• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best (one ski) Ski School Quiver

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Honestly I teach on whatever I want to freeski on between lesson that day. there is nothing technically incorrect about skiing a wider skis if your movements are correct.

It also depends on alot about my student. My ski choice for a 12 year old L8 will be tons different than 50 year old L5. I just look at the day at see what I should be on, or at least what will work. Some days a wide range will work, on other days i very narrow range will work. Some of my long time teenagers who I started coaching 10+ years ago on some day require me to bring my A game and big mountain skis, other days I go an teach on 177 Ititan. It really depends on the day.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
It's funny because I was thinking of updating my review of the Rallies (as an intermediate skier) about doing drills with them. They are soooo good, at least for me. I am ending the season being able to do some Javelin turns, which was impossible to me last season (I tried a few times and I couldn't even start to pick up a ski before losing balance). I am hoping you love them as much as I love mine :) Of course, you all ski at a much higher level than I do, but I have a good hunch!

Yup, I only took my K2’s Pinicles out two days all season when we had some decent powder, which here in the southern Rockies was pretty far and few between this season:(. Even then as soon as the powder got churned up and packed a bit by say noon I reverted back to the iRally.

I skied them almost 100 days this last season, taught, cliniced and free skied the heck out of them! Just a wonderful ski for any turn size/shape but man they excel at short turns and if you like to lay down railroad tracks at speed they are a ton of fun! To warm up for clinic we often leave one ski at the base and then do one leg drills down green terrain. While correct fundamentals will allow you do that on any ski the iRally really helps make those one ski railroad track hero turns:).

It can be a demanding and stiff ski (depending on a skiers level and what they are used to) but if you drive them they will deliver, great in the bumps as they are so responsive and quick to turn, enjoy them!

James

Out There
Instructor
Dude, 171 mogul ski. Since you talk about moguls endlessly. Then you can stop using 2 small snowboards for moguls.ogsmile Aka fat skis.

Anything will work skiing with the child. Super fat and long would be annoying, but if you're about to go stomp endless pow fields, there's no need to change after dropping off the child.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dude, 171 mogul ski. Since you talk about moguls endlessly. Then you can stop using 2 small snowboards for moguls.ogsmile Aka fat skis.

Anything will work skiing with the child. Super fat and long would be annoying, but if you're about to go stomp endless pow fields, there's no need to change after dropping off the child.
If Mary Jane were still home I'd buy a mogul ski for sure. I just don't think it would be that useful at Copper where I'll mostly be skiing. The bumps are too goofy on all but a couple runs, and I spend a lot of time skiing other than bumps. That's why I relocated to Copper as my home mountain long ago. More about goofy bumps and a POV video of a typical day for me at Copper here:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/mature-bumps.9586/#post-233909

So... back to a groomer ski to make me look like I'm not a hack with my kiddos. Lots of love for the Head Supershapes out there. @James, I believe I saw a post from you saying everybody should own one.

How much better would a Supershape be vs. a Monster (Power Instinct) in helping me demonstrate better groomer turns for our kiddos?

How about either of those Heads vs. the Nrg 80 that is still out there dirt cheap?

Note our kiddos are in the Copper seasonal lesson program. This ski is for the days they are skiing with me and not in lessons. I can also switch skis easily when necessary, so this truly is just for skiing with them.

James

Out There
Instructor
How much better would a Supershape be vs. a Monster (Power Instinct) in helping me demonstrate better groomer turns for our kiddos?
Just get what ski you like. Makes no difference. Since you want to ski slow, and make turns in a smallish space, -short, ie 170, is good with some sidecut. Anything from a slalom ski to a mid 80's carver. Personally I'd stay in 60's - 70's.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Wat James sed.... don't over think it. You shouldn't have a difficult time with almost any of the skis mentioned.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
... Wanting only the best for our children, what's the best ski (or class of skis) one can buy to help demonstrate technically proficient, appropriate turns on groomers for 7 to 10-year-olds. No time to rebuild my skiing from the ground up. ...

A ski that is narrower than your foot will give you mechanical advantage when attempting to tip your ski (this will generally be helpful in precision demos).
A ski that has dimensions roughly in scale to your kids will help you feel something closest to what they're feeling/dealing with in current conditions.

Beyond that (and echoing much of what else has been said) - it's not going to matter what you buy, so buy something you like/want to ski on as an everyday ski.

Something torsionally stiff and about 80mm (or a bit less) underfoot is what I'd go with.

rustypouch

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've been wondering about the same thing. I'll probably attempt CSIA level 3 next season (and fully expect to fail), but I don't have a suitable ski.

I have a wider, playful/slarvy all mountain ski for freeskiing and soft snow, old park skis that I teach on, and FIS slaloms, which are fun and I could use, but are not ideal, especially in the bumps.

I'm leaning towards K2 iKonics or Blizzard Quattros, partially because they have the best pro deals.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
From what I've seen online in csia l3 prep vids, it seems an SL ski for the east for sure, and maybe even for the west, or a slightly wider carver like you mention. For exams, I'd keep the ski design turn radius at 16'ish meters or less. Fwiw skiing bumps in an sl ski shouldn't be a big deal at all for L3 skill sets... and we have to ask, why take an exam that you'd certainly fail?

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I forgot to mention a very good choice for @tball . A 157/8 fis slalom. Would be fun outside of tooling around with the young kids. Short enough to make turns more in line with kids skis, enough substance to make a ripping carve when you want.

As far as exams you should be comfortable on whatever ski you use. But agree with marko. I did mine on a sl ski. Then after in the bar got prescribed, jokingly, time on a fatish ski.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I'd want to take an exam on a ski I ski routinely, that responds how I expect it to respond, and lets me do what I believe I can do comfortably.

As for playing with the kids, you might find a SL ski fun.

rustypouch

Getting on the lift
Skier
From what I've seen online in csia l3 prep vids, it seems an SL ski for the east for sure, and maybe even for the west, or a slightly wider carver like you mention. For exams, I'd keep the ski design turn radius at 16'ish meters or less. Fwiw skiing bumps in an sl ski shouldn't be a big deal at all for L3 skill sets... and we have to ask, why take an exam that you'd certainly fail?

I am in the west. I've tried skiing bumps on SL skis, and they're not my style. A bit too turny, easily led astray by variations in the snow.

Regarding the L3 exams, almost everyone fails them the first time. I'm planning on doing the training, and see from there. Worst case, it's a good price for a couple days learning from a level 4.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I took five tries to pass my PSIA Associate Certified exam (today's LII), but learned enough along the way to pass the Full (today's LIII) first time out. All that was nearly 50 years ago, though.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I am in the west. I've tried skiing bumps on SL skis, and they're not my style. A bit too turny, easily led astray by variations in the snow.

Regarding the L3 exams, almost everyone fails them the first time. I'm planning on doing the training, and see from there. Worst case, it's a good price for a couple days learning from a level 4.

Head Titan or a Quattro 8.4 then.

Deadslow

Getting on the lift
Skier

Hi Rustypouch,

Just a suggestion - take a look at the skis used at WB during the mock ski-off videos posted by Yaz. ( look for Yaz Kawasaki on youtube). A variety of skis being used. There are a number of ski off videos - just dig through them for moguls and see what skis the skiers are on.

P.S. I second the Titan

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
For conditions in Ontario Canada, the instructor ski of choice is the Head Supershape Magnum.

If you read the thread, he said he's in the west. No SG skis for sure.

Sponsor

Staff online