• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How much skin or base layer shown in the lodge?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
A few years back I was in the base lodge at Hunter NY and a guy slips out of his ski pants and he had PJ's on. Not what you would call a base layer by any means and not even the type of lounging pants that the college kids ware in the dorm. He was standing by the pizza stand and folding his ski pants and a woman (a complete stranger to me) turns to me and said "It is amazing what passes for decency today". I was not comfortable with it and some people are offended by stuff like that. In the past I have used sweatpants under ski pants and nobody ever said any thing to me and they were very comfortable when skiing.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's not like we're running around in speedos and such......lol People can be so uptight. I'm perfectly comfortable in my base layers around the lodge. Usually throw on a pair of shorts over the CW-X bottoms.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
As much exposure as one might experience at the beach or swim pool would be a reasonable limit.
Certainly our present day "culture" accepts that limit. Though aesthetics vary, human form is part and parcel with life.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How I look in my baselayers
Screenshot_20180330-211230.png

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
, IMO. Americans, for the most part, have way bigger hangups about body exposure than most of the rest of the world, bordering on obsessive in many cases.
Your right imo we/they do......but if you'll notice the number of (what we might call) cute, or funny, or some sarcastic, or just in general unusual comments in this thread that have already arrived via whats been (relatively speaking) only a rather very small amount of posts, you can see why we are that way.
For the most part we are simply just not built/molded nor wired quite the same way. And this topic is just one of the many differences.
If we were wired the same none of those comments would have been made because it would be no big deal. But we are not so they are. But imo that doesn't at all make anyone elses ways correct nor the American ways wrong.

I mean who is ever to decide other ways are more correct or not? We also believe in numbers of other different given etiquettes as well like a sense of order as for waiting in lines for one small example and many other different codes of conduct in many other aspects of our daily life. Many of which imo are better. Im not making any americans vs others thing out of this but honestly what you mention above is something often mentioned by many people. But why does our general culture and moral ideologies as for exposure need to change? Why is the other way better or more correct? We in general tend to value or place exposure at a higher level of moral etiquette. Others not so much. Why is that wrong or somehow worse and why exactly would that need to change?

In general I personally don't mind people changing (to some degree) in the lodge or heck at the car. I look at that as taking care of business for something we need to do in order to ski. If Im close to the mountain I'll where my ski pants to the resort. If im driving a good length of time I will where sweat pants with my long under garments (like long johns) (if we still call them that) under my sweats as well as a top. Usually slip off the sweats and slip on the ski pants in the parking lot. Then do the opposite before leaving. Imo slipping down to bare skin is a bit much in the lodge not to be done in the bathroom but why necessary I don't know. Why wouldn't you just wear a long john, undrarmor, bottom/top whatever the case under your clothes so as not to have to get down to an almost naked state anyway? Ok so my American ways about me or at least my family instilled morals about me, Like not walking into an establishment with no shirt on, or taking hat off in a restaurant, but that's how Im wired and how I was raised and this is where I live and is what we generally do. But I don't have a need to change that nor do I think other ways are better or more correct.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
BTW, I'm not but just curious.
I guess I'm okay with it because I'm one of them.
Mind you, I don't strip down to my sports bra, but I do take my ski pants off and put a puffy skirt on over my base layers.
If I think I'm going to feel like going further on top, I'll wear a strappy tank top instead of a bra.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Had a bizarre sight in Hinterglemm one summer. Some German mtb girls clearly without any inhibitions doing a full towel off change in the parking lot juxtaposed by a large Orthodox Jewish group in full wigs, thick woollen overcoats etc. It was nearly 90 F.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Back in '67 when I learned to ski, our family would change at the car in the parking lot. There would be a fury of clothes flying about, sometime down to just boxers or briefs. Legs stretched out on the dashboard, legs out the window, hopping on one foot while trying to keep the pants or long underwear from getting snow on them.

In contrast, if I went with my friend's family: The dad would drive to the ski area wearing a suit and tie and everyone would go to the restrooms to dress.

As long as the dressing took place in plenty of time to make 1st chair, I was OK with either method.

I'm usually too busy putting myself together to notice anyone else's state of dress, and I know if someone glances at me with my "base layer" on, they won't be looking for long......

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess I'm okay with it because I'm one of them.
Mind you, I don't strip down to my sports bra, but I do take my ski pants off and put a puffy skirt on over my base layers.
If I think I'm going to feel like going further on top, I'll wear a strappy tank top instead of a bra.
Yes. This. Best invention ever, the après' ski skirt. I have, though, stripped down to sports bra/underwear in the parking lot discreetly & fast to change clothes. :cool:

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm usually too busy putting myself together to notice anyone else's state of dress, and I know if someone glances at me with my "base layer" on, they won't be looking for long......
Yea, one thing I hate when in a hotel bathroom is the ugly naked guy whos always in the mirror looking at you......and every hotel has one.
I mean he use to have a darn good physique when I was young but now it looks like a wildebeest threw-up and is quite scary.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
As someone who used to change in parking lots when I surfed you can change stealthily and fast without showing anything. I see it no different with changing your ski pants/top etc after skiing in the lodge or parking lot. Base layers, pajamas, sweats underneath no matter to me. Another vote for the après skirt, best invention ever.

Sponsor

Staff online