• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How much skin or base layer shown in the lodge?

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't think it's a question of "englightenment" -- from the survey story, it's that no one wants their photos bouncing around, as it were, on the internet. I have definitely noticed a divide between older and younger generations here. People my age (50) and up are much less self conscious about things like public nudity, personal grooming etc. But it does show that cultural habits can change.

I asked a French friend about the change in sun bathing attire on French beaches from less covered to more top coverage. There was a time one one could purchase just the bottom half of a women's bathing suit. As explained to me, the trend is partly the prospect of turning up on the internet as an object and also French women wanted more mystery to share exclusively share with their partners. Vive le difference.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We’ve been changing car side at the beach for years. Is there really anyone who can’t remive one piece of clothing from under another? I can strip off all the base layers and leave my shirt on. Mr. Bean showed us all how to do it!
Go to 2:20

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You've never been around questionable changing habits until you've travelled with a high school or college marching band!

For skiing I wear a pair of nylon running short under my ski pants. Over the base layer if I'm using one, over the skivvies if I'm not. They also give that last little layer for cold chair rides. Because no one needs, or should have to, see this anywhere near naked! I keep my six pack in a cooler.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife and I went rafting near St. Anton, Austria quite a few years ago. Before the trip they had us put on wet suits.

After rafting we just pulled over into a field and they had everyone change out of their wet suits right there in the open.

Very weird compared to how things are here. No modesty in Europe....

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Most lodges have bathrooms with stalls.

Just sayin'

... with disgusting floors I don't want to step on in bare feet or accidentally drag my clothes on.
I do sometimes change in the bathroom if I can find a dry corner, not a stall.

Sugarbush has two changing rooms attached to the downstairs bag storage room. I only realized this recently when I was in there very late so the shelves were empty and I could see across the room.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Public nudity or near nudity has always been most popular here in California. Although often officially against policy or law, local officials in the wisdom of a reasonable pragmatic level of American freedom look the other way where such has become known and accepted. I grew up in an era when Jr and Sr high school physical education classes were mandatory as well as take a open shower after such. Also 4 years in the military haha. Much has changed since.

I personally am on the more conservative modest side exposing whatever in public because I don't want to make others feel awkward or uneasy. There are certainly a range of situations beyond skiing. Thus when at ski resort lots don't undress standing outside my vehicle but rather do so inside my car while sitting. If there are others walking about nearby will use one of 2 large towels always in the car to do so beneath. Although some larger people might find doing so inside a car awkward, as a small wiry person such is trivial.

I also considerably hike, backpack, and visit Pacific beaches with similar issues. Out in our wilderness backcountry not a few people tend to revel in the notion of skinny dipping regardless of others about however such is controversial there too. As someone notorious for jumping into even chilly water daily in the backcountry a I much like being clean versus grubby, even there I do so modestly unless obviously remote and alone. Here 2016 along the PCT and John Muir Trail near our camp spot on Mono Creek where several healthy young women were also taking a rest break:

PS0356dw.jpg

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup..I've changed in the parking lot of various mountain bike venues..what can you do? Takes 10 seconds, I keep the junk out of sight as best as possible and all's well. I mean, in the big picture, don't we have bigger fish to fry???

Four pages and nobody answers your question you must be kind of a big deal around here.
Sardines. Most fish are bigger than sardines..................Is that a sardine in your pocket? nah its a banana
So back on topic i guess it's ok for me to not feel self conscious going down to the tighties in the lodge?
Not gonna parade around or anything but i don't like to wear the baselayer under my party pants, unless it is very windy and cold, like below zero with a wind chill of machkalt.
Another question, are most baselayer bottoms black? Mine are.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor