• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
First Notch always grips me at ABasin, as do some of the Steep Gullies. I’ve never done it but Second Notch is even more puckering (requires a down climb with fixed rope).

That looks like fun actually. :cool:

Reactions: Ogg

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Bodybag Glades or Dead Man’s Chute at CB have to be in the discussion...
Much of the North Face is crazier than anything I’ve seen inbounds.

NickD

Putting on skis
Skier
I'd put a lot of things at Big Sky on this list over what the authors picked. The Headwaters, particularly Three Forks.... The stuff below the North Summit Snow Field (Rips, Tears, etc)... Even the Big C with its exposure and angles are pretty intense and unlike much else in bounds in the US.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
White Nitro at Sugarloaf goes by so fast you sort of forget how steep it is. My wife slid a couple hundred feet on her back on upper winters way and everyone above was scared to ski down to check on her (she was ok) Some of the trees between the upper trails are where it really feels steep

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Rumble off Castlerock chair at Sugarbush. somewhat intense, super immersive.

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Exiled from VT, trying to ski off the Capitol Dome
Suppose it all matters on the situation. The most "intense" run I've ever taken was Lookout at Stowe. The Lookout Double was running because Four Runner was on wind hold. Every chair was filled. I popped around the snow fence at the top and, on cue, the double slowly stopped for some reason. I stood at the top of the run and looked down at the thinly covered gnarl ahead of me. The Lookout Double chairs are damn low and the people riding it were just above my head. Every eyeball felt like it was on me because, of course, I was the only guy on the trail at the time. A bearded dude looked over and made eye contact.

"You just gonna stand there? C'mon man, send it!"

He started banging his poles together and I swear half the lift joined in. What else could I do?

I went full send. I skied with grace, with power, I soared with the eagles!

Over the cliff.

Anybody remember the Agony of Defeat ski crash from Wide World of Sports? Amateur. I still don't know which ended up more injured, my knees or my ego. The intensity brought by an audience is unmistakable. At least when I rip Goat or Paradise, there's usually no one around to hear me scream.

All I can say is a deadly fall or avalanche delivers but a single, honorable end. The humiliation of the overconfident send brings with it a thousand deaths with every trip to the bar...

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The humiliation of the overconfident send brings with it a thousand deaths with every trip to the bar...
:roflmao:This might qualify as one of the 10 best lines of 2021!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Rumble off Castlerock chair at Sugarbush. somewhat intense, super immersive.
Well if immersive counts then all kinds of stuff is in. Including most of Saddleback. Which by any objective measure is lovely terrain but not crazy steep or crazy anything else.

James

Out There
Instructor
First Notch always grips me at ABasin, as do some of the Steep Gullies. I’ve never done it but Second Notch is even more puckering (requires a down climb with fixed rope).
I thought we did 2nd Notch once with Bob Barnes some years ago. Would’ve been May. Don’t remember the rope though.
F7BA6A59-1585-4941-BBC8-2358DA47947C.jpeg

Is it possible it fills in some?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought we did 2nd Notch once with Bob Barnes some years ago. Would’ve been May. Don’t remember the rope though.
View attachment 150668
Is it possible it fills in some?
@mdf , @MaryG , and I did 1st Notch a few years back. May. It was a little "shrine circus"-y at times. Eventually we made it, and felt a satisfying sense of accomplishment but not mastery. The entrance was awkward. Not THAT awkward, though. ^^^

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@mdf , @MaryG , and I did 1st Notch a few years back. May. It was a little "shrine circus"-y at times. Eventually we made it, and felt a satisfying sense of accomplishment but not mastery. The entrance was awkward. Not THAT awkward, though. ^^^
I was profoundly unhappy with how I skied 1st Notch. (Being freaked out by the approach didn't put me in a mental state to ski well. The ridge was a series of semi-icy mounds you couldn't see beyond with drop offs on both sides. No problem physically, but mentally.... not so good.) I'd like a repeat so I can do better.

nhskier69

Booting up
Skier
Honestly to me that looks like a Nightmare!
Skied it several times. Its good but rarely open. Whats funny is when you look up at the trail all you see are exposed rocks. Those rocks are the size of vehicles. Super technical trail can open put maybe 5-6 turns together at a time.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied it several times. Its good but rarely open. Whats funny is when you look up at the trail all you see are exposed rocks. Those rocks are the size of vehicles. Super technical trail can open put maybe 5-6 turns together at a time.
I have yet to see a pic of that trail that makes me want to ski it. I get the appeal of technical challenge, but I want the reward of having at least part of the run be great turns.

Sponsor