• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Little Cottonwood Canyon 2018-2019, Reports, Pics, and Banter

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
We definitely thought about it, but the nature of the event we are attending and how everything was booked means that we already have tickets for Snowbird for every day we are there.

I appreciate the responses from you guys, it has helped! My wife is understandably more worried about being able to ski there than I am and giving her a list of places that she can ski definitely eases her stress level.

Possibly the most mellow terrain at Snowbird (aside from beginner lifts of Baby Thunder and Chickadee) are the runs off the Baldy Chair in Mineral Basin, provided there is decent visibility. A plus for this chair is that it often has small lift lines even on pretty days and is easy for an intermediate to lap for several hours of skiing bliss. The view from this lift isn't too shabby: Feb 23, 2019.
DSCN7828.jpg.155b3554f1fe4d8d2e87dc7cbddc72a6.jpg

PS: theoretically you could easily get to the Baldy chair skiing exclusively mellow terrain by riding the tram or Peruvian Chair & tunnel to get to Mineral Basin, skiing the Baldy Chair for a while, then leaving via the Mineral Basin chair, up to the summit tram station and downloading on the tram back to the base of the front side of the mtn.

Last edited:

Rowdy Bonkers

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Going to Alta/Snowbird from 4/6-4/8 and cannot wait. Bummed they shut the shuttle bus down that Saturday. Thinking I do Alta Saturday, Snowbird Sunday and go back to Alta for a Monday day at Alta. Does this sound like a good plan?

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you have an Ikon pass you can hit both on the same day. Alta and Snowbird are both tops, so it just depends on which one you like more.

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
[QUOTE="Thinking I do Alta Saturday, Snowbird Sunday and go back to Alta for a Monday day at Alta. Does this sound like a good plan?[/QUOTE]

Better to make the 3rd day decision after you ski them. At SB take about 5 different runs down Little Cloud Bowl and at least 3 down Path to Paradise in MinBasin.(right time of day though) Find someone to take you down the Middle Cirque (easiest way down under the tram). There is so much to ski at SB you need 2 days to get into it. Alta is good for sure, but you are going to find the sun and temp is going to affect it a lot more than SB this time of year, unless it's storming and you still have a good chance of that. What I don't like about Alta is that you often end up at the same place after the pitch.

Rowdy Bonkers

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks for the replies, good to know about the temp difference factor!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbird 3/18/19: I think this is my 13th day at Snowbird over the last 17 days. 4th straight day of brilliant sunshine. The snow is getting somewhat sun-affected, but I'm enjoying the great visibility and low crowds. Today I skied Dalton's Draw underneath the lower section of the Tram for the first time this winter. It's kind of hard to get to, a long slog to the end of the Cirque Traverse, and even then I missed the upper entry.
Dalton's Draw seems to get only light traffic:
Looking up, I think that is the second tram tower:
DSCN1863.jpg
Looking down Dalton's Draw:
DSCN1866.jpg

Around 1:45 PM I found out they had opened Ski Patrol Gully in Mineral Basin for the first time in a few days. It was full of what I could only call "virgin corn", really fun stuff sort of like 3" of slush on top of 2 feet of cotton candy, but it skied really fun, the most fun all day.

DSCN1880.jpg
DSCN1867.jpg
DSCN1870.jpg
I wore my PugSki vest today and responded to lengthy enquiries about the site from two lift riders.

Ski Patrol Gully is to right beneath the big brown cliff:
DSCN1875.jpg

Last edited:

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Still looks great out there Jim. Wish I was still there, but not sure my legs could take it if i was.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbird 3/19/19. I took a Mountain Tour today and really liked it. It was led by Snowbird Hosts Adam and Lee. I Learned about Ted and Wilma Johnson and lots of other history and geology of the area. Rode every major lift except the tram and Little Cloud, took two hours, we moved around the mtn quickly, and we followed the sun and good snow very nicely.
DSCN1884.jpg
While on the summit I noticed people were skiing Pipeline. I failed to get a good shot, but here is one blurry image of a guy about a third of the way down Pipeline, he's in upper part of frame:
DSCN1890.jpg

He's out of the frame in this shot:
DSCN1889.JPG

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've never been to Snowbird before and the wife and I will be there the first week of April . I am comfortable skiing pretty much anything and my wife is somewhere around an advanced intermediate "a 6 with the confidence of a 2" is how she describes herself this year. She would prefer mostly groomer laps with some experiments into off piste as long as getting back to the groomed isn't too far off.
...and she was planning on her Nordica Santa Ana 93s, we do have space for her Icelantic Maiden 111s if there is a chance for deeper snow. Opinions?
If it sounds like she has less confidence in ungroomed snow,then bringing the wider skis seems like a good idea. Also in case there is a wave of hot weather and associated slush.

Chance for deeper snow you ask?
Here is a quote from bestsnow.net:
“ Alta and Snowbird receive the most snow in North America in March and April. In the spring Snowbird can have the advantage over Alta with higher peak elevation and north facing runs in the Peruvian Cirque and Little Cloud areas. In April Snowbird rivals Mammoth as the most diverse area to remain in full operation for the entire month”

And Snowbird has moderate stuff too. We skied on a near zero visibility day, so when we did a tram lap, we followed blue groomers all the way down(except for short cut-off and side pitches of steep and more technical terrain, by choice)

Last edited:

Joshuawjc

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi there, Tahoe skier here, about to interlope in LCC for the first time (and just second time in Utah period). Really looking forward to a drive that is not 80, a tram that is not the Funitel, and snow that is not cement. We get in this Friday evening and ski Saturday-Tuesday. We will behave ourselves I promise!

I wanted to get a bit of advice on lifts / terrain, but I’m not totally blegging — I’ve read all these Utah threads and done a little Googling and these look like solid guides to both Alta and Snowbird — but please let me know if I’m way off.

https://www.snowpak.com/utah/salt-lake-city/snowbird/ski-and-terrain
https://www.canyonservices.com/ski-snowbirds-best-runs-snowbird-ski-guide
https://bestsnow.net/birdguid.htm

https://www.snowpak.com/utah/salt-lake-city/alta/ski-and-terrain
https://www.alta.com/blog/an-insiders-guide-to-alta-ski-area

And I see this guy has some great daily updates: http://www.gurudavepowers.com/

Any other advice on how to strategize?

The main thing is, we’d like a mid-mountain bar where you can just order champagne to spray over people and not even worry about the skiing. (I kid, I kid.)

Actually, we’re a group of advanced-but-not-quite expert skiers. On groomers, we love the steepest groomers we can find. On off-piste, looking for a variety that’s not too nuts. We’re not huge tree or bump skiers, but like to sample both. We (well I, not sure about my wife or buddy) would like to challenge myself on some of the serious chutes and fall lines I’ve been reading about, so long as not too crazily bumped out (I realize that’s gotta be a game-time decision based on what folks have been skiing).

For Snowbird: It looks like Mineral Basin is a great place to warm up on some bowls and groomers, before venturing back to the front side?

For Alta: Start with the Collins lift and work our way out?

Weather this weekend looks like a chance of some snow, in which case I assume everything is awesome. If no snow, temps are forecast in that dangerous freeze-thaw zone of mid-to-high 30s, which I guess means treat things like a spring day: start with south/west facing slopes in the morning, and then work back to north/east facing ones in the afternoon?

Any other advice or links are most welcome! Gracias.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Weather this weekend looks like a chance of some snow, in which case I assume everything is awesome. If no snow, temps are forecast in that dangerous freeze-thaw zone of mid-to-high 30s, which I guess means treat things like a spring day: start with south/west facing slopes in the morning, and then work back to north/east facing ones in the afternoon?

Any other advice or links are most welcome! Gracias.

You've got that backwards a bit, start with East facing and then move to West facing. You head down West facing Regulator first thing in the morning and you'll find yourself wanting sharper edges.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Any chance you're talking about Lee Bethers? If so, tell him Daniel from Solitude and the old Wasatch Telemark Series says "hi". Thanks!
I think we're talking about same guy. Lee was a telemarker and had a white-sandy mustache/beard.
Joshua, for Snowbird, if visibility is not good, then Gad 2 chair is a good place to hang out. Mineral is good when the sun is out, but can get crowded on weekends. Alta in general, is a little more friendly to intermediates than Snowbird. But both mtns have some high-end advanced terrain.
We are in between winter and spring right now so some of the steep groomers at Snowbird can be quite firm in AM.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Got there this morning and clicked in on the cat track off the bypass road. I stand there a minute waiting for Travis and Dylan, when a woman comes skiing by me with a tiny dog poking out of her coat. First time I’ve seen that, hopefully she skied into a stiff ticket.

Went up for last tram yesterday, conditions were pretty harsh, alternating between piles of heavy snow and scratchy patches, while no viz to tell the difference. Had a Nissan Rogue parked near me with the bar code sticker and California plates, obvious rental. Vehicle had at most 3/32nds of tread, it’s no wonder the canyons gum up on storms when rental companies send out vehicles with crappy tires. “Oh, but it’s four wheel drive!”

BFD7FF80-E4ED-4B72-BFEE-0D49DE16B64F.jpeg

DF1D39D9-D389-4DDE-9E8B-6164832B05FB.jpeg

Snowbird has pins for 50 and 100 days at ticket offices, when you think you are around there take your pass to a ticket office and they’ll look it up and give you the requisite pin.

A8868269-2E50-40E8-828B-E6B5BA6561B6.jpeg

(Not mine, Lee’s.)

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
For Snowbird: It looks like Mineral Basin is a great place to warm up on some bowls and groomers, before venturing back to the front side?
For Alta: Start with the Collins lift and work our way out?
At this time of year generally warming up wtih MB is not good strategy, because much of it gets the sun all day and is the last place you want to be first thing in the am.
I'm not sure what it is like out there right now, but you have to be careful with what the sun did to the snow. Luckily Bird mostly faces north, but that might mean it doesn't soften up too good. Alta, you have to be even more careful because some of the best faces are directly east or west.
Don't sweat it - stay on the groomers and take a few shorter pitches until you get the lay of the land.

Sponsor