are foodies, but also not looking to spend a foolish amount on dinner - which seems to be a recurring theme in this thread. I think I can almost get my head around $150pp for a NYE dinner with wine pairing. Much less would be good too. This is opposite of what we usually do -- we typically keep things quiet for NYE.

I think suggestions about where/what to ski have been addressed already -- I need to reread this thread a couple times!

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife and I will be in Aspen the week of New Years. We are staying in Snowmass. She is especially keen on fireworks -- is there a display in Aspen? Where would be a good place to watch these?

What about NYE dinner? We are foodies, but also not looking to spend a foolish amount on dinner - which seems to be a recurring theme in this thread. I think I can almost get my head around $150pp for a NYE dinner with wine pairing. Much less would be good too. This is opposite of what we usually do -- we typically keep things quiet for NYE.

I think suggestions about where/what to ski have been addressed already -- I need to reread this thread a couple times!

There are usually 2 fireworks displays over Aspen Mountain -an early one for those who don't stay up late and a midnight one. You can see anywhere from downtown.

A couple of years ago, a group of us did the NYE dinner at Pinecreek Cookhouse. You can snowshoe, x country ski or take the sleigh to dinner. It was really fun. Whatever you choose, make reservations early as things fill up quickly.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier

They do an early fireworks display at Snowmass along with the skiers coming down the mountain with flares. It's pretty cool - my kids loved it.
We did the 'snowcat dinner' to Lynn Britt cabin at Snowmass. It was very expensive for a pretty ordinary experience to be honest.
I can recommend the French Alpine Bistro in Aspen. I don't know if they do a special NYE menu though.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Normally 8PM and around midnight. I bet the chamber of commerce has the whole schedule on line. Pretty much every restaurant in the core has a prix fixe menu that night, multi course, and varying degrees of expensive. Last time we were there we had dinner in with friends. I can’t blame any of the restaurants. It’s their huge week, and they charge whatever the market will bear. I think dinner at the Little Nell, with primo viewing of the torchlight parade and fireworks, runs $500+ per head.
We have only been there once on the last few years at that time of year. Wanted to see our daughter and it’s a very busy week for her.

So...keep in mind that it is the most expensive week in the most expensive ski town in the country. Ajax Cup, etc. going on.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Woops, the one I posted earlier is the budget option. If you don't want to cheap out, you do this:

aspen_LOLx2.png

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't miss the $10,000++ option for a private cat ride!

How much is ++, anyway? Yes, I have to ask!

Celebrate_2018_19_New_Year_s_Eve_in_Aspen___Aspen_CO_Chamber.jpg
Or for about $20 at New York Pizza, you can get a huge slice, huge salad, and a beer!

20140306_193131.jpg

Just remember they are cash only, and the attitude with the service is part of the experience. :thumb::thumb:

LowPressureKarl

Putting on skis
Skier
We go out to dinner a lot and NYE is the one night, we won’t. Eat at home, mix a large roadie in a plastic cup, walk around town and take in the hoopla.
All the hotel bars are still open and the ladies are dressed to the 9’s.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
NYE is a terrible night to eat out. Restaurants are way over crowded, and thus both service and food suffers. On top of that the prices are jacked up. Order delivery and buy some really expensive champagne.

I can't remember the name, but we found a pretty good and reasonable priced Thai place that a lot of the locals seemed to frequent.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
The Elks Club in Aspen has a NYE dinner. We went a few years ago. Fun night and the Elks is a great place to view fireworks.

NYE is expensive anywhere.

I agree with Lowpressure Karl. A good night to eat at home.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Agree 100% with not going out for NYE (or Valentine's) in general. My wife has FOMO (fear of missing out). I think the $300++ pp charge for the 'affordable' tier of reservations is bringing her around.

My plan now is to go to whatever bar/pizza/burger joint is not doing the NYE prix fixe thing and then go downtown to observe fireworks and people. We'll save the $$ to get multiple better dinners during the rest of the stay.

We are staying in Snowmass.

Sponsor