• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcl116

Booting up
Skier
Getting closer and closer to my trip and seeing plenty of days of expected snow in the forecast! Can't wait!

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Getting closer and closer to my trip and seeing plenty of days of expected snow in the forecast! Can't wait!

I will be at Big Sky from Jan 29 through the fifth. Yes, it is looking good up there!

Rio

Putting on skis
Skier
The storm arrived warm and wet. Big Sky got 3-5" of most likely dense powder. Meanwhile, Bridger got 8-11" of base building snow. It makes for great first turns but sloppy seconds aren't as fun as the normal powder around here. I won't complain as it builds the base up for February and March, which is when we get most of our snow.

Rio

Putting on skis
Skier
Damn, this storm had a second wave to it with colder temperatures. Bozeman and Bridger have got 2 to 3 inches in the past few hours and its still snowing hard. The temperature at Bridger is now in the low 20s. Not sure what is happening at Big Sky but the 8800 cam has shown snow the past few hours and the base snowstake has gone from 3 to 5 inches.

mcl116

Booting up
Skier
I think I like what I'm reading!

Getting really excited as I see predicted snow on most days for the 10 day forecast. Doesn't look like any big dumps coming though.

Could anybody provide some suggestions on can't miss runs, awesome areas of the mountain to explore?

Also looking for good food and beverage suggestions? Must have dishes? Have to check out bars/restaurants?

Any other fun activities around that we should look into when we're there?

Thanks!

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier

Getting really excited as I see predicted snow on most days for the 10 day forecast. Doesn't look like any big dumps coming though.

Could anybody provide some suggestions on can't miss runs, awesome areas of the mountain to explore?

Also looking for good food and beverage suggestions? Must have dishes? Have to check out bars/restaurants?

Thanks!
Big Sky rarely gets "big dumps" a little fresh or even wind is enough for fresh tracks. Big Sky has a lot of awesome areas and depending on the fresh snow and wind the "awesome" can be on different areas of the mtn. On cold days south facing runs off of Shedhorn or Dakota are warmer. After some sun north facing runs at Moonlight can be fluffy. At 5,000+ acres there is always something good.

Food: Buck's T-4 or the Cabin are good but expensive.

Activities: Going on a sleigh ride dinner or going into Yellowstone are fun activities, but you may need reservations.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Another great day at Big Sky. Cold squeaky snow. 7-8 inches in the past 36 hours. We're seeing a lot of folks from overseas looking for the great conditions. Weather forecast for the next 10-14 days continue to look good. 100% of the mountain is open. Trees are great, Tram is great, and the first guy to try the Little Couloir in a while came down today. Still no lift lines.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier

Thanks!

Without knowing your level and what you like to ski, it's tough to say. Anyway, Elk Park Ridge is a great intermediate trail - either for warmup/cooldown or just to take in a trail with great views (off of Ramcharger lift). Hangman's is used for racing but can be great especially if there's a little blowing snow. Go up to the Bowl, and go as far around Turkey Traverse as you want before you drop in - it gets steeper the further around you go (other than the first bit). Upper Morningstar is another great way down for intermediate or a view. Don't be obsessed with the Peak - if the tram lines are long you can get as much advanced/expert skiing off of Challenger (including the Headwaters side) - but of course it's worth a trip to the top at some point, if conditions allow (and if they don't you can take the tram just for the view.

Meals - Buck's T-4 as mentioned. Also look at Rainbow Ranch. Both are on pricier side. Gallatin Riverhouse has great BBQ and bar - less expensive. Lotus Pad Thai is excellent Thai food.

Meal/Activity - Another one I forgot to mention is the Montana Dinner Yurt. You go up in sno-cats to a Yurt where you get served a really good dinner (you choose salmon or steak in advance, BYOB). There's time before dinner for cocktails/kids playing out in snow (and adults).

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
+1 on Bucks T4. Recommend the bison steak.

For lunch we like Shedhorn Grill, the cafeteria at Madison base and the Moonlight Tavern in Moonlight Basin Lodge. Have not tried Everette's

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Everette's food and ambiance are great, expensive and big portions. Make reservations or eat at some of the bar high tops and make some friends. I suggest you share something with a friend or it will be more food than you may want for a skier's lunch. The $8 cheeseburger and fries at Hummer's in the Plaza is also hard to beat.
Snow conditions are good. Expecting a few inches of snow over the next 36 hours. As far as I know we're 100% open.
For advice on specific trail conditions you might ask a Mountain Host (bright green jackets) or take a 90 minute mountain tour to see for yourself.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am pretty sure that the Moonlight Lodge is all private this year. While I rarely eat on the mountain, the yurt off of Shedhorn is a fun spot. Everett's is $$$$

Rio

Putting on skis
Skier
Blue Moon Bakery is one of my favorites. They have great pastries, cookies and pizza by the slice. It is tucked away in the town center area. We usually hit it on the way to and from the mountain.

Another popular place is the Lone Mountain Brewery. It serves classic brewpub food.

mcl116

Booting up
Skier
Without knowing your level and what you like to ski, it's tough to say. Anyway, Elk Park Ridge is a great intermediate trail - either for warmup/cooldown or just to take in a trail with great views (off of Ramcharger lift). Hangman's is used for racing but can be great especially if there's a little blowing snow. Go up to the Bowl, and go as far around Turkey Traverse as you want before you drop in - it gets steeper the further around you go (other than the first bit). Upper Morningstar is another great way down for intermediate or a view. Don't be obsessed with the Peak - if the tram lines are long you can get as much advanced/expert skiing off of Challenger (including the Headwaters side) - but of course it's worth a trip to the top at some point, if conditions allow (and if they don't you can take the tram just for the view.

Meals - Buck's T-4 as mentioned. Also look at Rainbow Ranch. Both are on pricier side. Gallatin Riverhouse has great BBQ and bar - less expensive. Lotus Pad Thai is excellent Thai food.

Meal/Activity - Another one I forgot to mention is the Montana Dinner Yurt. You go up in sno-cats to a Yurt where you get served a really good dinner (you choose salmon or steak in advance, BYOB). There's time before dinner for cocktails/kids playing out in snow (and adults).

Thanks for the thorough response!

My pops and I are both advanced aggressive skiers that like to challenge ourselves and push it a bit. I don't like to use the word expert because I know there's a level of technique we both don't posses but anytime we've gone out west regardless of the mountain we ski primarily black, double blacks but we mostly explore. Love chutes just as much as bowls. We really like to ski it all. It's all about the challenge, some good snow and making turns.

Getting stoked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online