• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Little Cottonwood Canyon 2018-2019, Reports, Pics, and Banter

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Storm day at Snowbird on 4/11/19. They are reporting 34" in last 48 hrs. It was cool, breezy and snowy for my time up there between 11-4PM. Visibility ranged from ok to poor, but I had some fun runs. Here are a few pictures from the day.
One of the more fun runs for me was late in the day down Barry Barry Steep, it's just to the looker's left of the pine tree in center:
barry barry steep from chair.jpg
I saw a fat porcupine in a tree on the way there along Cirque Traverse:
DSCN2018.JPG

A friendly off duty instructor named Dave showed me the way down Barry Barry.
barry barry steep.jpg
There is enough snow in Great Scott for this guy to lose his ski. I helped him look and after 5 minutes he found it 35' above where he stopped.
lost ski on great scott.jpg There was deep snow all the way down lower Peruvian Gulch side of the mtn.
lower snowbird.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Friday at the Bird was really good. No photos right now. Good snow and mostly sunny from about 10AM to 1230PM. I left at 1PM.

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
Is the new snow in Utah this time of year dry or similar to California in winter? I noticed Utah has a history of snow in April. I'm contemplating an annual Easter trip as my daughter has that week off as spring break.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is the new snow in Utah this time of year dry or similar to California in winter? I noticed Utah has a history of snow in April. I'm contemplating an annual Easter trip as my daughter has that week off as spring break.
I can’t speak to average, but this last storms snow was mostly “medium weight”, not champagne powder, not cement.
Friday morning for the first two hours was more light and dry. My 8 year old commented she was sinking much further in it than she was on Wednesday and Thursday ;-)

If you want to know exactly, the Utah Avalanche Center will almost always mention the water content in their weather report.

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Except in Mineral basin, nasty mashed potatoes lower down, and 5” powder over ice crust higher up.

That place is like a gigantic solar oven....it catches all the sun and gets so warm. I have often thought they need Adirondack chairs and a margarita stand down there....

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
I can’t speak to average, but this last storms snow was mostly “medium weight”, not champagne powder, not cement.
Friday morning for the first two hours was more light and dry. My 8 year old commented she was sinking much further in it than she was on Wednesday and Thursday ;-)

If you want to know exactly, the Utah Avalanche Center will almost always mention the water content in their weather report.

I need to look through Tony Crocker's detailed historical data. He has an excel spreadsheet. The other alternative is Banff.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Will Snowbird still be open on May 16 (a Thursday)? Asking for a friend.

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier
Welp.. Last regular weekend at Alta. I'll be taking the kids on Sunday for the easter egg hunt. I got tomorrow off, gonna hit it hard in the morning before it gets warm. I am sad, but super thankful for such a wonderful season. Every time out I am reminded how absurdly lucky I am to be able to enjoy this sport. Gonna see if I can hit 650k vertical for the season tomorrow :)

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Friday at the Bird was really good. No photos right now. Good snow and mostly sunny from about 10AM to 1230PM. I left at 1PM.

Except in Mineral basin, nasty mashed potatoes lower down, and 5” powder over ice crust higher up.

I am trying to convert from digital camera to smart phone for taking my ski photos. Dinosaur that I am, I haven't quite got a handle on quick processing for smart phone. I finally located these photos from Mineral Basin on Friday, Apr 12, 2019.

Got off Little Cloud chair and 45 secs later they dropped the rope for Mineral Basin, there was about a foot of new snow and competition wasn't quite as crazy as earlier in the season.

snowbird mineral basin rope drop apr 12.jpg

These are a few random strangers that blew by me on the hill:
snowbird again apr 12.jpg snowbird apr 12.jpg snowbird lady apr 12.jpg

A lot of it was bliss, but like Slim said a few areas had very rough, hard stuff underneath that almost felt like frozen avi debris, but I think it was just refrozen sun baked snow covered with pow. Halfway down it caused me to splatter and slide down the hill like a turtle on its back.

Another subject: Apr 17 was the most sunny day in a long time in LCC. I spent a Wasatch benefit day for my first visit of the season to Alta. Really gorgeous day.
alta bill.jpg andrew alta three.jpg high rustler.jpg mt timpanogos alta.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid