• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How much skin or base layer shown in the lodge?

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry...but this thread totally reminded me of a “story”. So this is a “tiny” thread drift. ;)

Last spring in Mammoth, we went out Benton Crossing Road to some of the hot springs out there. We were at Wild Willies...

Myself, wife and 2 teenage daughters were in water just sitting, talking, wading, etc....

Two families come up the boardwalk and down into the water (no big deal)....start talking with the one couple/their kids, etc....offering each other some wine, beers.

But here’s the kicker. As we’re sitting there, the one dad just takes it “all” off right there and is standing there for a bit fumbling with his shorts.....whatever.....but then I quickly looked over to see if my daughters saw....luckily, my wife was distracting them taking a picture of them facing the other way....lol...because it wasn’t a pretty sight. :eek:

Not that it really bothered me, I was just amazed a guy would totally take it all off and then stand there right in front of a family of strangers...teenage girls....especially with how he looked...oh well.

I guess that’s why they call that hot spring Wild Willies!! :beercheer:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This thread reminds me of the long-ago soccer days, when we might show up in the wrong color jersey and had to swap on the field. I was damn good at getting one on and the other off without showing any skin. Back then we didn't really have sports bras, though ... plus, it was "back then." Now the girls just change shirts. No big deal.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
My youngest daughter raced bikes for 10 years, you get kind of oblivious to that sort of thing after a while.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In this day and age, you should feel free to just go ahead and wear a puffy skirt. :cool:
The question is not so much me wearing one...but more so not wearing one.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sorry...but this thread totally reminded me of a “story”. So this is a “tiny” thread drift. ;)

Last spring in Mammoth, we went out Benton Crossing Road to some of the hot springs out there. We were at Wild Willies...

Myself, wife and 2 teenage daughters were in water just sitting, talking, wading, etc....

Two families come up the boardwalk and down into the water (no big deal)....start talking with the one couple/their kids, etc....offering each other some wine, beers.

But here’s the kicker. As we’re sitting there, the one dad just takes it “all” off right there and is standing there for a bit fumbling with his shorts.....whatever.....but then I quickly looked over to see if my daughters saw....luckily, my wife was distracting them taking a picture of them facing the other way....lol...because it wasn’t a pretty sight. :eek:

Not that it really bothered me, I was just amazed a guy would totally take it all off and then stand there right in front of a family of strangers...teenage girls....especially with how he looked...oh well.

Unless that place is known for this being a norm, that kind of thing is far too much imo.

Right, or wrong we simply don't live in a society culture where that kind of thing is a norm unless otherwise known, stated/noted and so we are not comfortable with it and that imo needs to be respected. I wouldn't want to see it and I certainly wouldn't want my teen daughters to either. Until our culture changes where as that becomes a norm and in our comfort zone (and I see no need for it to do so) then it should imo be respected that this is something we don't do. And I would hate for such a person to then ever say to you "well if you have a problem with it, its your problem". That imo is BS. In our society we don't do these things and that's the way it is. Changing quickly, discretely is one thing if/when necessary but simply walking over to you and your family and dropping everything off we just don't do and so Imo he was very wrong for doing that.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Goose , no offense but, IMO, you are the poster child for the uptight American. Not because this stuff bothers you(I get it) but the fact that you feel a need to write multiple paragraph responses expressing your opinion about how it bothers you. I find most your posts entertaining and even enlightening with a few wanting me to bang my head against the wall. I am 100% American mutt, roughly your age, but was, obviously, brought up with much different social mores. Now, to be fair, the incident in question was a bit bizarre and I have to wonder if it was a purposeful exhibitionist, trying to get attention thing on the guys part or if this was just normal to him.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Goose , no offense but, IMO, you are the poster child for the uptight American. Not because this stuff bothers you(I get it) but the fact that you feel a need to write multiple paragraph responses expressing your opinion about how it bothers you. I find most your posts entertaining and even enlightening with a few wanting me to bang my head against the wall. I am 100% American mutt, roughly your age, but was, obviously, brought up with much different social mores. Now, to be fair, the incident in question was a bit bizarre and I have to wonder if it was a purposeful exhibitionist, trying to get attention thing on the guys part or if this was just normal to him.
haha....well...ok. But is it the poster child for the "uptight" American or just the general amreican ways of social behavior? I will admit I am very old fashion in many ways. When I was young my family, relatives, people who knew me use to say I should have grown up in my parents era and honestly I sort of always felt I wish I did. except of course that means id be even much older.lol
But there were imo many certain moral values, etiquettes, and behaviors back then which I hold dear and high and unfortunately imo simply exist far too less nowadays. And I find a lot of it is not at all for the better but instead for the much worse.

So yea,....as for what the guy did? For me? Bizzare (as you call it) to say the least.

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
We should note that 50 years ago, male swim briefs (i.e., speedos) were fairly common, even in North America. Now, of course, male swim attire tends to baggy shorts, sometimes ending below the knee. Today, in North America, a man in briefs, either swimwear or underwear, may not be quite illegal, but may be regarded as creepy or perverted (and certainly unattractive) due to cultural changes. Few will care about the "base layer" showing, as long as the base layer is long underwear for men.

The attitude today is that men are basically ugly creatures, possibly dangerous, and should remain covered.

Female swimwear, on the other hand, has grown much smaller, so the rule about not exposing more than would be exposed at the beach would seem to give women a lot more latitude when changing in the lodge. Most, however, will be much more conservative in the lodge than on the beach.

TS
jack97

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
My daughter is well into college. I get a chuckle when parents who take their 4 to 6 year old up on the big chair to the summit mostly likely a promises made after spending a lot of time on the bunny slope. First time up, the kid will usually ask why is all that underwear on that tree?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You guys ever been to Germany? Mineral baths? Everyone nude, everyone from little kids, to old grannys and granpas.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm pretty sure many feel different social norms apply to natural hot springs here in the states too. I'm not sure why, but many think it's part of the experience to get in naked. I wish they didn't cause in most cases them doing so ruins the experience for me.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Societal norm really, right? I grew up in the hockey culture..I shower after every game..nasty communal showers. That's "normal" to me. But a lot of peeps who didn't grow up in that culture but who started later in life, don't shower after playing. Weirdest thing to me..hockey gitch stinks... In Iceland, we went to the hot tubs/pool in Reykjavik that the locals use and you MUST shower naked before going in..a guy literally watches to make sure everyone showers. The new thing here in Toronto for public pools is the showers are on the pool deck. I can't see how you're washing the most important part with your swim gear on...so that seems pointless to me. So we're kinda moving away from a more "nude friendly" culture. Actually, reminds me, I was at the gym once, in the changeroom, and there was a guy beside me and apparently I wasn't supposed to be nude and he says "Can't you cover that up?! Not everyone wants to see it you know!!" Haha! Classic..

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
You guys ever been to Germany? Mineral baths? Everyone nude, everyone from little kids, to old grannys and granpas.
well,....again,.... different etiquettes and social norms. And they probably are not cracking jokes nor making sarcastic, cute, funny, or even poor remarks about it either because of the fact that its a norm and something that they are use and comfortable doing/seeing.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Unless that place is known for this being a norm, that kind of thing is far too much imo.

Right, or wrong we simply don't live in a society culture where that kind of thing is a norm unless otherwise known, stated/noted and so we are not comfortable with it and that imo needs to be respected. I wouldn't want to see it and I certainly wouldn't want my teen daughters to either. Until our culture changes where as that becomes a norm and in our comfort zone (and I see no need for it to do so) then it should imo be respected that this is something we don't do. And I would hate for such a person to then ever say to you "well if you have a problem with it, its your problem". That imo is BS. In our society we don't do these things and that's the way it is. Changing quickly, discretely is one thing if/when necessary but simply walking over to you and your family and dropping everything off we just don't do and so Imo he was very wrong for doing that.

Actually, all the Mammoth Hot Springs are known to be swimsuit optional. Those who are offended by that shouldn't go there. Now I, personally, tend to the shy side so I keep that in mind. The hubby and I hunt out the private two person tubs.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, all the Mammoth Hot Springs are known to be swimsuit optional. Those who are offended by that shouldn't go there. Now I, personally, tend to the shy side so I keep that in mind. The hubby and I hunt out the private two person tubs.

To clarify. I am not offended by someone being nude......go for it. Wife and teenage daughters, not so much.
I just thought it was a little strange for a “dad” to strip full Monty right there on the walkway in front of other families with school age/ teenage kids wading around in the water. He stood there for a minute while putting his shorts on. Not a care in the world how he looked...yikes.

Yes, I know hot springs are clothing optional....but..when all the people (young kids/teenagers) are already in the water with suits on.......and “dad” is the guy standing there in the nude in front of everyone.

Sorry...I think that’s a good story.

Sponsor

Staff online