• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How much skin or base layer shown in the lodge?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, reminds me, I was at the gym once, in the changeroom, and there was a guy beside me and apparently I wasn't supposed to be nude and he says "Can't you cover that up?! Not everyone wants to see it you know!!" Haha! Classic..

For a better view, sounds like he may be happier in the ladies' locker room.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Sorry...but this thread totally reminded me of a “story”. So this is a “tiny” thread drift. ;)

Last spring in Mammoth, we went out Benton Crossing Road to some of the hot springs out there. We were at Wild Willies...

Myself, wife and 2 teenage daughters were in water just sitting, talking, wading, etc....

Two families come up the boardwalk and down into the water (no big deal)....start talking with the one couple/their kids, etc....offering each other some wine, beers.

But here’s the kicker. As we’re sitting there, the one dad just takes it “all” off right there and is standing there for a bit fumbling with his shorts.....whatever.....but then I quickly looked over to see if my daughters saw....luckily, my wife was distracting them taking a picture of them facing the other way....lol...because it wasn’t a pretty sight. :eek:

Not that it really bothered me, I was just amazed a guy would totally take it all off and then stand there right in front of a family of strangers...teenage girls....especially with how he looked...oh well.

I guess that’s why they call that hot spring Wild Willies!! :beercheer:

Is it somehow misplaced to "protect the sensibilities" of our young girls, but our sons can handle the same situation?

I find this sexual bias sickening!

The gals can Handle it! I suggest reading the essays of Montaigne for further evidence!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Is it somehow misplaced to "protect the sensibilities" of our young girls, but our sons can handle the same situation?

I find this sexual bias sickening!

The gals can Handle it! I suggest reading the essays of Montaigne for further evidence!
In my experience the gals can often handle it better than the guys.:huh:

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just some honest questions because I simply don't know much about them,.....Is it officially stated and/or well mentioned that this is a normal practice at those springs sort of like it would be at say a nude beach? Is it marketed in that manor to visitors who might come from all over the states and therefore understand what they are possibly getting into? I couldnt find it as being marketed or noted that this is a common method when visiting them. Reason i ask is because imo there is a big difference if its only really word of mouth and nothing more. One way means you don't go if/when you know what you might expect to experience is not what you prefer. The other way means you wouldn't expect it nor imo should you. Or at least means (since its not generally our norm) it should be asked if your ok with it by any person/people wanting to be nude.

But on another note Im curious as to why being nude at such a place is anything so much more the better experience anyway? what is it about visiting/sitting in a hot springs nude vs with swimsuit on that is any better?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry...but this thread totally reminded me of a “story”. So this is a “tiny” thread drift. ;)

Last spring in Mammoth, we went out Benton Crossing Road to some of the hot springs out there. We were at Wild Willies...

Myself, wife and 2 teenage daughters were in water just sitting, talking, wading, etc....

Two families come up the boardwalk and down into the water (no big deal)....start talking with the one couple/their kids, etc....offering each other some wine, beers.

But here’s the kicker. As we’re sitting there, the one dad just takes it “all” off right there and is standing there for a bit fumbling with his shorts.....whatever.....but then I quickly looked over to see if my daughters saw....luckily, my wife was distracting them taking a picture of them facing the other way....lol...because it wasn’t a pretty sight. :eek:

Not that it really bothered me, I was just amazed a guy would totally take it all off and then stand there right in front of a family of strangers...teenage girls....especially with how he looked...oh well.

I guess that’s why they call that hot spring Wild Willies!! :beercheer:
A couple of things came to mind as I read your post.
  • In this situation, since the guy was visiting with you, about beer, wine, etc, the guy could have asked if you minded. That would be the polite thing to do.
  • But then, (..lol...because it wasn’t a pretty sight.) You can't unsee that!!
  • If your kids had caught a glimpse, I guess it would have been a learning moment, eh?
It sounds like you and your family handled it well and may be looking for smaller spring as @Pat AKA mustski says she does.
Unless that place is known for this being a norm, that kind of thing is far too much imo.
Many of the hot springs in that area are clothing optional.
Here's one image from the Yelp review
348s.jpg

But on another note Im curious as to why being nude at such a place is anything so much more the better experience anyway? what is it about visiting/sitting in a hot springs nude vs with swimsuit on that is any better?
I'm not sure I can explain it, but it just is.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Much of this thread has reminded me of other activities in my life, completely unrelated to skiing, where I was exposed to people stripping down to change with some discretion but essentially in plain sight. Motorcycle Enduro races, and Hare Scrambles for example.
It was no uncommon for the guys and gals who raced to change their clothes out in the open because they drove to the event in a pick up truck and the only enclosed space was a porta potty.
No one cared and no one made a big deal of it.
I wouldn't expect someone coming in from skiing to strip naked in the lodge, but base layers and sports bras are not indiscrete, IMHO

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Much of this thread has reminded me of other activities in my life, completely unrelated to skiing, where I was exposed to people stripping down to change with some discretion but essentially in plain sight. Motorcycle Enduro races, and Hare Scrambles for example.
It was no uncommon for the guys and gals who raced to change their clothes out in the open because they drove to the event in a pick up truck and the only enclosed space was a porta potty.
No one cared and no one made a big deal of it.
I wouldn't expect someone coming in from skiing to strip naked in the lodge, but base layers and sports bras are not indiscrete, IMHO
Yup..I've changed in the parking lot of various mountain bike venues..what can you do? Takes 10 seconds, I keep the junk out of sight as best as possible and all's well. I mean, in the big picture, don't we have bigger fish to fry???

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yup..I've changed in the parking lot of various mountain bike venues..what can you do? Takes 10 seconds, I keep the junk out of sight as best as possible and all's well. I mean, in the big picture, don't we have bigger fish to fry???
:thumb:
I mean, its different if someone is flaunting, or making rude gestures, but if discretion is used..... you get the idea.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple of things came to mind as I read your post.
  • In this situation, since the guy was visiting with you, about beer, wine, etc, the guy could have asked if you minded. That would be the polite thing to do.
  • But then, (..lol...because it wasn’t a pretty sight.) You can't unsee that!!
  • If your kids had caught a glimpse, I guess it would have been a learning moment, eh?
It sounds like you and your family handled it well and may be looking for smaller spring as @Pat AKA mustski says she does.

Many of the hot springs in that area are clothing optional.
Here's one image from the Yelp review
348s.jpg

I'm not sure I can explain it, but it just is.

Yes, totally agree with all of this..... We knew what we were getting ourselves into, and if we walked up to a “nude” spring we would of just walked away to find another one. No worries...no big deal.

The story I was attempting to share was....we walked up to a spring where there was a family with kids just leaving, said hi...and we hopped in. A few minutes later 2 more families walked up with their school age kids and they all hopped in with suits on. Thought nothing of it...said hi, offered each other beer and wine, whatever...talked about our day, etc.

My point was that the dad stood there for an odd amount of time in front of a group of kids and teenagers with his **** hanging out. He then put a suit on....like all the other 7-8 people on the spring.

Whatever. Different strokes for different folks. Mammoth was great. We will be back.

I just thought it was a funny story that fit the original thread....lol..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My point was that the dad stood there for an odd amount of time in front of a group of kids and teenagers with his **** hanging out. He then put a suit on....like all the other 7-8 people on the spring.
See, that's odd and, like you implied and I said....you can't unsee THAT!
He's probably just clueless and careless.

Reactions: BC.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What is the difference between women's bra & panties and a bikini? Between men's long underwear and base layers? Perception?

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
When you're hiking in to a hot springs its really nice to not have to hike out with the weight of a dirty wet swimsuit. Thats my 'reason' but honestly.... given the choice between wearing clothes and not I'm always going to choose the latter.

Also, its always better to be naked. It actually annoys me when I go to clothing optional hot springs at night and people wear their suits, because then I feel like the one in the wrong.

The naked body is a pretty normal thing, and in the right environment should be acceptable. Yeah, maybe kind of weird that the guy was standing there for a prolonged period of time in front of some teenagers but then if it was allowed at that time or in an acceptable environment and he wasn't doing anything overly provocative (it seems like he was just standing there so nbd?) then I wouldn't see that as too weird, but of course the context of the situation could have felt off if he was leering etc.

I mean, I was at some hot springs that are clothing optional once and got in a smallish pool with my husband, then two teenage boys got in after we got in and proceeded to stare at my breasts the entire time. It was definitely uncomfortable, but I'm assuming they were older than 18 or with parents who were ok with them being in that environment so... ok I guess? I just sunk down in the water a little bit so I wasn't as exposed. I've never felt weird when I was nude at a hot springs aside from this one time, its just the human body man.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
You guys ever been to Germany? Mineral baths? Everyone nude, everyone from little kids, to old grannys and granpas.
Wife insisted on wearing her bathing suit into the spa world we visited while skiing Bad Hofgastein. After a couple of minutes she was feeling very uncomfortable being the only one covering up. She quickly ditched the suit and embraced the European culture. Generally speaking the Europeans are thinner then their fatter American counterparts.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When you're hiking in to a hot springs its really nice to not have to hike out with the weight of a dirty wet swimsuit. Thats my 'reason' but honestly.... given the choice between wearing clothes and not I'm always going to choose the latter.

Also, its always better to be naked. It actually annoys me when I go to clothing optional hot springs at night and people wear their suits, because then I feel like the one in the wrong.

The naked body is a pretty normal thing, and in the right environment should be acceptable. Yeah, maybe kind of weird that the guy was standing there for a prolonged period of time in front of some teenagers but then if it was allowed at that time or in an acceptable environment and he wasn't doing anything overly provocative (it seems like he was just standing there so nbd?) then I wouldn't see that as too weird, but of course the context of the situation could have felt off if he was leering etc.

I mean, I was at some hot springs that are clothing optional once and got in a smallish pool with my husband, then two teenage boys got in after we got in and proceeded to stare at my breasts the entire time. It was definitely uncomfortable, but I'm assuming they were older than 18 or with parents who were ok with them being in that environment so... ok I guess? I just sunk down in the water a little bit so I wasn't as exposed. I've never felt weird when I was nude at a hot springs aside from this one time, its just the human body man.
I'm with you on this one.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, maybe kind of weird that the guy was standing there for a prolonged period of time in front of some teenagers but then if it was allowed at that time or in an acceptable environment and he wasn't doing anything overly provocative (it seems like he was just standing there so nbd?) then I wouldn't see that as too weird, but of course the context of the situation could have felt off if he was leering etc.
IMHO, like food falling on the floor, the "Five Second Rule", if someone is standing there for more than five seconds...it gets weird.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Just some honest questions because I simply don't know much about them,.....Is it officially stated and/or well mentioned that this is a normal practice at those springs sort of like it would be at say a nude beach? Is it marketed in that manor to visitors who might come from all over the states and therefore understand what they are possibly getting into? I couldnt find it as being marketed or noted that this is a common method when visiting them. Reason i ask is because imo there is a big difference if its only really word of mouth and nothing more. One way means you don't go if/when you know what you might expect to experience is not what you prefer. The other way means you wouldn't expect it nor imo should you. Or at least means (since its not generally our norm) it should be asked if your ok with it by any person/people wanting to be nude.

Skinny dipping. Try it; you'll like it. It just feels good.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Considering the images available in mere milliseconds to anyone with a smartphone, skinny dipping seems fairly tame, to say nothing of base layers and sports bras. I remember being in St Maarten on Christmas Day some years ago and encountering a very hairy Santa wearing nothing but his hat. After a brief chuckle, I ordered another margarita and life moved along.

Sponsor

Staff online