• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Also, I object the use of word "Idiot" in a title of this thread. What if this guy turns out to be Princeton professor ? no, not really, i just said that, but really ... we labeled him right away !

/QUOTE]
Of course we did. Just like when some idiot cuts us off in traffic and almost causes an accident - and yes, for all we know it might be a Princeton professor.
I wish we wouldn't' get so PC that we can't react instinctively without a correction. Where I'm from, and where I still live, an idiot is someone who, for lack of proper psychiatric evaluation, did something idiotic. Sorry for all those who take offense.....

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It's not being PC - it's just being more dignified.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Pretty sure people can draw their own conclusions, regardless of what the title says.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This MUST be a sliding scale, though. A 29 year old is a vastly different beast from a 13 year old.
Actually alcohol affects the frontal lobe in a drastic manner and inhibits it’s ability to “predict” consequences of actions ... which is exactly like a 13 year old. The only sliding scale is the amount of alcohol imbibed. (Citation included) Don’t get me wrong.. I enjoy my cocktails but I also accept that my maturity may be affected!
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-are-the-effects-of-a/

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry for all those who take offense.....
I don't really think its about taking offense, or being PC as much as setting apart the difference between a news story and tabloid journalism.
Granted, this isn't the Washington Post or NYT of the ski industry, but we hope to not be the National Enquirer either. Like it or not, the title can set an expectation of content.
The guy went rogue, which was idiotic.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Actually alcohol affects the frontal lobe in a drastic manner and inhibits it’s ability to “predict” consequences of actions ... which is exactly like a 13 year old. The only sliding scale is the amount of alcohol imbibed. (Citation included) Don’t get me wrong.. I enjoy my cocktails but I also accept that my maturity may be affected!
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-are-the-effects-of-a/

By sliding scale, I meant the part about the lobe not being developed until 30.

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thread drift! Brings to mind a Peter O'Toole movie "Rogue Male". Anyone who manages to take a potshot at Hitler can't be all bad. Good movie!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Idiot is a more dignified term than douche, right?

Being called out for what he did on the Internet is part of his rightful punishment, IMO. I hope he sees this thread someday, and also hope it might deter others for fear of similar public flogging.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I guess people don't want to be sued by idiots?

Fair enough, but we can't call people doing idiotic things idiots anymore?? OK

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Any news on the offending idiot? And I say that realizing he may be a Rhodes scholar.

My guess would be trust fund kid's parents' lawyers have embarked on damage control missions or are about to by sending C&D orders to online sources calling their client responsible for the damage done in idiotic stunt..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I guess people don't want to be sued by idiots?
Fair enough, but we can't call people doing idiotic things idiots anymore?? OK
I'm not going to defend my reasons any further, and quite frankly I don't understand why you can't see it.
I didn't censor anything in the thread, just changed the title. Deal with it.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Folks. OMG. I can't believe we are discussing all this.

The original title wasn't terrible, and we know @crgildart , he means well. But the new title is much better: it is more descriptive, and it has less potential for attracting people who, unlike @crgildart , will actually come here to call people names and such, Yes, I also think or yell "idiot" when someone cuts me in traffic. And no, I wouldn't title a work email with "Idiot" in the subject.

The real weird thing is to have like 15 posts about this. We all like each other and we all love skiing. Can we just move on and talk about skiing, at a higher level?

Full disclosure. I am an idiot. I actually say that now and then. I made mistakes that, thank God, didn't result in really bad outcomes for me or others. But I've done plenty of stupid things. I try not to, but I'm not perfect. Maybe because of this, I try to relax, and not judge others too much. I think we are more and more, as a society, pointing fingers at each other, judging others. That's one of the stupid things I do now and then, by the way.

So, how about, instead of questioning @Tricia for censorship where there simply was a slight change in language, we just move on and let her take care of other things on the site. Or in her daily life.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So, how about, instead of questioning @Tricia for censorship where there simply was a slight change in language, we just move on and let her take care of other things on the site. Or in her daily life.

Agreed but would have been nice to at least ask me or post a notification instead of just erasing my entire title and saying nothing about it, zero explanation.

If asked I would have been fine with something very close to that.. Instead of this:
"Multiple spectator injuries dampen Copper’s end of season party when participant goes rogue"
How about this?
"Multiple spectator injuries dampen Copper’s end of season party BECAUSE participant goes rogue"

I don't know. If that thread title was unacceptable I guess I'll need to take a break from here. No, I wouldn't call a colleague an idiot AT work but I woudn't think twice about calling a competitor making what we saw as a terrible business decision one at work..

Cleanup in aisle 5...

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed but would have been nice to at least ask me or post a notification instead of just erasing my entire title and saying nothing about it, zero explanation.

If asked I would have been fine with something very close to that.. Instead of this:
"Multiple spectator injuries dampen Copper’s end of season party when participant goes rogue"
How about this?
"Multiple spectator injuries dampen Copper’s end of season party BECAUSE participant goes rogue"

I don't know. If that thread title was unacceptable I guess I'll need to take a break from here. No, I wouldn't call a colleague an idiot AT work but I woudn't think twice about calling a competitor making what we saw as a terrible business decision one at work..

Cleanup in aisle 5...

Nothing to see here. Move on.

Last edited:

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
I just think that these events should be organized better, "idiot proof" if you like ...

Especially in this time ... There are too many "distractions" for otherwise "normal" individuals to operate properly in this world. Internet being one. We are adjusting slowly as society but it might take awhile ... While we had limits what is appropriate to say or not while growing up - now that we have internet it is a big debate what is appropriate to say or not. ""Free" does not equal "ethic" ... IMO

I hope everybody involved learns from this, recovers health wise and the guy responsible for this "idiotic" act is appropriately punished for his action.

I also hope that Copper will learn from this and organize this event next year with more care.

Sponsor

Staff online