• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tramline would be a good central location for a mini gathering. Would have to be spur of the moment because the snow is fickle.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I can take you a line with in view crossover at Stowe that tons of people ski and has mandtory 8 foot airs...WTF is spruce cliffs?

My list east USA only, marked trails only that I have actually skied

1. DJ tram's Line, Cannon
2. Kinmen Glade, Cannon
3. Liftline, Smuggs
4. Paradise, MRG
5. Goat, Stowe, Goat woods are the easier way down at least the section people actually ski.
6. The slides, Whiteface
7. Lookout, Stowe
8. Starr, Stowe

Pretty good list... I've only skied Paradise, Goat, and Starr... I've skied Lookout many times but from the S-53 entrance which is cheating. I used to ski Cannon regularly (I had a pass there before I become a Stowe fan boy); Tramline is another "almost never open" route.

For some reason I've never been on Lookout.

Lookout is only open from the top when the double isn't running and it usually is spinning on the weekends. It looks like an Upper Goat clone -- stupid double fall line with rocks in your way. Erik tried to get me to ski it one time from the top, but -- oh darn -- patrol had it roped off. :(:cool::D

I'll drop in one some powder day sometime... Maybe. ;)

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Someone mentioned DJ's Tramline at Cannon Mountain in NH. Here are two images for comparison purposes. One shows it when there's new snow and the other is when there's not. The pucker factor depends not so much on the steepness as on the exposed obstacles and the condition of the snow. Cartwheeling down in either condition is a no-go, but one might hit less granite along the way when there's fresh powder

Are those your picture LF? i.e., have you skied it?

I've only seen it from the tram... it usually looked like it should only be skied with skis that you're not particularly fond of.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For anyone (like me) curious about how the slope of DJs Tramline compares, here's the profile of the first ~1100 vertical. It mellows out a bit after that... mx 48 degrees, average 31.

upload_2019-10-21_16-51-50.png

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Are those your picture LF? i.e., have you skied it?

I've only seen it from the tram... it usually looked like it should only be skied with skis that you're not particularly fond of.

Not my pictures. I did ski it, once, but did not stop to take pics. Or rather, I got down it once. And yes, I was worried about ruining my skis.

The exposed boulders were much more evident that day than they are in that second picture I posted upthread, and the bumps were noisy (!!). There were several only-one-option-luge-lines to be negotiated. It did feel steep in several sections. I made it down, but not with the aplumb I'd like to have had at those luge lines. I need to ski it again sometime soon to see if I can maintain more dignity the whole way down -- before I get too old and smart.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've skied it but not well. It's not too bad but with all the rocks there are a few spots that require either skill or something else. If there were a couple turns it wouldn't look so daunting. It's only open when conditions are good so it's not like people are breaking limbs on a daily basis.

A couple years ago after skiing Kinsman twice in a row beer o'clock came early so I decided to save Tramline for another day. In other words i wussed out.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I'm not willing to ski DJ's alone. So when to ski it depends when it's open (rarely), what the conditions are (how bumped up it is, how the exposed boulders look on the ride up the tram), whether there's someone else willing and eager to go (a rare find), time of day (not too late), how new the skis are (no new skis this year), and courage of the moment (unpredictable).

I may not get to do it again, but I do have a Cannon season pass this upcoming season.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
I forgot - he didn’t start ahead of me. Still terrifying.
I saw you 100 ft ahead, parked sideways at a choke point. After failing to control or slow my downhill progress, actually picking up speed, you are now 50 ft ahead, I thought I was going to hit you around knee high and break both of your legs. I'm still not sure how I missed you. It was a close call.

Seve

Live Free or Die Baby
Skier
What's worse, skiing that or when the T-bar was still running riding that up? I recall riding that up, I felt like I was being pulled straight up a wall. The worst part was, the sun was directly in front of me so I had no vision at all.

I may be the only person ever to have skied that T-Bar line backwards, but not intentionally.
It was back around 1973( I was 12) when my Dad and I were riding up the old Pico T-Bar, and at it's steepest point we watched in horror as the rope attaching the T to the lift cable started unraveling before our eyes. My Dad said something along the lines of "brace for impact" just as the line snapped and we both careened backwards down the lift line. Fortunately, we both were immediately able bail out sideways into the slope, and luckily there was nobody for at least 3 T's behind us so that was fortunate.
I've skied all of the runs in New England mentioned here as well as Corbet's and others out west, but for me, this was the #1 scariest thing ever on skis.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Go ski Purgatory during Christmas week if you want to experience the most intense ski slope in the US. You will almost die and almost kill at least 15 Texans every run. No where else compares.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I find that the chute gets more terrifying when your partner ahead of you ragdolls most of it. @Gary Stolt

I forgot - he didn’t start ahead of me. Still terrifying.

I saw you 100 ft ahead, parked sideways at a choke point. After failing to control or slow my downhill progress, actually picking up speed, you are now 50 ft ahead, I thought I was going to hit you around knee high and break both of your legs. I'm still not sure how I missed you. It was a close call.

Even before Gary's response here I had this episode of "The Three Amigos" all scoped out in my mind's eye:

John: "Gary, you moron, are you trying to kill us!?"
Scott: "Gary, holy crap, are you okay!?"
Gary: "Well if you two jamokes had had enough brains not to camp out in the worst possible spot in the middle of the trail, none of this would have been a problem, now would it?"

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
How is there mandatory air on a t-bar line?
We are mixing the two extreme T-Bars that were in service at Pico. The original Pico T-Bar went to the summit of Little Pico. Visible from Rt 4 this lift was used from 1940 until replaced by a triple chair in 1980. The summit T-bar was used from 1978 until 1998. Evergreens are making the trail smaller and smaller. A metal cable was left on the run creating a steel impregnated ice surface that is impossible to edge on unless you are one of the first post storm. This old lifeline is closed terrain and you will lose you pass if they need to get you out. Tread carefully if you are seeking to check this one off your list. Jump turns over the steel can work on some days.

Last edited:

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
First Notch always grips me at ABasin, as do some of the Steep Gullies. I’ve never done it but Second Notch is even more puckering (requires a down climb with fixed rope).

Attachments

• AF88E9E8-3ED8-4AA4-B67D-D2F1559541B1.jpeg
    AF88E9E8-3ED8-4AA4-B67D-D2F1559541B1.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 73

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve never done it but Second Notch is even more puckering (requires a down climb with fixed rope).

You've never done it but you suckered a buddy into trying it while you took pictures? Nice! :beercheer:

Sponsor

Staff online