• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Obviously an idiot,

But if the stunt could have been pulled it off, what fun!
Amateur!

It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

Speedy recovery to the injured!

James

Out There
Instructor
I still don't get what je was trying to do. Hit the jump sideways and go over the crowd on the side?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I still don't get what je was trying to do. Hit the jump sideways and go over the crowd on the side?

I think so. The crowd is, what, 6 or 7 people deep? Then it's snow on the other side? Or, you know, puppies and infants and things he had no way of seeing...

I must have just missed it. I skied a couple hours in the morning with @Mr.Vertical /GZ. It was colder than I expected and we went inside to grab a hot drink. Actually saw the fire trucks exiting the area, but didn't know why they were there (In fact I didn't know until I read in the paper the other day what had happened.)

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish this was more strongly enforced:

(9) No person shall move uphill on any passenger tramway or use any ski slope or trail while such person's ability to do so is impaired by the consumption of alcohol or by the use of any controlled substance, as defined in section 12-22-303 (7), C.R.S., or other drug or while such person is under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance, as defined in section 12-22-303 (7), C.R.S., or other drug.
https://www.coloradoski.com/sites/default/files/uploads/Colorado-Ski-Safety-Act.pdf
Images of him being walked off in cuffs by the Sheriffs would have been good. I hope why that didn't happen is explored further.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Images of him being walked off in cuffs by the Sheriffs would have been good. I hope why that didn't happen is explored further.

Well, there isn't exactly much precedent for this, lol! Sounds like they got him into patrol office and once they realized someone had been seriously injured, and that this wasn't a spur-of-the-moment decision or accident, they did step up the charges.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's just mind boggling. Any jibber or random person who has even a meager amount of experience hitting jumps, big or small could look at a set up like that and be able to judge whether or not it was actually "doable" and if so, how much speed would be needed. This fool seemed to have completely misjudged everything. Not even close... Horrible fail with human consequences..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So when this kinda stuff happens..we should pause for thought..
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/that-watson-gap-jump-7785/
It's just mind boggling. Any jibber or random person who has even a meager amount of experience hitting jumps, big or small could look at a set up like that and be able to judge whether or not it was actually "doable" and if so, how much speed would be needed. This fool seemed to have completely misjudged everything. Not even close... Horrible fail with human consequences..

Maybe but the essential takeaway to my mind is "Don't use people as props without their consent".

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, there isn't exactly much precedent for this, lol! Sounds like they got him into patrol office and once they realized someone had been seriously injured, and that this wasn't a spur-of-the-moment decision or accident, they did step up the charges.

Yeah, I'm thinking more in the general case of skier collisions. If there ever was a case for calling the authorities immediately this is it. The idiot violated multiple laws. He should have been in the back of a sheriff's car on the way to get a blood test before he even made it to the ski patrol office, IMO. They may have missed that window with the delay.

My concern is standard corporate behavior Is to try to deal with things internally to avoid liability and bad PR from police reports.

How about updating the skier safety act and put a duty on ski areas to report any suspected violations to authorities promptly, otherwise risk losing their protection from liability?