• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
No offense to the younger crowd with my next statement, but even impaired, the mind is not as developed with reasoning ability, foresight in seeing the consequences for one's actions, and feelings of invincibility--especially for males. There is a reason that auto insurance for males under 25 is atrocious and that some rental agencies will not rent to certain age groups. Even though this guy is 26, I think it is entirely plausible that this could be due to poor judgment, substance abuse, or a combination of the two. IMO, I cannot automatically jump to the conclusion that someone is impaired. I think sometimes we want to blame external factors instead of wanting to think that someone is just that stupid.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
No offense to the younger crowd with my next statement, but even impaired, the mind is not as developed with reasoning ability, foresight in seeing the consequences for one's actions, and feelings of invincibility--especially for males. There is a reason that auto insurance for males under 25 is atrocious and that some rental agencies will not rent to certain age groups. Even though this guy is 26, I think it is entirely plausible that this could be due to poor judgment, substance abuse, or a combination of the two. IMO, I cannot automatically jump to the conclusion that someone is impaired. I think sometimes we want to blame external factors instead of wanting to think that someone is just that stupid.
It's that frontal lobe ... it's not fully developed until 30ish or so. Alcohol, however, inhibits it from functioning correctly. Put it this way ... 2 thirteen year olds find a grocery cart at the top of a steep hill. One jumps in and tells his/her friend to give it a push. The friend does. The cart is about half way down the hill at a break neck speed before either of them considers the fact that the cart has no braking or steering system. The frontal lobe allows us to predict the possible outcomes of our actions.

Two 30 years olds drink too much alcohol and find a grocery cart at the top of a steep hill .... same situation.

When I started teaching middle school, everyone asked me how much more I preferred it to tending bar. I always said ... I only work 4 weekends a year and mostly everyone is sober. Otherwise, it's much the same! ;)

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
That is indeed a dangerously short stopping area if you clear the pond.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Well this is a little interesting.... I often watch the Vail Daily's "On The Hill" video... and was just checking out the one from Vail's final day, when they did their pond skim. And who do they briefly interview, but this guy :
View attachment 44645
He is dressed as Lindsey Vonn... and ironically mentions having to stop quickly when he finished to avoid hitting the crowd. (They show his skim in the video.)
Here's the page with the video : https://www.vaildaily.com/news/on-the-hill/video-vail-closing-day-2018/

Compare the photos. I can't load them side-by-side here (tried, failed).
Looks like it's the same guy ... Hayden Wright, who jumped the crowd at Copper.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Well this is a little interesting.... I often watch the Vail Daily's "On The Hill" video... and was just checking out the one from Vail's final day, when they did their pond skim. And who do they briefly interview, but this guy :

View attachment 44645

He is dressed as Lindsey Vonn... and ironically mentions having to stop quickly when he finished to avoid hitting the crowd. (They show his skim in the video.)

Here's the page with the video : https://www.vaildaily.com/news/on-the-hill/video-vail-closing-day-2018/

Yep, same fool telling us he's done several of these and that experience showed on the footage there. Granted, the Copper venue was quite different. Not some yahoo making a colossal error in his first event of that nature though..

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Any liability and/or negligence on Copper's part ? Your thoughts ...

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Vail pond skim is dangerous for the average/good skier -- not enough room to stop after clearing the pond. The Copper pond skim was made dangerous by the idiot.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Also, I object the use of word "Idiot" in a title of this thread. What if this guy turns out to be Princeton professor ? no, not really, i just said that, but really ... we labeled him right away ! Bad judgement ... now it is a court thing to decide ...

At this point it looks like somebody did something that caused some injuries to multiple people at the certain event.

And to be clear - if I or anyone of my family gets injured at event like this -I would sue the shi. out of them !!!

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
He had an "official number" 39 on him - somebody allowed him to participate in this event ...

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, I object the use of word "Idiot" in a title of this thread. What if this guy turns out to be Princeton professor ? no, not really, i just said that, but really ... we labeled him right away ! Bad judgement ... now it is a court thing to decide ...

At this point it looks like somebody did something that caused some injuries to multiple people at the certain event.

And to be clear - if I or anyone of my family gets injured at event like this -I would sue the shi. out of them !!!
Yup. Me too. If you hold an event and permit the spectators to be this close to the action, you need to control the event better than that.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Meh, some people can handle more than .05% or even ,15% BAC driving just fine and some people can handle a few texts while operating a motor vehicle just fine.

And yet, the VAST majority of people who think they can do it just fine, can't. (citation needed) There's a lot more to driving than keeping your vehicle between the lines. You have to be able to respond to other (sometimes erratic) vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists coming from the side, children running to retrieve a soccer ball, animals ranging from pet cats to meese that can total your car ...

It's that frontal lobe ... it's not fully developed until 30ish or so. Alcohol, however, inhibits it from functioning correctly. Put it this way ... 2 thirteen year olds find a grocery cart at the top of a steep hill. One jumps in and tells his/her friend to give it a push. The friend does. The cart is about half way down the hill at a break neck speed before either of them considers the fact that the cart has no braking or steering system. The frontal lobe allows us to predict the possible outcomes of our actions.

This MUST be a sliding scale, though. A 29 year old is a vastly different beast from a 13 year old.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Also, I object the use of word "Idiot" in a title of this thread.
Yeah, that was kind of bugging me too, as its not the general tone of Pugski, but I thought maybe I was picking nits.
Title has been changed.

Sponsor

Staff online