• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doin1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
A number of points here. I never know what is a wind hold and what is another issue like avalanche control. Powder Seeker , like other Alpine chairs, will not open until ALL avalanche control above the chair is completed. FYI, I'm told the same pitch that provides great expert skiing is the critical range for avalanches. Steeper and the snow will fall off on it's own, a little shallower and it is less challenging but also less likely to slide.

One or two additional blue runs will be added near the new Shedhorn Quad to allow more intermediates to share the experience of the backside of Lone Peak.

Powder Seeker proves the adage that "If we build it they will come". The line is usually short but there are 4-5 or 6 folks on most chairs when conditions are good in th eBowl and Upper Morningstar. The improved char has attracted a lot of skiers and everyone I know agrees there is enough terrain to absorb the traffic. I'm guessing they're expecting the same thing with the new chair on Andesite.

2020-2021 gondola design is not finalized but it will probably be a two stage with a mid mountain stopover. It may provide space for ski school students at a new mid mountain location. Food, restrooms and other facilities would be there to support ski school. The second stage of the gondola line will take guests to an as yet undetermined terminus near either the base of the Tram or the Powder Seeker. Another smaller restaurant would be located at this location. Moving the ski school and most of the magic carpets would relieve congestion in the base area and take a lot of traffic off Swift Current. Explains why new chair next year goes toward Andesite Mtn.

The complete repurposing of the top floor of the old Mall building will be the favorite upgrade for a lot of folks. It's a classy upgrade to the Base area and the first step of a complete remodeling of this building. Everything goes away except the bones of the original building.

More info is available from the "2025 Plan" section of the BS website.

When do you understand the mall remodel to be taking place?

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Night skiing is popular in some places. Does not appeal to me to interrupt the cocktail hour with skiing but I'm told younger folk like it and of course there are the locals with ski passes who might use it.

There are hopes that the top floor remodeling can be completed this year (2018) if they can find a contractor. I'm told the original idea was to remodel 1/2 this year and half in 2019 but a decision was made to make the remodeling more extensive and those upgrades delayed final design and awarding construction contracts.

Doin1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Night skiing is popular in some places. Does not appeal to me to interrupt the cocktail hour with skiing but I'm told younger folk like it and of course there are the locals with ski passes who might use it.

There are hopes that the top floor remodeling can be completed this year (2018) if they can find a contractor. I'm told the original idea was to remodel 1/2 this year and half in 2019 but a decision was made to make the remodeling more extensive and those upgrades delayed final design and awarding construction contracts.

I read somewhere it was to include a elevator and 2 fireplaces. My old knees struggle with the current stairs on the outside.

Rio

Putting on skis
Skier
Maybe if I were local I'd feel differently, but I'm trying to figure out the use case for night skiing. If I'm there I'm usually pretty gassed after a full day from 9-4. I suppose I might want to do a few more turns, like the Spring saturdays with Ramcharger going until 5. Only thing else I could come up with is if I get in on a filght midday you might be able to ski from 2pm to close (say 8pm) when you arrive. I usually think of night skiing for local hills catering to folks who come after work.

There isn't enough local population to support night skiing. My hunch is it will be used like night skiing at my old mountain where almost the entire crowd is either jibers hitting the terrain park & half pipe or racers practicing.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
There isn't enough local population to support night skiing. My hunch is it will be used like night skiing at my old mountain where almost the entire crowd is either jibers hitting the terrain park & half pipe or racers practicing.

Before my time, but I heard that BS offered night skiing years ago with few takers with cool MT nights it isn't hard to figure out why. Night skiing would make for a long day for the patrollers staffing the top shack, first aid room having to do sweeps when the public is off the hill.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I read somewhere it was to include a elevator and 2 fireplaces. My old knees struggle with the current stairs on the outside.
Yes, the newspaper articles note there will be elevator service. The present building has a freight elevator. Don't know just who the new elevator will service.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Back in the early '90's there was night skiing at Big Sky. They rigged lights on Tippy's, not a lot but enough to make skiing possible. As I remember we had races at least one night a week, with teams formed by shops, other businesses, and groups of friends. The courses were relatively easy GS sets so pretty much anyone could ski them. Lot's of fun. It was cold enough that no one wore suits, or I can't remember anyone wearing suits. Since there was night skiing I could work all day and still get turns in after work. Think at least one year I got in over 130 days (or days and nights) because of those lights. Maybe they put lights on the short T-bar near the old employee housing, below and to the skiers right of Silver Knife for ski team training. Maybe I imagine that.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Some end of season info, which also may be relevant for future seasons in terms of lift closures before actual end. (Info about restaurants, etc. omitted; full info at link). All are real estate access lifts except for Lone Moose (which primarily is) and Pony Express.

Monday, April 2
The following lifts will be closed for the remainder of the season:
  • Lone Moose
  • Cabin
  • Homer
  • Tweener
  • Pullup
  • Cascade
  • Little Thunder
Please note, other lifts may close depending on weather conditions.

Monday, April 9
  • Pony Express will close for the remainder of the season.

https://bigskyresort.com/end-of-season

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pony Express is my late to the hill parking spot once Lone Moose closes or is down.

Tip: Lone Moose holds untracked for days after a storm and when the wind comes up closing the upper mountain free refills all day. This will change if Cross Harbors puts in another lift to the top of Flat Iron out of Spanish Peaks.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I understand that this is a really big project that will require careful coordination and hard work to get the new lift installed. Looks like they are attacking the project very aggressively.

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
Recently booked plane tix to BZN for 3/3 weekend. From prior research seems like March is usually a safe bet for good snow coverage?

Anyone have suggestions for lodging? Will have rental car, and not looking for anything fancy. My guess is that Airbnb would be the place to look...
I just recently found a really cute Airbnb in Belgrade, MT for $42/night for March 2019. Granted, it’s about a 1 hr drive from Big Sky. It was pretty much the cheapest option I could find anywhere near Big Sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online