• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Little Cottonwood Canyon 2018-2019, Reports, Pics, and Banter

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^^^ :eek:

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
upload_2019-5-19_15-14-44.png
Snowbird's Peruvian side today at 11:00 today. Much smaller crowd today. No lift lines!

Powder Paradise and Road to Provo are still closed today. The little bit of new snow overnight filled in yesterday's tracks due to strong winds (last night and today) and left an odd surface of hard and soft. So, I quickly moved back to the groomed runs.

The groomers were nice packed powder at the top, a little scrapped off in the middle and bottom was changing back to soft corn like stuff.

Skier numbers were very manageable, no lines, but slopes on Peruvian side were a bit crowded initially. I felt like the only skier in Mineral Basin and Little Cloud. Quit just before noon and there seemed to be a bunch more people coming up the canyon.

Now we must wait until Friday for another day at the Bird!
I hear the snow conditions are going to be horrible on Friday, so all you Locals and Ikoneers please go to work on Friday! If conditions change I promise to let you know.;)

upload_2019-5-19_15-21-5.png

This report is due to a request by @Jim Kenney that I occasionally make a report after he travels back to the real world. The pic is one I took of Jim on May 9th. Seems only fair that we should get to see Jim skiing too.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I interrupt this snow storm for a shot of friends and family from the West Coast, north of Malibu, CA today.
ca el matador beach .jpg

Ski on my friends in UT!

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier
I was at Snowbird on Saturday, I climbed up the mountain to be in that crazy line. Conditions for the middle of May were incredible. I couldn't believe it. I wish I had gone Sunday, but Regulator kind of sapped my will on my run down to the car (steep, low vis, tons of wet powder, and me fumbling around like an idiot).

Still nice to get day #61 so late in the season.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Above pics are a mixture of the weekend, from Friday to Sunday.

Stayed at the Cliff Friday, Snowbird Ski Patrol put on the Baldy Bash fundraiser at the Tram Club Friday night. Like last year it brought the snow. Mike stayed up there with me and we got up early met Travis and son and joined the line at about 7:15. There were only about 15-20 people in line at that point. The line didn’t grow much till it got close to 8.

Pic taken at 7:57

39F772D3-08B1-4CCC-A97E-170654A380A7.jpeg

Pic taken at 8:10
5B4D0E86-FB02-4A8C-AF4C-2072768CBE6A.jpeg

Pic taken at 8:30

BE13D402-2527-4339-983B-99E93982152F.jpeg

Pic at 8:37

D183DB49-1766-468A-B998-677D26853E47.jpeg

Second lap like mentioned line was still there. Bout 5-7 minutes hiking from the plaza to the top of the line and then an exact 20 minutes to sideslide back down the hill we’d just hiked up.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Above pics are a mixture of the weekend, from Friday to Sunday.

Stayed at the Cliff Friday, Snowbird Ski Patrol put on the Baldy Bash fundraiser at the Tram Club Friday night. Like last year it brought the snow. Mike stayed up there with me and we got up early met Travis and son and joined the line at about 7:15. There were only about 15-20 people in line at that point. The line didn’t grow much till it got close to 8.

Pic taken at 7:57

View attachment 74376

Pic taken at 8:10
View attachment 74378

Pic taken at 8:30

View attachment 74383

Pic at 8:37

View attachment 74377

Second lap like mentioned line was still there. Bout 5-7 minutes hiking from the plaza to the top of the line and then an exact 20 minutes to sideslide back down the hill we’d just hiked up.
That’s me in red in the middle of your 757 pic.

A81ED67D-15BB-480B-A402-CF4C94C7EA8F.jpeg

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier
Heh, I'm going back this weekend. The tram is going to be open, and they're getting even MORE snow. It looks like I'm going to unlock an achievement by skiing on memorial day, this is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I'll probably have to go again the following weekend so I can say I skied in June. Absurd winter!

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hear the lift lines were outrageous again today- sure would of beat sitting in the office tho

Snowbird 08:49 5/24/2019
upload_2019-5-24_16-52-54.png

I could sum up Snowbird with one word today. “Meh” Took 1.5 hours to get 2 runs down Peruvian.

Snow was nice, but heavy. I think just about any ski width would have adequate flotation today. Powder in Peruvian was pretty much skied out before I got to the top for my first run. Initial visibility was poor due to snowing at top and flat light. Crowd is much bigger than last Friday, I was not there last Saturday, but I would guess a similar sized crowd today. I liked last Friday’s snow better too. Could just be me, but I can do without the crowds.

I did not stick around for opening of Mineral or Little Cloud at 11am & 11:30am, respectively. I do not think Powder Paradise or Road to Provo opened today, so neither has been open for about 10 days. I look forward to sunshine and harvesting some corn.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems like they should have reopended Gadzoo m. They used to keep more lifts open later, but not this late.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Snowbird 08:49 5/24/2019
View attachment 74596

I could sum up Snowbird with one word today. “Meh” Took 1.5 hours to get 2 runs down Peruvian.

Snow was nice, but heavy. I think just about any ski width would have adequate flotation today. Powder in Peruvian was pretty much skied out before I got to the top for my first run. Initial visibility was poor due to snowing at top and flat light. Crowd is much bigger than last Friday, I was not there last Saturday, but I would guess a similar sized crowd today. I liked last Friday’s snow better too. Could just be me, but I can do without the crowds.

I did not stick around for opening of Mineral or Little Cloud at 11am & 11:30am, respectively. I do not think Powder Paradise or Road to Provo opened today, so neither has been open for about 10 days. I look forward to sunshine and harvesting some corn.

I was there. I had a great day but it did require patience. I try to keep my gratitude higher than my expectations but it was easy Friday.

Arrived just before 8am and waited in the crazy line at Peruvian until the chair opened at around 9:30. My line neighbors were a fun group so it wasn't terrible.

The first run down Peruvian was good. Mostly untracked where I skied. The line was still long when I got to the bottom but it moved pretty quickly.

Back on top a line was starting to form at the tunnel entrance. I decided to wait as Peruvian was looking pretty beat up. The wait was about an hour. Again, a good group at the front of the line so time went fast. We hustled through the tunnel and I never crossed a track in Mineral Basin. Really fun skiing! I was one of the first chairs loaded out of Mineral and went straight to Little Cloud.

The snow was lighter/ better on Little Cloud than Mineral or Peruvian. Visability was low and you were in the white room until about 3/4 the way down Regulator but with a foot+ of totally untracked snow, it skied great! Got several REALLY good runs with lots of untracked turns on Little Cloud. Later, once the snow got skied the low vis was work as you had to keep your guard up (random holes were people had fallen and deep traverse lines, etc.). Lower, where you could see enough to let em run, the crud was fun.

It would have been good in February but the end if May? It was great. Took this photo on my 4th or 5th ride up Little Cloud. (A little before noon)

20190524_112447.jpg

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I try to keep my gratitude higher than my expectations but it was easy Friday.

View attachment 74666

That is the only way to look at it when skiing 12” of untracked this late in the season.
I rented snowshoes and packed my boots and skis on my back at Alta today. The line next door doesn’t seem so bad now since I parked at 8600’ and walked up to 10k’ (first slow signs on Devils Elbow) before taking the best 7 minute run of the season.
How long have you had the Pescados? I have the same ski mounted with pivots.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January