• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like the exact same bubble 6-pack we got here at Killington. Powdr must have gotten a quantity discount. Killington.is still sorting this thing out with frequent stoppages due to loading, unloading and other issues. I was stuck on it for almost 10 minutes today before they could get it going again.

john lantz

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Saw on Twitter that it's still closed this week .How hard is it getting around the mountain without this lift?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw on Twitter that it's still closed this week .How hard is it getting around the mountain without this lift?
It's not too hard, depending on the level of skier. Beginners should take the bus to the West Village and stick there and Timberline, avoiding returning to Center Village at all costs. I hope they have signs up warning beginners to head to West Village rather than returning to Center.

Advanced skiers can ski the whole mountain from the Eagle, but I'd also avoid going back Center Village as there must be capacity issues with just one lift. I generally start my day on the Eagle and never return to Center Village until I'm done, so it's not a big deal if you know your way around. The only trick is using the Storm King T-bar to get to Copper Bowl via Lillie G or the Sierra lift via Upper Enchanted Forest (follow the path up the hill by the Rendezvous Lift to get over there).

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^this

You can use Union or a combination of Union and Timberline to cover most anything you would do off of Flyer. Just take the bus to west village or do the relatively short walk from center village (unless you have little ones then I definitely recommend the bus) . Yes both Union and Timberline are extremely popular lifts and can be very busy with lines along with the need to use 2 lifts but they still will work to get you around.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Quite the line at the Eagle at 11:10 am, but Super Bee is still a minimal wait.

Webcams_-_Center_Village.jpg

Webcams_-_Super_Bee.jpg

Just watching for a few minutes I've seen the Eagle stop a couple times, as @SBrown predicted.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Copper posted on FB and their website today that the Tramway Board is onsite and testing on Flyer began yesterday. Statement said 3 days to a week of testing so it sounds like it should be open next weekend if not before. Maybe a New Year's Day opening?

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Eagle and Timberline have been miserable since the 27th. Everywhere else ski on as usual. Avoiding Timberline without Flyer is a royal pain.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I've been very patient with Copper but this is officially a disaster for them. I had a friend in town for 4 days who had never skied Copper before. He had no idea they were replacing two major lifts. Eagle shut down multiple times today for more than 30 minutes leaving hundreds stranded with basically no way out of Center Village. He loved the mountain but wow what a cluster f#ck with NO communication whatsoever. They need to be talking to public every damn day about the nitty gritty details of what's going on. I heard a lot of people grumbling they would never return to Copper in the lift lines and lodges today. You cannot over communicate. Flyer didn't appear to really be doing anything for the last two days. This will be a case study in piss poor execution.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's hard to believe that Copper missed the entire holiday week with the new Flyer lift. Killington got their new LP bubble 6-pack open pretty much on schedule, right after Thanksgiving. Not without some early issues and still sorting out how to get full chairs loaded and unloaded without running the lift at less than full speed. I will be interested to hear what problems Copper ran into with their new bubble 6-pack.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Flyer didn't appear to really be doing anything for the last two days. This will be a case study in piss poor execution.
From the outside, it sure seems LP isn't too motivated to get these lifts done. I wonder what the performance dates and clauses say in the contract? Given how late Copper signed the contracts putting them last in line, is it possible LP isn't feeling any pain yet?

Just speculation, but maybe Copper's choices were to build the lifts this year with no guarantees on the delivery date or wait until next year with firm dates. The lifts were announced just after the IKON deal. I can see how Copper needed to wait for IKON to be finalized before signing for this big investment in lifts.

With the hindsight of the Flyer being down for Christmas, they should have waited until next year. Or, pushed to have the Flyer done first given the greater capacity needs on the beginner side of the mountain. I hope they can come clean and communicate and apologize, but the contract with LP could limit what they can say.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been very patient with Copper but this is officially a disaster for them. I had a friend in town for 4 days who had never skied Copper before. He had no idea they were replacing two major lifts. Eagle shut down multiple times today for more than 30 minutes leaving hundreds stranded with basically no way out of Center Village. He loved the mountain but wow what a cluster f#ck with NO communication whatsoever. They need to be talking to public every damn day about the nitty gritty details of what's going on. I heard a lot of people grumbling they would never return to Copper in the lift lines and lodges today. You cannot over communicate. Flyer didn't appear to really be doing anything for the last two days. This will be a case study in piss poor execution.

Blessing in disguise? ogwink

Can you imagine how bad this would have been if it were a low snow year like last year ... at least the entire mountain is open, so you can get off the base (eventually) and get somewhere else. Although the T-Rex line I saw was one of the worst ... singles line extended past two towers. Looked like ABasin on opening day.

mmascolino

Booting up
Skier
Before Christmas I was at Winter Park and happened to sit at the same lunch table as two LP workers who were there to build their Gondola. They looked battered, worn out and just beat down. They mentioned the early significant snow really slowed them down.

Sponsor

Staff online