• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AJP

Booting up
Skier
Tram lines can get long (prob the only line you'll see at big sky) due to the very low uphill capacity. A year or two ago they switched out the old double at challenger to a fixed grip triple. Even though its not a high speed detachable it cut the time from 14 to 9 minutes on challenger. From the top of challenger you have endless options and can keep an eye on the tram line. I think challenger is one of the most underrated lifts in north america.

Bucks T-4 is great and def worth a stop.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the thorough response!

My pops and I are both advanced aggressive skiers that like to challenge ourselves and push it a bit. I don't like to use the word expert because I know there's a level of technique we both don't posses but anytime we've gone out west regardless of the mountain we ski primarily black, double blacks but we mostly explore. Love chutes just as much as bowls. We really like to ski it all. It's all about the challenge, some good snow and making turns.

Getting stoked!

Based on the description of what you like, the can't miss would be the skiing off of Challenger/Headwaters chairs depending on recent snow/wind loading. The tram of course and the Dakota chair. Know in advance that you will clack rocks no mater how deep the base, so if you rent skis pay the extra $1 a day for the base repairs.

There are many good tree runs and typically those that face north have the best snow, but not always. The mountain ambassadors won't take guests on anything more difficult than a blue square, but may point out stuff.
The Skier's Guide to the Biggest Skiing in America, featuring Big Sky Resort and Lone Mountain Ranch by Jeff Stickler is worth it for insight on every trail and a few places off the map. A few places in the village sell it

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier

Mike D

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thought we'd get a copy of the Skier's Guide before we arrive. & yes saw the $$$$ on Amazon. Me & my sweet significant other arrive in Big Sky 2/13ish for a week. We live west of Denver. Vail is a favorite. Can't wait to ski the Bigger Big Sky!

Rio

Putting on skis
Skier
For those that are keeping track, the latest storm came and went as advertised. In a normal year, you expect about half the storms they forecast in January to actually arrive and deposit significant snowfall. This is not a normal year since almost every storm they forecast a week out has materialized. Yesterday's storm dropped 8" in Big Sky and 3" at Bridger Bowl. A bigger storm is forecast to arrive late Thursday and linger through Saturday or Sunday with the forecast showing more storms lining up every 4 or 5 days for the next few weeks.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
+1 to this. Don't be dissuaded by the $5000+ price on Amazon. It's maybe $12.95. It's unfortunate that you can't buy it on Amazon or somewhere.

https://visitbigskymt.com/skiers-guide-to-the-biggest-skiing-in-america/
Wow didn't realize the book was $5K on Amazon. I'm not a shill for the author, but the book has good insight to skiing Big Sky and answers a lot of questions for those new to the area. Bear in mind a few trails were added this year like Wild Bill and a few changed names like Wounded Knee which is called Spotted Elk.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wow didn't realize the book was $5K on Amazon. I'm not a shill for the author, but the book has good insight to skiing Big Sky and answers a lot of questions for those new to the area. Bear in mind a few trails were added this year like Wild Bill and a few changed names like Wounded Knee which is called Spotted Elk.

That's some sort of bizarro Amazon third-party pricing. thinking I should buy a stack on my next trip and sell them through Amazon for a lot less than that - profit still possible! It's too bad the author/publisher hasn't set up some sort of sales mechanism through Amazon - it would be a great way to expand sales.

Anyway, always chuckled that "Wounded Knee" really wasn't the most appealing trail name for any skier. It's also probably not an event (the Wounded Knee massacre/Battle of Wounded Knee) that's worthy of celebration. Note that "Spotted Elk" was the name of the Lakota chief who was killed during this battle.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's some sort of bizarro Amazon third-party pricing. thinking I should buy a stack on my next trip and sell them through Amazon for a lot less than that - profit still possible! It's too bad the author/publisher hasn't set up some sort of sales mechanism through Amazon - it would be a great way to expand sales.

Anyway, always chuckled that "Wounded Knee" really wasn't the most appealing trail name for any skier. It's also probably not an event (the Wounded Knee massacre/Battle of Wounded Knee) that's worthy of celebration. Note that "Spotted Elk" was the name of the Lakota chief who was killed during this battle.

The Cave in the meadow Village had copies of Dr Stickler's book for sale a while back and will check the next time I am in there. The glade needed a name change after the mtn bike trail was cut through and banking was added and Spotted Elk is in keeping with the Native American themed trail names.

mcl116

Booting up
Skier
Whats the deal with skiing Big Couloir?

I think i've read that you need a beacon and other BC gear to ski it but I've seen a couple of videos of people skiing it that don't seem to have that...

What are the conditions like in there right now?

Seen a couple of videos of people less skill than I make it down and would love to cross something like that off my list of runs skied!

Last edited:
TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Whats the deal with skiing Big Couloir?

I think i've read that you need a beacon and other BC gear to ski it but I've seen a couple of videos of people skiing it that don't seem to have that...

Need avvy gear (shovel, probe, beacon), a partner, and need to sign up/out. IIRC they have 15 minute windows or something, so not a lot of people can go per day. And of course patrol determines whether it's open on a given day - open today doesn't mean open tomorrow.

mcl116

Booting up
Skier
Need avvy gear (shovel, probe, beacon), a partner, and need to sign up/out. IIRC they have 15 minute windows or something, so not a lot of people can go per day. And of course patrol determines whether it's open on a given day - open today doesn't mean open tomorrow.

ahh damn guess I won't get to put it on my skiing resume this time around then.

Looks like there's plenty of other stuff off the top that will get the blood flowing!

Rio

Putting on skis
Skier
Skiing the Big Coulier can be a logistical nightmare if the tram is having a busy day. Its tough luck if you miss your time slot because the tram has long lines. Go ski the dictator chutes (other than Marx & Lenin) if you're looking for a challenge. The chutes in the Nashville Bowl (AKA Headwater chutes) are great, also, but be careful in flat light as they get steeper towards the bottom, something that catches skiers off guard.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Big sky is skiing amazingly well at the moment.
As @Rio mentioned the “ snow squalls “ yesterday dumped a solid 8 of super fluffy and still found untracked wind blown this afternoon.
If your heading up the tram or headwaters you can come away unscathed but a lot of people are not so lucky.

Edit: official mountain total 8 - 11, feels like 12 to 18 in spots FWIW

Last edited:

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
The chutes in the Nashville Bowl (AKA Headwater chutes) are great, also, but be careful in flat light as they get steeper towards the bottom, something that catches skiers off guard.
Some of the Headwaters Chutes cliff out if you don't traverse to the correct gully.

mcl116

Booting up
Skier
Trying to figure out if its worth it to bring my own skis or rent.

I have a pair of 216 Brahmas with 88 waist.

Advice?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would bring 'em and maybe rent something fat for powder day or so.

Rio

Putting on skis
Skier

Advice?

I would recommend doing both. One of the sheer joys of skiing Big Sky is having the wide open groomers all to yourself during the week. The Brahmas would be great for cruising the groomers and playing on when it hasn't snowed for a few days. For powder days or general crud skiing I'd rent something.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier

Advice?

FWIW there are a couple of good rental shops, one at the base and one in the "meadow" with a pretty good set of options. That said, I haven't tried to rent powder skis on a pow day, and I could see that demand might outstrip supply.

I've rented those very skis (I assume you mean 2016) at Lone Mountain Sports (may have been 2015 model), so depending on the length of your stay and the airline fees to bring skis that renting is cheaper than packing. They'll swap out skis if you want to demo different things (or just want a different feel).

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe it is proximity to the Yellowstone Club, but I think performance ski rentals at Big Sky are expensive (or I am frugal). Shipping skis can work too if you have enough time. That said it is a rare day at Big Sky when I wished I had 88 underfoot versus 110. If you rent get the insurance in case you clack a few shark's teeth

mcl116

Booting up
Skier
Appreciate all the answers!

We spend 95% of our time off piste. Really only use groomed trails to get around and to warm up.

In terms of current conditions and forecasted snow (seems like a solid 1-3 inches each day?) I should just rent something a bit wider?

Getting so stoked!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online