• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Have they made any attempt to communicate what the issues are with American Eagle? Since the lift has become operational, it has broken down many times. It interfered with the Grand Prix and Revolution Tour events in the halfpipe. During both events, athletes were left stranded on the chair for 30-45 minutes. The event coordinators in both cases relied on snowmobiles to get athletes to the top of the course. Yesterday, people were stranded on the chair for over 30 minutes. Copper was able to get everyone off the lift without an evacuation, but Eagle was then shutdown for an hour + while lift maintenance fixed the issue.

This is a brand new chair. They say the technology is "state of the art". What is the deal? It seems like every time Copper tries to institute new technology, it only serves to further disrupt the operation and slow down the flow of traffic. IMO, they still haven't worked out all the bugs with the RFID turnstiles they installed last season.
We are less than a month to the On Snow portion of SIA at Copper.
Just saying...

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I'm thinking Dustin is really busy with lots of problems right now and this is just one of them. Lots of change going on at Copper and it has created some "disorganization" in a lot of areas. Copper used to have best snow stake around and now it sucks....

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
Copper posted they will be making the big announcement soon on flyer. Hopefully for tomorrow?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For the locals -
Do you think these new lifts will impact the On Snow in a few weeks?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh good, what a relief. It would have been a holiday disaster repeat come MLK weekend. Thanks to all the folks who put in the long hours getting it going!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't win. Kokomo lift has been down for a day and a half:
https://twitter.com/CopperCOMMS

It's was running on diesel Saturday and there was somebody working ALL day on an electrical box inside the upper shack that must be for the motor.

There is very little true beginner terrain at Copper without Kokomo.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't win. Kokomo lift has been down for a day and a half:
https://twitter.com/CopperCOMMS

It's was running on diesel Saturday and there was somebody working ALL day on an electrical box inside the upper shack that must be for the motor.

There is very little true beginner terrain at Copper without Kokomo.

This is one of my irritations with the whole thing ... Copper's lifts have been brutal in the past few years. But it seemed like Eagle and Flyer worked ok. Instead of fixing Reso, Super Bee, and the other lifts that are always breaking, they replace the ones that actually usually worked ok.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is one of my irritations with the whole thing ... Copper's lifts have been brutal in the past few years. But it seemed like Eagle and Flyer worked ok. Instead of fixing Reso, Super Bee, and the other lifts that are always breaking, they replace the ones that actually usually worked ok.

I agree but Kokomo is only a year or two old right?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is the new Kokomo's second season. It's a Doppelmayr HSQ. It's been a fantastic improvement over the old slow triple. Guess we can't blame LP for this one.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good news! As rumors had it, they plan to fix the f'd Flyer this summer by adding some new towers, per an email from the "President" (Dustin Lyman):

Our $100 million multi-year transformation continues this summer with several projects both on and off the mountain. The new Tucker Mountain lift will provide access to fantastic expert terrain that was previously accessible via snowcat or hiking only. It will run from the base of the Blackjack lift to the top of The Taco. Solitude Station will be no more as of the 2020/21 season as we are constructing a brand new 25,000 square foot mid-mountain lodge that will include a full-service casual restaurant, full-service bar and lounge, private dining area, cafeteria options and incredible views of the Ten Mile Range.

We will also be working with Leitner Poma to make necessary upgrades to our new chairlifts, including additional lift towers to support and optimize the American Flyer for next season. Additional construction will continue in Center Village as we look to reinvent the “lawn” area that exists between the American Flyer and American Eagle lifts. This will become an exceptional venue for live music and summer event.
The Flyer has been a mess all season. They were only loading five people on the six-seat lift the last part of the season. My kids and I had to dive out of the way of a chair rolling back at us while we were standing at the loading platform. I talked to someone who said all the remaining issues were a result of too much slack in the line and they expect a few more towers will fix it.

So what's the new name for Solitude Station? I guess Solitude is not a great name for somewhere you want a bunch of people to go to after a major investment.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is my last of many pictures of Tucker Mountain without the lift. I took this on the second to last day before Copper Bowl closed for the season.

IMG_20190409_133532.jpg

Looks like there's some cleanup to do in Freemont One from the slide during the large avalanche cycle. You can still see a bit of the avalanche crown at the treeline of the run on the left. The next run over is Valentines. An avalanche created it on Valentine's day 2014. It didn't exist before that and the trees were as thick as either side.

IMG_20190409_133458 (2).jpg

By chance, I rode the Gondola with four employees from Leitner Poma a few weeks ago. A couple of engineers and a couple of PM's. They were super nice guys and genuinely cared about their product. Very proud of the Eagle, rightfully so as it's working great, and a bit embarrassed about the Flyer but they seemed determined to make it right this summer.

They said the Tucker lift would be "easy" since it's a fixed grip. They have a date for load testing set in October. The only hard part is they have to fly everything in including the top lift shack, their smallest model because of the weight limit, so it's tiny. It will have a nice view, though.

They didn't know who was building the new ski patrol outpost, but it's not LP. Is someone going to fly in the materials for a 1000 s.f. building, or can they drive it up the cat track?

I noticed reading the scoping letter again that there will be a new cell tower on top of Tucker. It will be fantastic to finally have service back there.

Here are the FS docs and map with the details:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=53100

Last edited:

Andrew Pitts

Booting up
Skier
This is my last of many pictures of Tucker Mountain without the lift. I took this on the second to last day before Copper Bowl closed for the season.

View attachment 72202

Looks like there's some cleanup to do in Freemont One from the slide during the large avalanche cycle. You can still see a bit of the avalanche crown at the treeline of the run on the left. The next run over is Valentines. An avalanche created it on Valentine's day 2014. It didn't exist before that and the trees were as thick as either side.

View attachment 72201

By chance, I rode the Gondola with four employees from Leitner Poma a few weeks ago. A couple of engineers and a couple of PM's. They were super nice guys and genuinely cared about their product. Very proud of the Eagle, rightfully so as it's working great, and a bit embarrassed about the Flyer but they seemed determined to make it right this summer.

They said the Tucker lift would be "easy" since it's a fixed grip. They have a date for load testing set in October. The only hard part is they have to fly everything in including the top lift shack, their smallest model because of the weight limit, so it's tiny. It will have a nice view, though.

They didn't know who was building the new ski patrol outpost, but it's not LP. Is someone going to fly in the materials for a 1000 s.f. building, or can they drive it up the cat track?

I noticed reading the scoping letter again that there will be a new cell tower on top of Tucker. It will be fantastic to finally have service back there.

Here are the FS docs and map with the details:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=53100

Great info, thanks. Has anyone heard if they are planning any sort of hike or cat access over to Jacque peak?

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Bachelor has numerous ongoing lift issues. They are also owned by the same Corp. coincident.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great info, thanks. Has anyone heard if they are planning any sort of hike or cat access over to Jacque peak?
What I've heard is they want to figure out lift-served Tucker before expanding the snowcat operation. They've hired a bunch of patrollers, but they'll have to see the call volume and how thing goes on Tucker. There's a concern that there's no hike filtering folks and no easy way down, not even a single diamond black run, just double blacks.

The current thought is to eventually expand the snowcat operation onto the backside of Tucker Mountain where they can patrol it from the Tucker Outpost, as they would need an additional patrol outpost to serve Jacques. Hopefully Jaques will come sooner rather than later. They've been talking about a Tucker lift for, what, 20 years?

Here's the final map of Copper Bowl and Tucker without a lift:

Tucker_mountain_ski _map.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor