• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A list about as accurate and useful as most ski magazines gear reviews.

These lists are always debatable, as everybody's definition of "intense" is different..

As is every "list" produced, but its good conversation starter. :D

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Stupid magazine tricks.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Picture in your mind a very large bowl above timberline
Picture in your mind about 18-20" of fresh snow
Picture in your mind it was blowing 20-30 for 2 days perpendicular to the bowl rim
Picture in your mind it's mid season, with very good base depths
Picture in your mind the wind created a large cornice that hangs over the very steep rim
Picture in your mind it's mid day and many of the easy tracks have been taken, and the best snow now lies in front of the cornice
Picture in your mind your friend and ski buddy shuffle walking out onto the cornice, and watching him disappear before he gets to the edge, like a trap door opened beneath him.

Now follow him and do it yourself.

That was pretty intense.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't know the areas mentioned however its just the same as in BC/Alberta.
For every run mentioned as being the most difficult on a hill, most of us can name many others on any hill as being tougher.
There are always steeper pitches a little off the beaten path.

If you want comparisons restrict it to lines are under the chair. At least most people can see them but the degree of difficulty usually changes daily.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
3A132CB0-A9FC-499F-82E2-5184DA2A59D4.jpeg

The old T bar line @ Pico. Technically not a trail. Has an old cable in the middle & an obligatory 20’ huck 3/4 of the way down.

Actually triggered a small slide moments after this picture was taken-it was like Indiana Jones.

9146B87C-261D-4BE3-AF05-5D71BE0F35A5.jpeg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A corollary question to think about, what is the most intense thing you've skied? Of course, the answer is different if you scale the intensity by your skills at that point in history.
For me, the scaled answer is either the first time I skied Tower 3 Chute at Jackson Hole or my first run down Paradise at Mad River. I stood there by the entrance gap in the T3 fence for a looong time. And I stood at the top of the Paradise waterfall a looong time, too. (It was not filled in that year, and the landing zone was full of bomb craters from earlier skiers who managed it badly.)
As for the absolute answer, I'm not sure. It's an interesting exercise to scan back over my memories and try to decide.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I think these lists usually involve iconic lines that a lot of people would have have heard of. Of course there is always some type of line that is going to be more difficult than anything that make these lists. There is stuff harder than Corbet's at Jackson, but that's the real iconic run so it is listed. Same with Rambo at Crested Butte and Pipeline at Snowbird.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A corollary question to think about, what is the most intense thing you've skied? Of course, the answer is different if you scale the intensity by your skills at that point in history.
For me, the scaled answer is either the first time I skied Tower 3 Chute at Jackson Hole or my first run down Paradise at Mad River. I stood there by the entrance gap in the T3 fence for a looong time. And I stood at the top of the Paradise waterfall a looong time, too. (It was not filled in that year, and the landing zone was full of bomb craters from earlier skiers who managed it badly.)
As for the absolute answer, I'm not sure. It's an interesting exercise to scan back over my memories and try to decide.

Being an intermediate skier, I think for me it was Walkyrie Glade last season at Taos... given that I was/am new to trees, that one scared me a bit... really had me back on my heels, which of course doesn't actually help. :doh: But the snow was good, so it wasn't like it was icy moguls or anything. Other than that, I think Cornice and Scotty's at Mammoth were it... as a lower level intermediate at the time, they were dauntingly steep, and a bit moguled up.

Last edited:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For me, the scaled answer is either the first time I skied Tower 3 Chute at Jackson Hole or my first run down Paradise at Mad River.

We did a pretty good job of dithering around at the top of First Notch last spring. Glad no one was filming.

But yeah, I've had more butterflies than that plenty of times. In general this happens when about to commit to steep tight trees. (I love skiing trees, but I also know my boundaries.) Open slopes are usually easier for me to deal with, even if they're steeper and narrow. Counter-intuitively, someone ahead of me bobbling a move often relaxes me; "I can do better than that."

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We did a pretty good job of dithering around at the top of First Notch last spring. Glad no one was filming.
I was very unhappy with myself after that. There was no reason for me to hack that badly. Hope I get a chance to do it again and do it right.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What about your trip down the Big C at Big Sky last winter?

Personally, I think the top of Golden Eagle (Beaver Creek) immediately after the World Cup when the pressure injected surface is still there is pretty gripping! (Well maybe not)
My son and I were up there a few years back on a day when it was very firm and slick. You did not want to lose and edge! But of course, when the surface is friendly it's just another steep groomer.

I've seen White Nitro at Sugarloaf in highly contrasting slick and friendly conditions too.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nope, it was pretty terrifying before I started but not once I was going. (@Unpiste can testify to my pre-drop-in babbling.)

Having the right partner can make a big difference.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I find that the chute gets more terrifying when your partner ahead of you ragdolls most of it. @Gary Stolt

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I forgot - he didn’t start ahead of me. Still terrifying.

Sponsor