• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Well mental illness sometimes factors in..
Agreed, but that's usually with malicious acts. FWIW there's a pretty high correlation between bipolar and other common mental disorders and alcoholism and drug abuse. That's when the being drunk is more of a symptom of a bigger mental problem of course. What I'm really saying is that when there is horribly poor judgment executed by a an individual without a known history of such stupidity when sober, more often than now (way more often than not) they were wasted at the time. I'd bet my car this dude was either pretty high or pretty drunk or both when he decided that was a good idea. Only those there would know for sure though. Just rolling with the odds here..

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Come to UT, you can ski and ride all day with a camel back of beer and stay sober.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Seriously, YES I do! It's not sober adults throwing boulders off highway overpasses. I can't think of many REALLY stupid moves by fully mature adults where alcohol or some other mind altering substance wasn't a factor somehow.

Just curious where your expertise on this matter comes from. Are you in some profession that deals with these situations and keeps records of such incidents or is this just your "expert" opinion?

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Just curious where your expertise on this matter comes from. Are you in some profession that deals with these situations and keeps records of such incidents or is this just your "expert" opinion?
30 years experience with 12 step programs. I've worked with literally thousands of addicts and alcoholics. Personally I'm 19 years sober after 25 not.

Honestly, I have no problem with drinking, or even people drinking to excess. That said, if someone at a gathering did something THAT stupid and claimed they only had one drink I'd question that. I suspect several of us who enjoy the buzz factor to these events get started before hitting the $$ resort bar.

Let's keep these shenanigans limited to Hippity Hop races.

Last edited:
TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Come to UT, you can ski and ride all day with a camel back of beer and stay sober.

No lie. Back when the state I did my undergrad degree had 3.2% legal for 18 and over we used to joke about how much more money they could make installing pay toilets in the bar bathrooms.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
30 years experience with 12 step programs. I've worked with literally thousands of addicts and alcoholics. Personally I'm 19 years sober after 25 not.

Honestly, I have no problem with drinking, or even people drinking to excess. That said, if someone at a gathering did something THAT stupid and claimed they only had one drink I'd question that. I suspect several of us who enjoy the buzz factor to these events get started before hitting the $$ resort bar.

Let's keep these shenanigans limited to Hippity Hop races.
Good for you!

Fwiw, Alcohol isn't my thing and I can't entirely relate on a personal level but I have had a releationship go south fast when she a recovering alcoholic fell off the wagon ... it's no day in the park.

Btw, I agree with your thoughts WRT this thread.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Good for you!

Fwiw, Alcohol isn't my thing and I can't entirely relate on a personal level but I have had a releationship go south fast when she a recovering alcoholic fell off the wagon ... it's no day in the park.

Btw, I agree with your thoughts WRT this thread.

Ya, been on both sides of this debate pretty strongly. But, even sober I don't blame alcohol or other substances for peoples' problems. That is just a symptom. I'm pretty much a libertarian on social issues of alcohol and most drugs. Treat any problems that arise as health issues, not criminal issues. Adults who can manage responsibly (i.e. no driving or other reckless behavior) should be allowed to do what they want at home or other acceptable venues like the ball park or après ski.

If crowd skim dude needs help I hope he gets it. Might end up being part of a plea deal if so. Good thing he didn't do more damage. Regardless of mitigating factors this should be a wake up call to him. This could have been far worse. I'm glad it wasn't.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Let's quit jumping to conclusions ... I'm a little uncomfortable about the accusations being leveled here. It is possible to get drop-dead drunk without endangering others, and it is possible to be a batshit crazy sober mofo.

Any other pond skim stories?

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I wouldn't be that surprised if he was reasonably sober given the amount of stupid shit that seems to occur on a daily basis.

I've heard people complain social media has increased propensity for doing stupid things as well. There may be something to that, and I do believe he had a GoPro? Regardless, he made a really boneheaded decision that seriously hurt someone and he needs to be held accountable.

My biggest fear about skiing used to be getting whacked by some out of control dimwit. But now by biggest fear is driving to the resort. I can't tell you the number of idiots I see texting while driving along narrow canyon roads in Utah. Utah lowered the blood alcohol limit to 0.05, and I think texting and driving has to be as at least as dangerous. In fact, I'm much more worried about texters on the road in Utah at this point than drunk drivers.

Last edited:

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
I’ve known plenty of people in my days that were wonderfully charming people but didn’t give a tinkers damn about anyone but themselves that did utterly senseless acts that abuses, endangered, belittled, you name it, others without ever considering the victims. They did it for their self amusement. Sometimes they had a few but more often they were stone sober. Please quit using alcohol/drugs as an excuse for the conscious behavior of narcissistic selfish jerks.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Let's quit jumping to conclusions ... I'm a little uncomfortable about the accusations being leveled here. It is possible to get drop-dead drunk without endangering others, and it is possible to be a batshit crazy sober mofo.

Any other pond skim stories?

Big Sly had theirs yesterday on a glorious 60 degree sunny day. Everyone was having a great time with many adult beverages consumed and I didn’t see a single act of asshattery. It was a perfect ending to a magical season.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve known plenty of people in my days that were wonderfully charming people but didn’t give a tinkers damn about anyone but themselves that did utterly senseless acts that abuses, endangered, belittled, you name it, others without ever considering the victims. They did it for their self amusement. Sometimes they had a few but more often they were stone sober. Please quit using alcohol/drugs as an excuse for the conscious behavior of narcissistic selfish jerks.
True that, and we're not.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
;)

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So why can/do people buy alcohol at the bar for lunch ?

I'll wait till done skiing.​

There are many who ski with a flask ... they don't even wait for lunch; some do manage it responsibly though.

Not necessarily. Credit cards work at a bar.

Again ... the flask allows the poor man to drink as much as the rich man.

It may be better for Copper if they don't prove he was drunk. If he was drunk then Copper will get blamed for overserving him. It may be better if he is just thought to be a reckless idiot. The guy also has a Redbull helmet on. I wonder if he is affiliated with them. If so, oops!
If Copper did serve him enough that he was stupid drunk and then allowed him to participate in the pond skim, they deserve to be held liable. I have been a teacher for 30 years, but bartended to put myself through university. We were responsible by law for drunk driving accidents - and that was in the 1980's.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
This reminds me of watching a couple of guys, still in their ski boots and gear, staggering around during the "Dazed and Defrosted" party at Killington this weekend. True, it was difficult to walk gracefully in ski boots and lumpy soft snow, but these folks were not sober. Would they be skiing behind me after lunch? Fortunately there was no pond skimming to tempt them.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Meh, some people can handle more than .05% or even ,15% BAC driving just fine and some people can handle a few texts while operating a motor vehicle just fine.

Some can't though and that's why we can't have nice things..

Still, this is quite impressive!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well this is a little interesting.... I often watch the Vail Daily's "On The Hill" video... and was just checking out the one from Vail's final day, when they did their pond skim. And who do they briefly interview, but this guy :

upload_2018-4-22_22-16-57.png

He is dressed as Lindsey Vonn... and ironically mentions having to stop quickly when he finished to avoid hitting the crowd. (They show his skim in the video.)

Here's the page with the video : https://www.vaildaily.com/news/on-the-hill/video-vail-closing-day-2018/

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-22_22-16-14.png
    upload_2018-4-22_22-16-14.png
    593 KB · Views: 3

Sponsor

Staff online